View Full Version : When will v12 release?

mertt
20-05-2004, 10:05 AM
I heard that firmware v12 will be released in 2 weeks time. Is it true and does anyone know the new upgrades of v12?

Milano
20-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I haven't heard anything about it. I just hope it allows SD cards to be used & takes care of the supposed problem v10 caused - volume decrease. If it doesn't, i'll probably just stick with the version I have (7).

mertt
20-05-2004, 12:44 PM
I don't think it'll support SD Card; because it's related with hardware and the design. Also MMC has 7 pins; but SD has 9 pins; so it doesn't support SDs; but it would be really nice if it supported SD Cards. Maybe we'll see it in SX2 which has 262,200 color display.

Milano
20-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Ahh but I think the hardware does support SD cards - I remember reading in another thread where someone disected the phone & found the 9 contacts inside which the SDs have.

Hogath
20-05-2004, 01:29 PM
As I read another place on this forum(I think..), according to customer support at siemens, sx1 supports some sdcards, only they won't tell us which ones. What I think has happened(as often happens in team-projects) is that it was supposed to support sdcards(it does have 9 pins in the slot according to other folks in this forum), but:
1. they had to rush the completion of the phone. OR
2. they were almost done with the phone, design and all, then they find out the sd-support won't work properly without redesigning the phone. Therefore, instead of saying the phone works with SD-cards from for example twinmos and kingston, but not any other brands or something like that, they just save the sd-support for later models.
This way they don't have to seem to be pro/con a specific brand of memory.

This stuff happens in team-projects. You think you'll be able to finish the project, but somethin unexpected shows up....

This is just my opinion.. I challenge Siemens to prove me wrong by releasing a firmware with sdcard-support!

mertt
21-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Do you know how is it in sx2? Does it support SD Cards and when i opened SD Cards' official website i saw that Siemens is also a member of SD Cards. Then SX1 and SX2 may be compatible with SD Cards.

hogath
21-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Do you know how is it in sx2? Does it support SD Cards and when i opened SD Cards' official website i saw that Siemens is also a member of SD Cards. Then SX1 and SX2 may be compatible with SD Cards.

don't know anything about sx2, but since sx1 almost has sd-support, and everyone wants sd-support, I would think siemens would support it on sx2....