View Full Version : Installing apps can be a nightmare HELP!!!

yousif
11-11-2001, 08:58 PM
I always dread the thought of installing large applications on my 92Commu. The device often jams and I have to restart it and resume the installation process a million times for any chance of success. Is this just me or is anyone else having the same trouble installing? I hope there's a way round this cause if not then I'm ever closer to the point of depression!! Help me before I stick back to my 3310 for good!!!

Nokia_Veteran
12-11-2001, 01:32 AM
It would probably help to know WHAT applications you are trying to install. I have only ever had trouble with one program and that was Doom9210, but every other app has installed 1st time using the DataSuite software provided. Let me know what app and we might be able to help.

The 9210 is truly the best phone on the market IMHO, so be patient and describe in FULL the problem.

SwitchBlade
12-11-2001, 11:54 AM
I've had that problem recently but only when copying large files to my communicator (well more than 500ks worth), half the files would get there, it would crash then I had to start again with the remaining.
I put it down to windoze as the 9210 works fine when I open it although half the programs under win98se are dead. This then means dropping to DOS and restarting doze to communicate again. I guess it must be time to format and re-install windoze.

Flipside

N9210
12-11-2001, 01:23 PM
These problems could be because you don't have enough room on your C drive on the 9210. When installing an app (even to the D drive), the .SIS file is copied to your C Drive.

[addsig]

yousif
12-11-2001, 09:48 PM
Memory is surely not the problem as I have more than enough to spare. I have faced this problem most recently when installing such things as the all Memory Card Data and cobuild English dictionary... Seriously, it's pissing me off!!

SwitchBlade
13-11-2001, 12:34 AM
But surely free space on the 9210's C wouldn't affect my similar problem of copying straight from my Thinkpad to my 9210 D would it?

Flipside

N9210
13-11-2001, 12:50 AM
To Yosif

How much memory do you have available on your C drive?

Yosif & Flipside What firmware version are you noth running, and have you both installed the latest PC Suite?
[addsig]

yousif
13-11-2001, 09:54 AM
Device free mem is 2MB+ with fware 3.62

yousif
13-11-2001, 09:56 AM
Oh, and latest suite installed... Cheers, Pat.

SwitchBlade
13-11-2001, 11:37 AM
2527 kb free on C and firmware 3.57
I shall head off now to nokia's site to get the PC Suite there, but I can't see from their site if that version is newer than on my CD, hence not tried that before.
BTW where do I download firmware revisions from and how do I install them?

Flipside

N9210
13-11-2001, 12:33 PM
The version on the site will be later than the version on the CD.

You can't download and install firmware revisions - these can only be done by Nokia Service Centers.

SwitchBlade
13-11-2001, 03:34 PM
I've installed the latest PC suite and still suffer the same problem. I'm guessing that it's probably more down to my Win 98se installation being nearly 4 months old. I'll try a re-install tomorrow and see what happens.

Flipside

Zuber
13-11-2001, 05:18 PM
You might have better luck copying the .sis install file directly onto the Nokia C or D drive and then executing it directly on the machine itself.

Zuber

13-11-2001, 07:08 PM
I've had no problems installing direct from the comm. memory. If i try to install through my p.c. (doze.m.e.) no problem. On the one or two occasions i've tried elsewhere (doze98? poss.) i got a similar problem to yours with a very long procedure to find my device again after a shutdown. P.C suite is on both deskfillers but the older one (w.89) seems to fail quite often with my 9210. I have to admit i used to use a psion mx5 with the other p.c. with no problems, it's just the 9210.
I usually put problems down to my inability, but maybe, just maybe, there is a reason for it.

Rafe
14-11-2001, 11:28 AM
This may shed some light on installation techniques for Symbian. I may be completely wrong about this though...

What happens is when you click ona SIS file it will start the install pogram (takes some memory), decompress the files to a temporary folder on the C drive (although you never see this) while retaining th original file. (Thus you will need at leat double the size of the SIS file you propose to install (+ any memory required to run OS and active application). Once it decompressed it will copy to target location.

If you do have problems i can only suggest making as much memory available as possible. Upgrading to a higher firmware and cntacting the author about problems. Try above solution 1st though.

SwitchBlade
22-11-2001, 01:06 AM
I've reinstalled windoze and the software, but the problem persists. So I am guessing the Nokia was causing my already unstable doze installation to fall over.
Is the only way to get this to work to keep rebooting both PC and Nokia when they fall over and continue copying files where I left off (this is always with text files about 20k apiece, although large copies I have to hope it keeps running), or is it something on the communicator being unhappy and possibly needing re-installing as I never used to have this trouble. If it *HAS* to have a firmware update, how do I go about this? I am loathed to be without it for the amount of time it will take for the update though.

Flipside

N9210
22-11-2001, 10:10 PM
Upgrades in the UK shouldn't be so bad. Communicaide will pick it up and should drop it off within 48 - 72 Hours.

Call Club Nokia (if your a member) and they will give you details
[addsig]

yousif
28-11-2001, 01:01 PM
I have just realised that owning a 92 Comm is not such a bad thing a fter all. I now copy any application that I want to instal onto my MMC and install from the device... Big apps small apps, no problem! Thanks for all the help..