View Full Version : General 6600 Problems/Niggles...

grandaddy
10-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi,
I've had my Nokia 6600 For a good few months now and while I've been astounded by some features, I've noticed some problems that are spoiling the overall enjoyment from the phone. I'll list a few here:
1.) Nokia startup tune never plays fully - I never get the full tune when i turn on the phone, usually just a few beeps.
2.)Bluetooth menu crashing - When i access the bluetooth menu when bluetooth is switched on, it is usually very hard to turn it off without it crashing. The only sucessful way I've found is to turn the phone off and on again.
3.) Nokia PC Suite continually crashing - This has been the most frustrating issue I
have. The program will not autorun and when you try to select any of the menu buttons the screen goes white and I have to restart, this may be my PC but everything else works perfectly. The program is pretty much un-useable now.
4.) Phone turns off by itself. Even when its fully charged I can leave the phone and It will turn itself off for no reason.

I decided to post here to see if anyone has had any similar problems, and I'm hoping I could get some advice, as these things are really starting to annoy me.
Many thanks.

Mr Gar
10-05-2004, 02:01 PM
1.) Nokia startup tune never plays fully - I never get the full tune when i turn on the phone, usually just a few beeps.

It cuts out for me too :) Nokia's beta testing's awful.

TychoCaine
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Another thing that's bothering me is that even though I've changed the ringtone in all the profiles, it still insists on using the "Nokia Tune" ringtone sometimes.

N/A
10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I think those were addressed in the 4.09 firmware update. Are you using it or an older version?

TychoCaine
11-05-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm still running the launch firmware. Will the upgrade erase the data on the phone?

N/A
11-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Yes, unless you or the service center backs up the data first, and then restores it afterwards.

Lenepyhe
11-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I think those were addressed in the 4.09 firmware update. Are you using it or an older version?

Hi,

I am suffering from the same initial ringtone interruption prob. In my case it happens randomly.

I had to upgrade the firmware for other reasons: on the one hand, yes, it will erase everything on your N6600 (do a backup before going to Nokia's tech service), and on the other one, the latest firmware version will not solve the initial ringtone issue.

All the best.

joolsvern
11-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Only problem I have is the start up tune - AND THATS NOT A PROBLEM EXCEPT I DONT WANT A STARTUP TUNE. On version 3.42 (or somert like that)

Kajjy
12-05-2004, 03:32 AM

Mine does that as well - still on the old firmware

2.)Bluetooth menu crashing - When i access the bluetooth menu when bluetooth is switched on, it is usually very hard to turn it off without it crashing. The only sucessful way I've found is to turn the phone off and on again.

Me too

3.) Nokia PC Suite continually crashing - This has been the most frustrating issue I
have. The program will not autorun and when you try to select any of the menu buttons the screen goes white and I have to restart, this may be my PC but everything else works perfectly. The program is pretty much un-useable now.

Also - but I've had to remove and re-install the software hardware

4.) Phone turns off by itself. Even when its fully charged I can leave the phone and It will turn itself off for no reason.

That's happened to me twice in the one month that I've had it - also don't know why it happens........

As for the ringtone, I've found that turning the "Conversion" feature in the Nokia PC Suite during the transfer make a difference. I've previously transferred a tune, .wav format, to the 6600 but it refused to play it and played the default Nokiatune instead. I then turned of the Conversion for .wav file and now it plays the tune.

Pieter
12-05-2004, 05:42 AM
Hi

How can I check which version of the firmware I have?

pieter@internext.co.za

Kajjy
12-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Hi

How can I check which version of the firmware I have?

pieter@internext.co.za

Hi Pieter,

Press *#0000#

Check http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21458 from Numeric for the complete code set

Ha - I see you're from South Africa! How's it going - went to UCT for 5 years! Miss it a lot!!! :D

friend
12-05-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm still running the launch firmware. Will the upgrade erase the data on the phone?

If you flash your phone with a newer build version, it will not erase any data. You have to tell to the nokia service guy not to format your phone after flashing a new build. Then you will have averything as before, but with a newer build.
BR

Vamp
12-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi,
I have used a 6600 for over 3 months....

>>> Sometimes this happens.... but who bothers with this startup tune anyway? Like joolsvern, I hope it will totally go away and remain silent during boot-up.

>>> No such problem so far for normal BT connections. Only have this when I try to connect and reconnect different 6600/7650s in a short time (ie. one after another).

>>> This is probably due to ur PC's registry corrupted/conflicts. U will need to do a registry clean and then follow the installation instructions strictly and install PC suite in ur C drive.

>>> No sure problem so far. Probably is something wrong with ur phone.

;)

estepona
13-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Hello,

Same as VAMP. No issues so far & I have V 3.49.2

I think that for PC Suite you have a Pb with your computer.

:cool:

floepie
14-05-2004, 06:20 PM
The phone turning off issue always manifests itself after I charge it and only after the first time I turn it on. So, if the phone is off while charging, and I unplug the charger, turn the phone on, it simply shuts off. The second time it stays on. This always happens, but after that it never spontaneously shuts off.

den-orta
15-05-2004, 09:22 AM
is there a way I can get rid of the "My bluetooth places" in my desktop and also is there a way I can stop the bluetooth software when windows starts btw im using widcomm