View Full Version : P800 review. part1.

EldarMurtazin
28-08-2002, 06:43 AM
I publish first part of review P800; tomorrow I'll publish second and then third part. Plus, may be compare between Nokia 7650 and P800.

It's very nice device in using.

review here, enjoy
http://www.pcwatch.ru/mobile/review/sonyericsson-p800-e.shtml

HyPeR
28-08-2002, 07:58 AM
that was a good detailed part1 of ur review.... waiting for the rest.
does it have predictive text? can u type an sms using the keypad or do u need to input the text like in the palm?
i yet prefer the keyboard or at least the kaypad......dont like the handwriting recognition thing...its toooo slow.
dont u reckon?

is it actually bigger than the 7650, in size?
The 7650 is not very comfortable in the brest pocket, but u can put it in nevertheless.

waiting for the camera review as well.

thanks

HyPeR

PS.--where can i lay my hands on one? i dont mind buying it...even if its a beta version.

Zuber
28-08-2002, 10:46 AM
I didn't realise the keypad actually just pressed the touch screen, cool. I read it elsewhere, but it just didn't click.

Only concern, is damaging the screen while device is in the pocket etc.

I agree about wanting to use the keyboard. I would be very disappointed if it does not have predictive text.

In theory, as it just uses the touch screen, a 3rd party could probably add predictive text support.

EldarMurtazin
28-08-2002, 02:00 PM
P800 haven't predictive input for keyboard, I could explain it as not very comfortable keys for long texts input.

I'll publish compare 7650 and P800 on next week, all qyestions would be discribed in this article.

Zipper
28-08-2002, 02:56 PM
I never tried text input actually with our p800, I was busy playing with the more advanced features, I just had a go and it is a little awkward as the buttons just arn't like normal buttons, there like ... errmm ... Buttons on a computer keyboard except less downwards travel, feels strange. Its a shame as the p800 has a lot of extremly nice features, yet some of the small things that seem simple and are common are left out, its one of the 'little things' that makes the p800 not right for me. One day, one manufacturer will get it right... hopefully.

EldarMurtazin
28-08-2002, 03:37 PM
you completely right. The buttons made in such style for only one reason, not damage screen in any way.

billk2
28-08-2002, 03:50 PM
That's an interesting set of application on the CD. Are these full versions or just demos?

I suppose Avantgo would be the full version it's subscription based. Then again, if it's Tom Tom's Maps online, that's subscription too.

Saw my 1st p800 in real life today. It's back display in Oxford St. in London. I didn't get to play with it though :(

Global moderator
28-08-2002, 03:58 PM
Nice review
its not the super mobile after all..

john74
28-08-2002, 11:55 PM
interesting,i love it and ive got the dosh saved up already!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Zuber
29-08-2002, 12:21 PM
Part 2 is now up.

http://www.pcwatch.ru/mobile/review/sonyericsson-p800-part2-e.shtml

Zuber

TANKERx
29-08-2002, 02:11 PM
These reviews are great.

The P800 does sound like an excellent phone and much better than anything Micro$haft have in store!

EldarMurtazin
01-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Just published final part of SonyEricsson P800 review. Enjoy.
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-p800-part3-e.shtml

P.S. Previous parts available only from new address. Please be attentive.

02-09-2002, 06:25 AM
how bout the comparison between p800 and nokia 7650 ???

TANKERx
02-09-2002, 07:45 AM
I don't know if such a comparison would be fair. The 7650, although of a similar class, is aimed at a different market.

It may make more sens to compare the P800 with the Sendo Z100, though I reckon the P800 would pee over that one as well.

possan
02-09-2002, 08:58 AM
i cant wait ...

EldarMurtazin
02-09-2002, 09:59 AM
I don't know if such a comparison would be fair. The 7650, although of a similar class, is aimed at a different market.

It may make more sens to compare the P800 with the Sendo Z100, though I reckon the P800 would pee over that one as well.

It's fair because both of this device based on one platform.

03-09-2002, 05:40 AM
umm.. i mean the size and the detailed comparison also the ease of use between p800 and 7650. i think yes 7650 and p800 aimed at different market but yes they both have the same platform

also p800 use symbian ver 7 and nokia 7650 use symbian ver 6 and yes the p800 use the new version of symbian but look at siemens and samsung and i don't know there 1 more i think who signed up for the symbian ver 6 from nokia.

btw do you have plan on comparing nokia 7650 and p800 EldarMurtazin ??

thx

EldarMurtazin
03-09-2002, 06:10 AM
umm.. i mean the size and the detailed comparison also the ease of use between p800 and 7650. i think yes 7650 and p800 aimed at different market but yes they both have the same platform

also p800 use symbian ver 7 and nokia 7650 use symbian ver 6 and yes the p800 use the new version of symbian but look at siemens and samsung and i don't know there 1 more i think who signed up for the symbian ver 6 from nokia.

btw do you have plan on comparing nokia 7650 and p800 EldarMurtazin ??

thx

Yes, I've such plans.
In P800 used new version its right but Nokia placed 7650 in the same segment as P800 positionong.

beegeeay
14-09-2002, 12:28 AM
Sorry for the length of this post, but there is a lot of discussion here on the P800, and a lot of comment in return.

ER6 Forum talk 7650 now versus 3650 next year - this reminds me of why real Nokia users (business / heavy consumers) adopted the 6210 /6310 instead of the 'pretty' 8210/8310 phones. Long term reliability and backup. I am a long-term Nokia/Orange pro-sumer user and should stick to what I know and trust, but the P800 'almost' looks like what I have always waited for.

The P800 seems to be a real step forward for mobile phones (forgetting the 'camera gimmick 640x480), as the wap/internet browsing capabilities make it a possible PDA killer, as stated on the Register.co.uk. If not for its pda PIM-like capabilities, the choice would be a straight one of sticking to the 6310i. Not to mention the upgrade price of 80 (compared to the past price of 130 for 6210) has to be seen as a bargain.

Having had a quick look at the P800 forum postings - it seems that the wait for the launch of P800, and the time lag on top, it will take Orange to release their version, will convince me, and possibility many others, that the wait isn't worth it for the supposed benefit of extra features of Symbian. Also take into account that the Sony Ericsson joint venture is beginning to fracture, in terms of the need to reduce costs and maximise revenues by Ericsson - they may leave the partnership if volumes do not increases significantly; which is not helpful for Sony to promote a new style/technology Symbian phone to early adopters.

Eldar Murtazin's P800 review was great. I assumed as much about the picture quality to be gained from the built-in Communicam; but also agree that there are situations when a 'snapshot' device is invaluable. The only reason for having a built-in camera phone, is to avoid the need to carry around two separate devices; your phone and a megabit digi- camera for every day pics of low quality.

It does seem to be the bridge between a pda and ordinary PIM phone, so as the flagship of the smartphone class device, it is the business, but does not do anything well enough, or unique enough to be considered a replacement for either palm/pocket pc or 9210i devices. I hope it really does well and sell like hot cakes. We users need Sony Ericcsson to survive & prosper, so the next generation smartphone (excluding Stinger) from Symbian manufacturers are the pda-killer devices we all are waiting for.

29-11-2002, 04:16 PM
I never tried text input actually with our p800, I was busy playing with the more advanced features, I just had a go and it is a little awkward as the buttons just arn't like normal buttons, there like ... errmm ... Buttons on a computer keyboard except less downwards travel, feels strange. Its a shame as the p800 has a lot of extremly nice features, yet some of the small things that seem simple and are common are left out, its one of the 'little things' that makes the p800 not right for me. One day, one manufacturer will get it right... hopefully.