View Full Version : Advanced speech Recognition Software on new Sendo X

willbrady
07-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Birmingham, UK and Woburn, Mass. – Sendo, a supplier of wireless handsets and smartphones in Europe, and Voice Signal Technologies, the leading provider of mobile speech recognition solutions for wireless devices, announced today the first phone in Europe to include Voice Signal’s advanced speech recognition application. The Series 60 based Sendo X is the first mobile phone developed under a partnership agreement between the two companies. The Sendo X features Voice Signal’s Voice-Activated Phonebook, which allows users to dial any person in their contact list simply by saying the person's name, with no initial training required. With the additional capability to launch other device applications by voice, users can open any Series 60 application resident on the phone simply by saying the name of the application. For example, a user can check appointments simply by saying, “Open Calendar”. These speech recognition features promote easier hands-free, eyes-free use of the phone

http://www.sendo.co.uk/news/newsitem.asp?ID=76

tomnufc
07-01-2004, 10:32 PM
I already knew the X had this feature, but I thought it could only be used to ring people in your phonebook. Opening programs is too cool :cool:

Shadow12
08-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Siemens SX1 and Nokia 6600, where are you now?
Sendo X is just to good!

sparxxx
08-01-2004, 03:41 PM
What? Are u serios with Siemens SX1 and Nokia 6600?Dude those functions are also on 6600 and SX1 so NOTHING new just Marketing.I have a Nokia 6600 and i can open ANYTHING (contacts., any app from phon or newly isntalled) with my voice.I just press 1 button say the magic word and voila..My brother has SX1 and it also has voice recognition but to bad SX1 is FUCKING buggy.Most buggiest smartphone i seen.I had a SendoX for 3 days and i must say i am dissapointed.U will se for yourself why.

Shadow12
08-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Sorry wasnt aware that the voice recognition on both other smartphones extended to the apps aswell. It is strange i have had such mixed reviews about the top 3 competing phones. I guess i will just have to see for myself as you said.

willbrady
08-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Haha

I have a 6600 in the office and I was not aware of that!
Serves me right - I should practise what I preach and Read The Fu#king Manual!!

Haha

Do you have to 'train' it a keyword or will it auto recognise?
I'll be playing with that tommorrow when I get into work :)

Will

Mr Zippy
08-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by sparxxx
What? Are u serios with Siemens SX1 and Nokia 6600?Dude those functions are also on 6600 and SX1 so NOTHING new just Marketing.I have a Nokia 6600 and i can open ANYTHING (contacts., any app from phon or newly isntalled) with my voice.I just press 1 button say the magic word and voila..My brother has SX1 and it also has voice recognition but to bad SX1 is FUCKING buggy.Most buggiest smartphone i seen.I had a SendoX for 3 days and i must say i am dissapointed.U will se for yourself why.

The 6600 uses voice tags as far as I know, NOT voice recognition like the Sendo X has.

You do not need to train or add voice tags on Sendo X to use voice control.

Neil

Shadow12
09-01-2004, 07:26 AM
See what i mean one minute someone is telling me one thing the next someone is telling me something else. I am getting dizzy. :eek: :confused: :eek:

Marsupial
09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm with Mr. Zippy on the voice recognition thing. The thing that Shadow12 and sparxx mentioned as "voice recognition" on SX1 and N6600 is not really voice recognition but voice tags. You record a phrase and associate it with a command (phone book entry or program start or whatever). Then when you press and hold "1" button, the phone will listen for a sound and compare the sound wave to the voice tags stored in it. If it finds a close enough match it performs the associated action. It actually has nothing to do with speach but comparing sound wave patterns. It doesn't have to be spoken phrase but can be any sound wave whatsoever. You can actually record your sneeze as a voice tag and associate it with your doctors phone number entry so your phone will dial your doctor when you sneeze into it, provided that your sneeze sound is fairly consistent that is. Hey, you could also have it dial your mother-in-law when you fart in its general direction if you want. The speech recognition in SendoX is supposed to be the actual speech recognition. Certain key words or phrases are preprogrammed into the phone and it is supposed to recognize them and perform associated actions regardless of who speaks them without the need to record your voice or train the phone to recognize it first. It is suppposed to even go further than that - lets say you have phone book entry for an indivudal named Bob and you have his home and mobile numbers there. With SendoX you should be able to just say "Dial Bob mobile" and should dial Bob's cell phone. If you happened to train your talking parrot to say that phrase as well, you theoretically should be able to have your parrot say "Dial Bob mobile" into your Sendo, and it should produce the same result (now you just put your SendoX on speakerphone mode and listen to your friend Bob try to have a conversation with your talking parrot - pure fun). This is without recording any voice tags or programming anything but the phone book entry into your phone. Now, the big thing with speech recognition, is how effective it really is at recognizing different speech patterns of different people. An accent is a big thing. An American born and raised in Alabama will say the word "Dial" very differently than a middle aged person living in New York who just moved from China two years ago. Being an immigrant with an accent myself, I really wonder if Sendo will really be able to recognize my funny way of speaking American version of English. I'm very eager to find out though.
I just want to add that the only thing that worries me a bit about SendoX is that all these extra features like the Now screen and voice regognition will have to be Ram resident. Note that SX1, N-Gage, N6600, and SendoX all have 16MB of RAM (do not confuse Ram in these phones with the storage space or C: disk - they are different and separate and all these phones have different amounts of storage space but the same amount fo Ram). All of these phone except of Sendo have approximately 10MB of free Ram after they boot with approximately 6MB being used by the operating system. However, it has been mentioned (on Sendo's site even if I recall correctly) that SendoX will only have about 6MB of Ram available after boot - presumably since all the extra functions (speech recognition, SendoNow screen application, SD card driver, USB driver, etc..) will eat up additional 4MB of Ram leaving considerably less for running your own applications including the Ram hungry Opera. Being a current owner of N3650 with all its low Ram issues (cannot run Opera most of the time for example) I wonder if SendoX will have enough free Ram to run some more memory intesive applications or run multiple applications at the same time. Hmm....?

tomnufc
09-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Yep, the first thing that pops to my mind is Ngage ;)

Delta737
11-01-2004, 07:03 AM
The feature is nice, but it's a shame that it won't be available in Dutch...:(