View Full Version : GPRS Always On

TANKERx
29-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Hi,

What are the advantages and disadvatnages of using the 'When Available' facility for GPRS? How much data is transfered while it is idle?

Thanks if anyone can answer.

Global moderator
29-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Hi,

What are the advantages and disadvatnages of using the 'When Available' facility for GPRS? How much data is transfered while it is idle?

Thanks if anyone can answer.
advantages:u are able to see if the gprs network is available if in the area that u are located.
disadvatnages:battery consumption(because if there is no gprs coverage and u have chosen 'When Available' the phone periodically try to establish packet data connection.
is nice to see if gprs network exist though..

ebo
30-08-2002, 12:21 AM
advantages:u are able to see if the gprs network is available if in the area that u are located.

I don't see that as a relevant advantage, but if you keep GPRS on always when available, the phone will always tell when you have new e-mail. If I recall correctly, the phone checks your e-mail after every five minutes and displays a letter icon when you have new messages.

Tero

Chucky Egg
30-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Is that right about periodic checks to your mailbox?
I've tried various ways to "monitor" my mailbox, but none have worked so far...

I tried staying connected and putting it in the background, but even that didn't work. My mail account has SMS noification on it, so I know the test email was received, but I had to disconnect, reconnect and then download the mail.

TN
30-08-2002, 08:10 AM
I was wondering the same thing how much data that goes in and out if u dont use GPRS you just have it ON. I did check that out last night and between 00.00 - 08.00 (8 hours) my phone recived 14k and it sent 4k.
I was also conencted to ICQ during those hours as well and i recived 3msges from 4 diff ppl from ICQ.
(i thought it would be more)

/TN

Chucky Egg
30-08-2002, 09:25 AM
Mine is set to "When Available" and since I switched the phone on this morning (07:40 - it's 10:20 now) I have sent 3Kb in a single session, although I haven't used GPRS at all today so far.

I've had GPRS coverage the whole time, so I don't know how much data is used to detect and restore a lost connection - presumably another 3Kb?

TANKERx
30-08-2002, 09:28 AM
WEhat concerns me is that the Operator(s) may decide that they can make a quick buck by sending me a couple of bytes of nothing every now and again.

Now, I don't klnow much about networks, but I note that I can enable IP Compression when I dial up over GSM but not with GPRS. Why is this?

Chucky Egg
30-08-2002, 10:09 AM
GPRS compression was supposed to be under trial by Orange and [somebody else - I forget] but when I spoke to the Orange Trials Team they said they knew nothing about it!

Compression would be cool - if you could get 64kbps it makes GPRS modem access to corporate systems (ours at least) viable.

I want it! (compression that is)

Global moderator
30-08-2002, 03:10 PM
its nice to know if gprs network exist..(at list for me)

. If I recall correctly, the phone checks your e-mail after every five minutes and displays a letter icon when you have new messages.
Tero
not working for me..