View Full Version : Text input is critical

25-08-2002, 08:52 PM
I was about to order a P800 but realised it meant going back to pecking away at letters with a stylus. This is why got rid of my palm 515 and bought a Nokia Commnicator for the keyboard. It's bewildering that there are so few pdas/phones with integrated keyboards anymore (apart from Psion). Integrated keyboards are not just easy to use, they are more convenient that carrying around a 'thumb board' or similar gadget.
:-?

Zuber
25-08-2002, 09:18 PM
I agree, now if Nokia had just come out with a 9210 including USB, Bluetooth, GPRS and a sensible amount of memory, and a quicker processor, then we would not be having all these dilemmas.

Not much to ask is it :D

Zuber

SwitchBlade
25-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Yeah but Zuber if they did that then how would they improve it for the 9310?

Zuber
26-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Easy, they could have just added 3G.

To be fair to Nokia, I suspect a lot what I ask for was probably not practical in the time available.

However, after seeing the way they are making 9290 owners suffer without Opera, I am begining to think they may have a policy of leaving out features to encourage a future upgrade.

Zuber

SwitchBlade
26-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Development of these products and the speed of development has shot up since the release of the 9210 (how long had it been since the 9110(i)) and now Nokia and their rivals are churning the things out. I think this helps contribute to the lack of apps, as once you've started developing for something a replacement or something better is out. People are replacing their old phones less and less and the best encouragement is to produce a product then 6 months later give it a "vital" improvement to encourage people to upgrade.

We seem to be increasingly leaving the idea that a device like this should be produced and be useable for a few years without wanting an upgrade.

Mac
26-10-2002, 07:46 AM
So, will it be a GPRS- or 3G- 9210 in the future or .. ?

Zuber
26-10-2002, 10:06 AM
As Nokia have already announced a 3G phone, hopefully the Flagship 9310 (or whatever it will be called) will have 3G.

I do have one concern however, I would want GPRS supported as well as 3G. One of my contracts is will "Cellular Operations", neither they or Singlepoint offer GPRS support on Vodafone contracts. So who knows when they will support 3G.

Zuber