View Full Version : 7610 no stereo output???

uwe_s
23-03-2004, 11:21 AM
hi, what about stereo output in the new nokia 7610???

1. look here:

http://www.nokia.com/phones/comparephones/

2. compare the 7610 e.g. with the 7700

3. go to section Enhancements

.... now you can see all headsets that can be connected :-( ??

->pop port not automatically means stereo!!

ok guys - what about stereo ???????

GhostDog
23-03-2004, 02:22 PM
You might be right.I just noticed that there is no Stereo headset in the list of enhancements of the 7610.I think the "pulled" another Nokia here.

badger
23-03-2004, 02:25 PM
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,54676,00.html

Read the section on Real Player.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,015_7610,00.html

Read the section on the left.

They speak of *.mp3 & *.AAC support.

Do you realy think Nokia would produce a product with *.MP3 & *.AAC support but no stereo output.

They cant have decided what enhancements they are going to release with this phone.

RoYaL21
23-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by badger
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,015_7610,00.html

Read the section on the left.

from Forum.Nokia
Heap Size:
8 MB
Shared Memory for Storage:
40 MB

Can someone explain this to me? I thought the phone memory was 8MB (Heap size?? Whats that?) And you get an 64MB RS-MMC with it. So what is the 40MB shared memory than? Is that memory to run programs?

badger
23-03-2004, 02:59 PM
I think this means 8mb of memory to run progs and 40mb of storage.

Please correct me if im wrong!

:rolleyes:

uwe_s
23-03-2004, 03:06 PM
this music support is just a standard feature in the integrated real-player!

by the way: real-player is free and it comes with several series 60 devices (sx1, sendo...)

RoYaL21
23-03-2004, 03:10 PM
i'm confused. Nokia.com says that the 7610 has 8MB storage. But forum.nokia.com says 40MB storage and 8MB heap size (whatever that is).

I looked at other s60 devices on forum.nokia.com:
3650,3660 and 7650 have 1.4MB heap size.
N-Gage has 2.8MB and 6600 has 3MB heap size.

Does this mean 8MB to run programs and 40MB phone memory?

uwe_s
23-03-2004, 03:39 PM
the phones at the cebit have:

8 MB internal shared memory for apps / pixx / mms... storage
and a rs-mmc card with 64 MB memory for apps ... storage
=> 72 MB storage

i think instead of 32 MB rs-mmc => 40 MB
now they use a 64 MB rs-mmc => 72 MB

what about the RAM (Random Access Memory for Operating Programms...) in the phones
isnīt it 8 MB ?

uwe_s
23-03-2004, 03:50 PM
by the way:

the image sensor type in the 7610 is CMOS not CCD :-(

a ccd as itīs used in good digital cams and the new sonyericsson s700 is much! sharper then a cmos sensor!
but a cmos sensor is better for battery power savings, because it needs less energy...

badger
23-03-2004, 03:52 PM
[B]uwe_s[B]

The real player in a 6600 doesn't support *.MP3 or *.AAC.

The application has been slimmed down for the particular device it is installed on.

The 7610 does have a MUSIC player where the 6600 doesn't. Nokia are very particular about there wording of there descriptions and they deffinatly dont slip up.

Music Player = a device which can support music playback.

6600 never had a music player in it specs, did it? But it still shipped with a real player.

[B]RoYaL21[B]

The 8mb is to run the programs.

RoYaL21
23-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Memory Functions
8 MB internal dynamic memory for contacts, text messages, multimedia messages, ringing tones, images, video clips, calendar notes, to-do list, and applications
64 MB Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (MMC)

This is what said on www.nokia.com , 8MB phone memory and not 8MB to run programs. Forum.nokia.com says 40MB phone memory. I want to know what they mean with heap size.

RealOne Player
Download and play multimedia files (video + music)
Stream media files through any supported media portals
Formats: 3GPP, RealMedia, MP3, AAC

This is also from www.nokia.com , it says that RealOne supports MP3 and AAC. So no seperate music player. That doesnt automaticly means that there is no stereo sound. We have to wait and see i guess.

GhostDog
23-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Heap Memory is the max ammount of RAM that can be alocated/used by applications(I don't know if this limit is only for Java MIDlets or C++ apps too).Search the forum,this has already been answered.

RoYaL21
23-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Ok GhostDog, i searched the forum. I guess heapsize is only for java MIDlets, because the N-Gage games use more than only 2.8MB to run. Since the 7610 has 8MB heapsize, i think that the whole RAM is about 32MB. Thats alot!!:eek: No more low memory problems :D

Next question: On forum.nokia.com it says that the shared memory for storage is 40MB.
On www.nokia.com it says:
Memory Functions
8 MB internal dynamic memory for contacts, text messages, multimedia messages, ringing tones, images, video clips, calendar notes, to-do list, and applications
64 MB Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (MMC)

Who's tellin' the thruth??

uwe_s
26-03-2004, 06:47 PM
hi folks,
a fiend of mine has asked the nokia service center, germany whatīs about the mp3 music feature (stereo?) in the nokia 7610...

here the answer from nokia
-------------------------------------------
Von: nokiahelpline.ger@nokia.com [mailto:nokiahelpline.ger@nokia.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 26. März 2004 10:32
An: xxx@xxx.de
Betreff: RE: Nokia Mobiltelefone und Zubehoer | Our Ref: 1-3MNPFT

Sehr geehrter Herr xxx,

vielen Dank für Ihre Kontaktaufnahme mit der Nokia Helpline

Das Nokia 7610 verfügt über eine Stereo Audio wiedergabe.
---the nokia 7610 has stereo audio playback---

Wenn Sie noch weitere Fragen oder Anregungen haben sollten, können Sie
sich jederzeit wieder an uns wenden.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Nokia Service Professional
Nokia Helpline

Ismail
26-03-2004, 07:51 PM
ok so it has

yeah

GhostDog
27-03-2004, 12:55 AM
I don't trust NSC employees,they are incompetent.

REALIS
28-03-2004, 04:23 PM
So we don't really know yet...
God damn it. Nokia'd better not have made this a mono phone as well!
This time they included up to 10 minutes of video recording. This is a very nice thing.

And the Lifeblog software seems very interesting. Similar to the Adobe product that comes bundled with the P900.

If this has stereo output I'll friggin wait till June/July and upgrade to it. If not... Nokia will be getting two thumbs down from me.

RoYaL21
28-03-2004, 05:46 PM
So we don't really know yet...
God damn it. Nokia'd better not have made this a mono phone as well!
This time they included up to 10 minutes of video recording. This is a very nice thing.

And the Lifeblog software seems very interesting. Similar to the Adobe product that comes bundled with the P900.

If this has stereo output I'll friggin wait till June/July and upgrade to it. If not... Nokia will be getting two thumbs down from me.

It has stereo sound, for sure. I read it somewhere. just wait till June and get yourself a 7610 ;)

Delta737
28-03-2004, 06:09 PM

Bit offtopic, but what adobe product comes bundled with the P900? I have a P900 but don't know which software you mean

AEFOX
11-04-2004, 03:12 PM
It's Stereo i think ...

the stereo came out from the Pop-Port..

So we need to wait for some Pop-Port stereo phones to ear it i think ;) ..

cya!

:cool:

GhostDog
11-04-2004, 05:28 PM
AEFOX,like ti was said in this thread,Pop-Port doesn't mean stereo output.If you check the enhancements section for the 7610 you won't find a Stereo headset,like for other devices that feature a Pop-Port and a stereo output but that doesn't prove the opposite either.

ntn
09-06-2004, 08:27 PM
It is with great sorrow that i must annonce ;-)
ITS MONO !!!!
yep, i just read it on a complete review (in french):
http://www.planete-nokia.com/tests/test7610.php

but frankly, who cares? sound is still good and if your are intent on listening to quality audio got get yourself an iPOD mini , now that's an MP3 player!

GhostDog
09-06-2004, 11:43 PM
It depends what are your standars for good.For me,good is the N-Gage,the p900,the SX1(In terms of audio playback).

Job
10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Hands on review from threegmobile.net

'Also, the Real Player for 7610 supports AAC / MP3 music files playback. Users can set the favorite playlist. However, no stereo output is supported. The package only include a mono ear phone too. Other ring tone formats include MP3, WAV, True tone and 48 chords polyphonic MIDI'

THIS IS SO,SO,SO,SO SHITE, I AM LOST FOR WORDS

STILL THE ONLY SERIES 60 PHONE WITH STEREO IS THE N-GAGE

NOT ONLY IS IT HIDEOUS LOOKING, BUT NO STEREO CLINCHES IT, I EVENTUALLY BOUGHT THE 6600 BUT HATED THE CRAP SOUND, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER I'M LOOKING AT NON NOKIA PHONES

CYA LOSERS!!!!!!

AEFOX
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi!,,

I donīt understand all that people looking for a PHONE with stereo output... just to play MP3 music there...

If you want a good quality portable MP3 player go and buy a Creative Portable MP3 player like this one: http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=4884 ... far more quality and cheaper...

The MP3 playing itīs just a PHONE additional feacture but not PRIMARY feacture... in my opition to judge a phone by this stupid thing about the stereo output itīs absurd... may be many kids out there looking for that feacture, but not serius people that use the device like a PHONE not a TOY...

Anyway if you get a phone with stereo output... i really would like
to see you playing very happy your favorities songs ... la la la and suddenly oh my god... a call.... and you answer and oh my god.. i am OUT OF BATTERY!!! loL!...

I really think that to use the phone like MP3 player to kill the battery everyday itīs not very helpful to your PHONE... how much time you think that will your phone keep stand by using that mp3 player thing plus all the other feactures? ... mostly the CALL and COMUNICATIONS feactures?..

anyway .. all people has many different opinion about this... but i am sure that arround 70 to 80% of them are agree with me... donīt you think? ... so thatīs why Nokia still been the biggest in the world :)

cya!

GhostDog
10-06-2004, 03:04 PM
STILL THE ONLY SERIES 60 PHONE WITH STEREO IS THE N-GAGE

Siemens SX1,Sendo X.

If you want a good quality portable MP3 player go and buy a Creative Portable MP3 player like this one: http://www.creative.com/products/pr...asp?prodid=4884 ... far more quality and cheaper...

I happen to like to have most of the features in one package and i don't want to carry more then one device.That is why people invented PDAs and SmartPhones.

The MP3 playing itīs just a PHONE additional feacture but not PRIMARY feacture... in my opition to judge a phone by this stupid thing about the stereo output itīs absurd... may be many kids out there looking for that feacture, but not serius people that use the device like a PHONE not a TOY...

Yes,of course.I just bought P900 and a SX1 at toys r us.I hear they are taking preorders for the 9500 too ;)

Anyway if you get a phone with stereo output... i really would like
to see you playing very happy your favorities songs ... la la la and suddenly oh my god... a call.... and you answer and oh my god.. i am OUT OF BATTERY!!! loL!...

LOL yourself.I listen to radio and mp3 when i travel and its a great feature.Never had problems with the battery(N-Gage and P900 for a while)

I really think that to use the phone like MP3 player to kill the battery everyday itīs not very helpful to your PHONE... how much time you think that will your phone keep stand by using that mp3 player thing plus all the other feactures? ... mostly the CALL and COMUNICATIONS feactures?..

If you need only Call and Communication features get your self a 3310.

anyway .. all people has many different opinion about this... but i am sure that arround 70 to 80% of them are agree with me... donīt you think? ... so thatīs why Nokia still been the biggest in the world

I'm sure the milions of N-Gage,p900,SX1 users agree with you :rolleyes:

AEFOX
10-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Give me the % of users of P900 and N-Gage ... 2%? ... 5%? ...

sorry but... i am talking about of MOST of the SmartPhones users not kids with N-Gage and the "always-and-only-if-you-has-both-hands-free-to-use" P900 or PDAīsusers like...

BTW!.. i am not agree about the battery thing .. the MP3 DECODING process use a LOT of CPU , means directly a lot of battery usage... like a video cam or video playing... so donīt tell me that mp3 playing for about an hour donīt kill the battery ...

cya!

willbrady
10-06-2004, 11:10 PM
LOL, you guys crack me up :)

You seem to assume stereo means quality -
Not nesseseraly, 16khz MP3's trought a quiet crappy speaker will sound poor weather it comes out of one or two spreakers..
44khz MP3 thou a single speaker is more important to the quality.

So mono is not a bad thing as long as Nokia has improved the khz of the playback and improved the speaker.

I don't care to much about stereo anyways, as on my 3650 I listen to my MP3's using the bluetooth headset - which is mono anyways ;)

I'm just wishing they have improved the khz

Will

Job
11-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Well I meant Nokia series 60, shoulda mentioned that.

Every time someone metions a crappy feature, you get reply..buy an mp3..get a proper camera..surf on a PC!!

FFS I'm paying to have all the featured on 1 device, that's the frekin idea of buying a smartphone!!!!

My 6230 has very high quality mp3 play, possibly the best I've heard on a phone, I thought the N-Gage was as good as my ears could distinguish, but the 6230 has such clarity the difference is really noticable.

Why couldn't they bang the mp3 chip from the 6230 in the 7610, it's like some conspiracy, like they always want to hold back some feature, must be a marketing ploy.

The problem with the 6230 is the camera is poor, photos are not as good as the 6600 and videos are evry crappy, though it does have 10 min record.

The other thing putting me off is the mini sd card, I have invested 200 quid in MMC cards, I'm fooked if I'm starting again.

Job
11-06-2004, 10:20 AM
And as for mp3 play hitting the battery, it really doesn't, surfing with the backlight on is the battery killer.

I've just been on a 2 hr bike ride listening to mp3's and it hasn't dropped 1 bar on the battery.

GhostDog
11-06-2004, 03:24 PM
job,i've learned in the past the arguing with AEFOX is futile.

willbrady
12-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Just got mine.
Superb phone!!

MP3's sound just fine and dandy - clear clean and loud.
Sound great on my bluetooh headset too.
My MP3's are 8khz & 16kbps really low quality and they sound great!
MUCH better than when on my 3650 and using the built in MP3 player.

Was going to re-encode some 'proper' 44khz 128kbps MP3's but as my low quality one sound so great I may not bother!

Not too much of an upgrade from 6600 but as an upgrade from 3650 it is superb!

Pictures look great with built in software as do videos!

Will

AEFOX
16-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi!..

Just wondering...

Would be great if somebody test any of these Nokia Stereo Handsets: (HS-3 or HDS-3)

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,58715,00.html

On the 7610 ... to finally check if the output it's really mono or stereo, and even if it's mono, i am sure that the quality of sound puting phones on both ears make a good difference...

BTW!... Finally the 6630 has Stereo output S60 from nokia :D, 1.3 mpx camera :D, WCDMA+EDGE :D ... Quad-Band :D ... Video recording time up to 1 hour per clip :D ... nice RSMMC lateral slot :D and came with the Nokia Stereo Headset HDS-3 in the box :D ...

cya!

N/A
16-06-2004, 01:36 PM
BTW!... Finally the 6630 has Stereo output S60 from nokiaIt is the second such Series 60 phone after the N-Gage (or third, if you count the 6260 that was announced on the same day) to have stereo output.

Anyway, no Pop-Port stereo headsets will work on the 7610.

Delta737
16-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Another correction. It is not quad-band (at least not as we know it). Quad-band in this case means 900/1800/1900/WCDMA (and not 850).

willbrady
16-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Just tried a pop port stereo headset - 7610 cam up with 'enhancment not supported' and played just out the left side as well as out of the phone itself.

Thou with a popport adapter a a pair of mono headphones you would probably get mono sound out of both sides...

Best

Will

AEFOX
16-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Another correction. It is not quad-band (at least not as we know it). Quad-band in this case means 900/1800/1900/WCDMA (and not 850).

Sorry but you need more info ... you here can clearly read all the feactures...

and yes it's Quad-Band... yes it's WCDMA ...and EDGE...

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,58711,00.html

it's just new you know... ;) ...

cya!

N/A
17-06-2004, 08:03 AM
The GSM quad-band for most people means support for the four GSM/EGRPS (EGPRS = GPRS + EDGE) frequencies: 850, 900, 1800 & 1900MHz.

The 6630 does not have full North American coverage as it lacks 850MHz for GSM/EGPRS.

On the other hand, it can be considered quad-band, because it supports the other 3 GSM/EGPRS frequencies + WCDMA (a.k.a. UMTS).

dragon-tmd
18-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Just got mine.
Superb phone!!

MP3's sound just fine and dandy - clear clean and loud.
Sound great on my bluetooh headset too.
My MP3's are 8khz & 16kbps really low quality and they sound great!
MUCH better than when on my 3650 and using the built in MP3 player.

Was going to re-encode some 'proper' 44khz 128kbps MP3's but as my low quality one sound so great I may not bother!

Not too much of an upgrade from 6600 but as an upgrade from 3650 it is superb!

Pictures look great with built in software as do videos!

Will

Sorry Will, but the MP3 Sound compared to the N6230 is awfull! I just made a popport mono adapter for both earpieces and the sound is bad! It is too low! You have ro re-encode all the MP3 for the 7610 (louder and less quality settings)!

The 7610 is NOT made for MP3 listening, thats all. SO if you are a MP3 freak, forget about this phone. Small MP3 ringtones sound good (if not encoded with 44Hz and more than 64kbit, after that the build in MP3 player stutters much).

willbrady
18-06-2004, 07:25 AM
You may be right, I was compairing it to my 3650 using the same MP3's.
I've not heard the MP3's on the 6230.
But I DO listen to MP3's every morning on the way to work and I find the quality just fine and a step up from what I was getting on the 3650.
Also the Jabro BT250 is good at removing the distortions you sometimes get on low quality recordings.

I have scince discovered that 44khz 128kb recordings actually sound very quiet?
My MP3's are 12khz at 32kb and sound MUCH louder - anything 16khz and over and it seems to go quiet, strange.

Still the 7610 in my opinion is the best series60 phone to date, it is much classier in your hand than it looks in the pictures by the way :)

Will

machtoners
19-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Not including stereo mp3 in the 7610 is a big letdown :icon13: especially if you consider this generation of series 60 phones (the ones after 7650 & 3650). I dunno how nokia decided to ignore this as the only other option in the series 60 market by nokia is the N-gage.

It isn't a big deal to upgrade to the 7610 from 6600 then :frown:

typy
19-06-2004, 06:10 PM
What's the point of including a built in player for Mp3 and AAC files, and then only including mono output? How big of a difference in price would the stereo output have made? I'd still buy the bloody phone if the price was a bit higher. Eesh, Nokia screws up again

GhostDog
19-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Nokia are just playing it smart.They will put stereo in some other device and leave out some other feature like a MP camera so both devices can sell.

AEFOX
19-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi..

I am upgrading from 6600 to 7610 for this reassons...

- Less weight, more thin shape, and i like the black style ...
- 32 meg of mem more than 6600 (64 meg now included)
- 1 mpx camera (i don't care about the quality, i like it and it's better than 6600)
- To record more time of video with audio without any aditional 3rf party app...
- And finally it just feel better when you holding on your hands ...

That's all... i don't care any other additional feacture...

And i already sold my 6600 for 500 US$ ... and the new 7610 i am getting by 550 US$ .. so... 50$ for all that upgrades... yep.. i pay that ...

Cya!

ntn
19-06-2004, 09:59 PM
You may be right, I was compairing it to my 3650 using the same MP3's.
I've not heard the MP3's on the 6230.
But I DO listen to MP3's every morning on the way to work and I find the quality just fine and a step up from what I was getting on the 3650.
Also the Jabro BT250 is good at removing the distortions you sometimes get on low quality recordings.

I have scince discovered that 44khz 128kb recordings actually sound very quiet?
My MP3's are 12khz at 32kb and sound MUCH louder - anything 16khz and over and it seems to go quiet, strange.

Still the 7610 in my opinion is the best series60 phone to date, it is much classier in your hand than it looks in the pictures by the way :)

Will

are there any attachable hand's free kits that have 2 earbuds ? stero or mono i dont care , just want 2 earbuds for watching movies in noisy environement when the speaker is not loud enough..
whats with the poport to earphone adatper that comes with n gage? does that work on 7610?

thks

machtoners
21-06-2004, 04:48 PM
ntn,

The N-gage doesn't have a port-pop interface- which IMHO is a very dicey connector. It has a much sturdier propreitory pin type connectors. The stereo handset which comes bundled with it id HDd-2(I think I got that number right :tongue: ). Anyway, the N-gage headphones are much better for Hi-fi sound than the 7610 handsfree i guess.

EAX
06-07-2004, 12:25 AM
So your saying that you can use HDd-2's on the 7610?
I really want to buy a 7610 but a single earbud sounds pretty shit to me.

machtoners
06-07-2004, 05:21 AM
The N-gage doesn't have port-pop. so n-gage handsfree can't be used on the 7610 :)

itwiz
03-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Hello everyone,

I just bought a Nokia 7610 yesterday. To my dismay, I find that there are no devices that can hook up to this phone to produce stereo output.

However, if you find your way to the link below... it does say that pop port can handle stereo.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,4879,4629,00.html

regards
itwiz

N/A
03-08-2004, 09:24 AM
There is no magic to make 7610 support stereo, I'm afraid; "can handle" does not equal to "all implementations have to handle" (and 7610's doesn't).

Lukeswarm
03-08-2004, 09:32 PM
There is no magic to make 7610 support stereo, I'm afraid; "can handle" does not equal to "all implementations have to handle" (and 7610's doesn't).

But... If i put the phone in my car (bluetooth car kit) and play a song it deffinatly comes out in stereo so....? :?

itwiz
04-08-2004, 01:23 AM
But... If i put the phone in my car (bluetooth car kit) and play a song it deffinatly comes out in stereo so....? :?

Hello Again,

What sort of bluetooth car kit did you use to get stereo, I mean brand and model number?

Also how did you get your car kit (which I thought comes with its own single speaker) to play in stereo.

Advance thanks for your reply.

regards
itwiz

N/A
04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
But... If i put the phone in my car (bluetooth car kit) and play a song it deffinatly comes out in stereo so....? :?Definitely stereo or just the same, single channel mono sound from more than one speaker (if your car kit has more than one speaker, that is)?

Lukeswarm
07-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Definitely stereo or just the same, single channel mono sound from more than one speaker (if your car kit has more than one speaker, that is)?

Its the nokia advance CK7 i think but i have the mutebox that you have to buy seperatly in order to get it to come through the stereo...

And in answer to the other question its stereo... Led Zeplin - whole lotta love says so... plus i checked it with the balance etc... :D