View Full Version : Nokia 9210 Impressions

Turok
18-11-2001, 10:58 AM
I am considering buying a Nokia 9210 and have read heaps of reviews about them but am wondering how people who have bought them think about them in light of other pda's on the market, etc....

Any regrets...will any of the sync problems be overcome in time via new firmware, etc....

Any thoughts or advice?

hazy1uk
18-11-2001, 04:59 PM
I've had mine for five months nearly. I know I've got the best bit of kit around at the moment, even with the minor problems the 9210 has at the moment it's the best I've used and I've used a few! The fact that it can only get better with time makes it quite an attractive buy, espescially as the prices will fall soon. Plenty of developers too so the software problems of certain other platforms shouldn't hit us.. If you can get used to people staring at you when you use it for talking you can't go wrong, just flip it open and pretend to send a fax!! I love it. It's like the nicest, most comfortable shirt you've ever bought, it just needs a few creases ironing out.

SwitchBlade
18-11-2001, 11:28 PM
I love it, it's great. DOOM makes a nice change to just listening to my walkman on the bus! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
Definately worth buying, can't wait for more software (or to be able to afford a bigger memory card).

Flipside
BUY NOW! BUY NOW!

SwitchBlade
18-11-2001, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah, just look at it as an overpowered, minituirsed, colour, psion. There were some very jealous looking Series 5 owners when i started playing DOOM on my phone at uni, when they had only got Tetris... lololol...

Flipside

samthepaokfan
19-11-2001, 08:55 AM
Just 3 words....

I LOVE IT !!!!

Yes, I agree some technical problems appear time to time, but there are being slowly but surely resolved. Plus with the launch of Nokia 9290 in the States, this means plenty of new staff for all users. I guess there Nokia will have bigger pressure to resolve those technical issues, if they want to succeed in the States too...

But as mentioned (in 3 words...)

I LOVE IT !!!

It's alive ! It's alive !

Regards.
[addsig]

Turok
19-11-2001, 09:06 AM
Wow - sounds like you all love this machine...is the 9290 much different to the 9210?

Is the sync really that slow...what sort of time does it take to sync with office?

samthepaokfan
19-11-2001, 09:13 AM
I do not think that the N9290 is really different than the 9220 (I might be wrong...).

As I know, the 9290 is just an adaptation of the N9220 for the States & their cellular network providers ( like for bandwith, etc...).

In regards of your other question, I will let someone else answer... Sorry.

Regards
[addsig]

langdona
19-11-2001, 09:34 AM
I just got one this weekend from Orange.
So far I think its brilliant. I just need to get email working and I'm all there.

Its the 1st time I've had WAP and I think its actually usable on the 9210. A lot better than what I've seen on friends phones.

I'm well impressed by the screen very clear, I had to lower the brightness as it was to strong.

I will try out the office apps today.

I like it but typically I now see there is another new phone in the offing. Anyway it does not look like it has a keyboard, so is not for me.

Andy

samthepaokfan
19-11-2001, 09:54 AM
As concerning my previous answer to this topic, I forgot to mention the following comment...

Nokia 9210 = I LOVE IT !!!

Nokia Company = The need improvements on Services & Support to us, the buying pigs...

Regards
[addsig]

Turok
19-11-2001, 10:05 AM
Let me know when you test out the office apps. I am keen to also find out if the word and sheet apps format across ok when syncing to word and excel....I gather that basic formating stays in tact....

Also with the zoom feature, is it similar to the psion mx5 and revo when you zoom out in word and sheet and make the fonts really small so that you can fit heaps on the screen?

SwitchBlade
19-11-2001, 01:16 PM
The Sheet application is not installed on mine as I tend never to work with spreadsheets. The Word application is installed but I haven't used it for more than reading text files I've downloaded from the net and writing text files without formatting. The word processor is functional, but I wouldn't expect lots of formatting and stuff in your docs, as trawling through the menus with the key pad would really get on my tits /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Although the inclusion of wordcount is useful if you are tapping away at an essay on the train to be formatted later or something. (mmmm IBM Thinkpad.....)

As for the zoom function, you have quite neatly hit the nail firmly on the head there.

Flipside

Zuber
19-11-2001, 01:16 PM
Like others here, I think the 9210 is great. And I've owned a number of PDAs including EPOC and Pocket PC before this. The syncronization is alot slower than it would be with a USB port as you would expect. But it should still be usable unless you have really large documents.

The quality of the conversion is quite good using the PC Suite, but the inbuilt convertors loose a lot of formating etc.

You would have to use the inbuilt convertors if you recieved the file as an email attachment whilst on the road for example.
If you want to just view the files rather than edit them, this is not a problem, because the supplied viewing software can be used instead.

I tried copying a 51K Excel file containing 4 sheets and it took around 20secs including converting and copying it. 15 seconds of that was converting.

I tried copying a 240K Word file and it took around 85secs including converting and copying it. Did not time it as well, but I would say around 40 seconds was converting it.

By copying and converting, I just mean copy and paste by the way.

The Zoom function works much like on the Psions, the main plus is the excellent screen. Text is readable even at quite small sizes.

Like I said, I've had a number of PDAs including an IPaq and I would pick the Nokia over any of them.

Hope that helps.

Zuber

01-12-2001, 12:08 PM
hi i wouldl ike to know how you can clean the body of the nokia 9210 can any one help my mine has got some grease on the back side near and on the flip where the memory card goes.please mail me back at <!-- BBcode auto-mailto start -->mailtokazafengg@hotmail.comkazafengg@hotmail.com</a><!-- BBCode auto-mailto end -->
thank you