View Full Version : Battery or Piracy?

Ewan
06-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Are Nokia pushing N-Gage users towards Software Piracy (http://www.allaboutngage.com/viewarticle.php?id=50)? There's a simple solution to the low battery life on the N-Gage,and the continual griping of having to change the MMC Game Card, but it's not something that makes easy reading for the industry.

ShowShifter
09-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Interesting article but I think it may be wrong to assume that it's removing the battery that is draining significant amounts of power.

I reckon what's happening is that, unlike in other phones, the software that drives the power meter in the N-Gage is using an algorithm that observes your power consumption _pattern_ and then tries to predict your future power consumption on that basis.

Hence what you see on the power meter is not a reflection of the current charge level of the battery but how long the software thinks the battery will last.

When you reboot the device it loses it's previous data on your power consumption usage and the meter resets to something more accurately reflecting current charge level until it builds up more data on your power consumption pattern.

This explains the behaviour I often see when my meter drops from full to 3 or 4 bars after a reboot but then if I let the phone sit untouched for a while the meter will climb back up to 5 bars!

It's darn annoying I wish I could switch this feature off I really just want to know my exact charge level.

Don't get me wrong though I really would like to put all my games onto the one MMC card!

Ewan
09-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Yep that could be the case if I was tlaking about jsut the meter, but practical daya to day stuff shows SOMETHING is up. If you leave an ngage running, and compare it to an ngage you swithc on and off throughout the day, the one being swtched on and off will run out of charge (comparativly) long before the one left running.