View Full Version : Your Bluetooth ID Number...

praefectus
22-04-2004, 02:32 PM
I need everybody with a Symbian based phone to tell me their model and Bluetooth ID number (you can get it on your Series 60 Nokia by pressing *#2820#

I need this information, because I'm trying to create a server that will get your BT number, and then offer you an application (automatically) by Bluetooth ID (if there is a pattern to be had from each device) ...

For example, my phone is:

Nokia 7650
Bluetooth ID# 0002ee6b270d

If you guys can send me yours, too, I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks a lot in advance.

N/A
22-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Those are unique, like network card MAC (Media Access Control) addresses.

Manufacturers are allocate a block of addresses they use for their devices, and when (or before) they run out, they get another block. There's no other pattern.

For phones, there's also the IMEI code, which is the phone's serial number (International Mobile Equipment Identifier).

praefectus
23-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Those are unique, like network card MAC (Media Access Control) addresses.

Manufacturers are allocate a block of addresses they use for their devices, and when (or before) they run out, they get another block. There's no other pattern.

For phones, there's also the IMEI code, which is the phone's serial number (International Mobile Equipment Identifier).

Well, I consider "blocks" patterns (that was my point), so if I can guess the blocks I can guess the phone type and send the correct client software ....

This is why I'm asking ;-)

N/A
23-04-2004, 11:11 AM
There were about 8-10 million Symbian OS phones sold last year (if I remember correctly).

Most of them have Bluetooth.

There will probably be at least twice as many sold this year.

Manufacturers make their phones in batches where there probably won't be a single Bluetooth ID range for any single model, nor any single manufacturer even (as they will have multiple blocks and consume them in any which way they've decided to do).

In other words, you're not likely to detect any patterns with any accuracy from the few thousands of readers here (of which probably only a very small percentage will send you the info anyway).

In other words, I'm sorry, but I don't believe your approach is very realistic.

Anyway, it probably won't help much, but if you contact the Bluetooth SIG (Special Interest Group), perhaps they can tell you what blocks are allocated to which companies.

Instead, it might be more useful to you if you research OMA DM (Open Mobile Alliance, Device Management) UAProf (User Agent Profile) and Platform ID stuff (UIDs allocated for different Symbian OS releases, different versions of Series 60 and different models, etc.).

E.g., Forum Nokia has a document that lists the Series 60 version and Nokia Series 60 phone model specific UIDs.

praefectus
23-04-2004, 03:31 PM
There were about 8-10 million Symbian OS phones sold last year (if I remember correctly).

Manufacturers make their phones in batches where there probably won't be a single Bluetooth ID range for any single model, nor any single manufacturer even (as they will have multiple blocks and consume them in any which way they've decided to do).

In other words, you're not likely to detect any patterns with any accuracy from the few thousands of readers here (of which probably only a very small percentage will send you the info anyway).

Anyway, it probably won't help much, but if you contact the Bluetooth SIG (Special Interest Group), perhaps they can tell you what blocks are allocated to which companies.

Instead, it might be more useful to you if you research OMA DM (Open Mobile Alliance, Device Management) UAProf (User Agent Profile) and Platform ID stuff (UIDs allocated for different Symbian OS releases, different versions of Series 60 and different models, etc.).

E.g., Forum Nokia has a document that lists the Series 60 version and Nokia Series 60 phone model specific UIDs.

Thanks for the heads up. The other information is worthless, because a remote server scanning for phones using Bluetooth can only pull up the Bluetooth ID (if it's even discoverable) -- I will ask the SIG however if such data exists, thanks for the advice. I'll probably just have to have people with smart phone send a .txt file with "7650" and then parse it, collect the BT address, and send the proper client back ...

Anyway, thanks....