View Full Version : The Sims Schedule Slips

Ewan
01-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Now we hear that The Sim's Bustin Out (http://www.allaboutngage.com/games/viewgame.php?id=18) (on N-Gage MMC) has been pushed back from its late April release slot into May. With only Marcel Desailly Pro Soccer (http://www.allaboutngage.com/games/viewgame.php?id=16) left out of the three pronged April Attack, the hoped for return of the N-Gage MMC Games into the marketplace has left a bad taste in the mouths of all those waiting. It's all very well Nokia announcing great new games, but the console has been here since October 2003 and we've only had a few releases in December beyond the launch titles. Not good enough.

Thanks as usual to Allack (http://www.allack.co.uk/) for the heads up.

Chris Johnson
02-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Ugh, it's the 32X all over again. The original N-Gage is going to have more cancelled titles than released ones.

drager
02-04-2004, 09:36 AM
This delays are really bad for Nokia, because there are limited number of items and nearly all of them in late days are delayed. People are waiting for these titles becase the old ones are not satisfactory now. If Nokia says "We will release 10 titles in April, and 100 titles until christmas" who will beleive them? Thats a huge mistake not doing what the promised on time. Are they waiting something? N-Gage2? If they believe, by this way, they can stop spending money on N-Gage, and they will release N-Gage2, and if they believe, who has N-Gage will run and buy N-Gage2 without any doubt; they are really wrong.

Ewan
02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
I agree the delays aare hurting - but what hurst more is when they say one thing, and change it later. If a supplier is told that game X will here on day Y, then that should not be said until it is 99.9% sure to happen.

If you promise something, you must deliver. We've waited 4 months since the last release, and everyone was all nicely excited abot Sega Rally, and we're just about stomaching the delay. Now to be pulled and not told when it will arrive, and to be left with *another* soccer game (no offence to Marcel Desally in genral, but FIFA is better, says Jim)...

I'm sure the official line will be, we just said 2004, or Q2 2004, we didn;t publicise a date on n-gage.com, but that's not good enough. I bet I could chart release dates for GBA games months in advance.

drager
02-04-2004, 11:12 AM
You are 100% right Ewan. This delays put the people who sells these items in a bad position too. A company like Nokia, should calculate the project durations much better. Because Nokia is a leading communication company, which has a great prestige all over the world. But because of the way theyare fallowing about N-Gage makes them seem like amateurs... They are not a new company which released a new technology and trying to make it accepted by world. They are worldly accepted caompany and they are not using a new big technology. They are using the recent technologies. They have the advertisement power. They have the market power. They have the technology power. They have the research power. And finally hey have the money. So they have to be more reliable and roboust about what they say and what they promised about their products. If they failed, they should say it. Because by not saying and acting like they are failed, they are hurting themselves, and all the users...

JimH
02-04-2004, 11:14 AM
There's two likely reasons for these delays, the most likely is the perennial software problem, an over optimistic release date.

However, what if the real reason for these delays is so they launch with the N-Gage2 and that they needed extra testing to make sure they work on OS 7.0s (which N-Gage2 might be running)?

There's nothing like a good conspiracy theory to brighten up the week :-)

Ewan
02-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Jim, I thought about this and I think it's not the case that 7.0s. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that the N-Gage games run on the 6600, which has 7.0s.

drager
02-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Yes Jim, as Ewan said, there are people run N-Gage games on 6600s...

And you said it can be because of their over optimistic release date. Don't you think Nokia should see that some problems may occur and, and then they have to make a realistic release date?

N-Gage2 can be really good, but as I said the way that theyare fallowing for N-Gage, will make people suspicious about buying N-Gage2 and believing Nokia's hot game release news...

N-D00D
02-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Maybe they (Nokia) are trying to implement better copy protection into their games? Or maybe devkits are suprisingly (for devs) bad and hard to develop with? Or maybe they have compatibility problems with the rumoured hotswap in upcoming N-Gage's ? But I would think Nokia had told to EA about new N-Gage early enough...lol.

Or in case of Sega Rally, maybe Sega just sucks, and now they don want to repeat the horrors that their lousy ports were last year? Some quality control perhaps? =)

Delays are VERY common in videogame business... its just because N-Gage has so few games...and when every game seems to be delayed...it hurts much more than lets say Xbox/PS2/GBA game delays.

But I agree Nokia should be much more open about the release dates... Announce a date...and if its delayed, announce a new date. Not just "Q3 in 2004".... Nokia wake up!! :)