View Full Version : Contacts and SMS

Bee
17-05-2004, 09:11 PM
I am having this problem on ma nokia 6600

i have copied all my sim contacts onto my phone
but when i recieve text messages i only get the person who sent the message's number
so instead of the name it will say +44********* even thought i have the persons name stored on the phone.
this also happens when contacts in my phonebook ring me, all i see is their number
this confuses me alot so i was wondering if any of you can help me out...thanks

bee

DickyS3
18-05-2004, 03:19 PM
I have created a new contact and when they ring me it displays their name. But if they text me, all i get is the number! I have even tried storing their number as +44xxxx in the contacts but this doesn't work either!

Can anyone help?

P.S I had the phone today so I would hope it has the latest firmware?

Thanks
Rich.

elton
18-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Mmm Let me Guess " Orange" by any chance?

GRIM REAPER
19-05-2004, 08:48 AM
i'm having this problem on orange uk. apparently it can be sorted with the new firmware. i think it's 4.09.1

anywayz guys, this has already been discussed. try using the search option @ the top. it saves duplication of threads, your time & AAS server space. ;)

dougproctor
19-05-2004, 03:48 PM
New phone does not mean latest firmware! I got mine yesterday, sim free, and it is way behind with firmware updates.
Doug

ozzy_1971
20-05-2004, 06:47 PM
I am having this problem on ma nokia 6600

i have copied all my sim contacts onto my phone
but when i recieve text messages i only get the person who sent the message's number
so instead of the name it will say +44********* even thought i have the persons name stored on the phone.
this also happens when contacts in my phonebook ring me, all i see is their number
this confuses me alot so i was wondering if any of you can help me out...thanks

bee

The reason for this behavior is not the sw you have on it.
It is only that you have COPIED your contacts instead of moving them.

If you have duplicate phone numbers stored in your phone, it won't show up the name of the contact since it is unable to 'decide' which contact to choose.
And it doesn't matter if the numbers match exactly or if one of them start with +44 or whatever and the other one without any country or city code or with 00)
because the phone is verifying the phone numbers by their last (xx) digits.

But this is a typical behavior of all mobile phones I can think of, not only the 6600.

So, if you wanna correct this, simply delete the contacts on your sim and check again.

If the name still doesn't appear it means that there is still another copy of this number left on your phone.

Good luck,

ozzy_1971
20-05-2004, 06:51 PM
New phone does not mean latest firmware! I got mine yesterday, sim free, and it is way behind with firmware updates.
Doug

Dear Doug,

you may consider yourself 'lucky' if you've purchased a 6600 with the initial sw version (3.42.1).

Don't ask me why, just check the threads about the new version (4.09.1)..

Regards,

Bee
21-05-2004, 12:20 AM
The reason for this behavior is not the sw you have on it.
It is only that you have COPIED your contacts instead of moving them.

If you have duplicate phone numbers stored in your phone, it won't show up the name of the contact since it is unable to 'decide' which contact to choose.
And it doesn't matter if the numbers match exactly or if one of them start with +44 or whatever and the other one without any country or city code or with 00)
because the phone is verifying the phone numbers by their last (xx) digits.

But this is a typical behavior of all mobile phones I can think of, not only the 6600.

So, if you wanna correct this, simply delete the contacts on your sim and check again.

If the name still doesn't appear it means that there is still another copy of this number left on your phone.

Good luck,

Hi there
thanks for that, the contacts problem i had seemed to work and is fine now.

However i'm still having a problem checking who has sent me an txt message because each time a txt is sent to me it opens and says the '+44............' number insted of the name in the 'From' field, even though they are in my contacts.

ozzy_1971
22-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Hi there
thanks for that, the contacts problem i had seemed to work and is fine now.

However i'm still having a problem checking who has sent me an txt message because each time a txt is sent to me it opens and says the '+44............' number insted of the name in the 'From' field, even though they are in my contacts.

Hi bee,

are u talking about the messages you've received prior deleting duplicate entries or thereafter ?

Regards,

Bee
23-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi bee,

are u talking about the messages you've received prior deleting duplicate entries or thereafter ?

Regards,

hey there

i am talking about the messages i recieve after deleting the duplicate entrys

:D

mhodgson
25-11-2004, 01:23 PM
hi duncan wts up what lesson u in txt bk to my fone maxine

kalel795
26-11-2004, 03:48 PM
i had the same problem with the txt,

the only way i found to make the phone display the names was to change all the numbers in my phone book to +44 instaed of 07,

this works due to the way the phone reads the contact (more like a computer than a mobile).