View Full Version : gprs not working in 6600

shahid104
03-11-2003, 01:46 PM
hi got 6600 yesterday and found that the gprs is not working fine. i can only open the homepage and no other site....
what could b the prob??? please help
i am from INDIA, Bangalore

ltzguy
03-11-2003, 02:04 PM
GPRS is working on the 6600 in very few places, since few providers have not yet upgraded their networks to support it, supposedly.

(Personally, I can't figure out what any network would have to do to create compatibility with a new GPRS phone, if they're already compatible with old GPRS phones. My suspicion is blocks put on the networks to keep devices out, that have not been removed.)

Could you post your provider info in the thread on GPRS compatibility and settings?

MDR
03-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ltzguy
GPRS is working on the 6600 in very few places, since few providers have not yet upgraded their networks to support it, supposedly.

(Personally, I can't figure out what any network would have to do to create compatibility with a new GPRS phone, if they're already compatible with old GPRS phones. My suspicion is blocks put on the networks to keep devices out, that have not been removed.)

its the conversion of WAP sites to HTML sites and its the allowing of GPRS access to a new access point that has proxy server and proxy port number [HTML based and not WAP based]

ltzguy
03-11-2003, 02:45 PM
A proxy server is required for connectivity on the 6600? Really?

Can I just use a public proxy server, the way I used to be able to use a public WAP gateway?

That also does not, by the way, explain why the e-mail client does not work.

MDR
03-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ltzguy
A proxy server is required for connectivity on the 6600? Really?

Can I just use a public proxy server, the way I used to be able to use a public WAP gateway?

That also does not, by the way, explain why the e-mail client does not work.

public proxy server...??? maybe.
here in the philippines, i can retrieve my email using Globe's paid APN [and the modified advance settings specified by the netwrok operator just fo rthe 6600] but i can't send email.

but on my P800, sending and recieving is not a problem.

ltzguy
03-11-2003, 03:35 PM
I can sent email (smtp) but not receive (imap or pop).

Its very odd, because neither of those requires WAP, just TCP/IP, and I can't figure out why one would work but not the other.

sanjoy316
03-11-2003, 04:45 PM
hey shaid u must be using an hutch connection thats why their gprs service is screwed up u go to a hutch world they will sort it out

shahid104
03-11-2003, 07:18 PM
hi sanjay
yes i am using hutch connection. could u please tell me which outlet of hutch world?? cos i went to 1 today but they couldnt help me.....
did u face the same prob??

could any one pls tell me how do i confgure my mail box for hotmail???
give full detail

sanjoy316
03-11-2003, 07:48 PM
ya idid with my 7210 go to the hutch world in kormangala there is ad ude called arvind he willl help you out..

slough
12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
With regard to the T-Mobile GPRS issue, I was able to use a public proxy server and it seems to work perfectly. You can go to http://www.publicproxyservers.com to find a proxy server in your country.

ltzguy
12-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by slough
With regard to the T-Mobile GPRS issue, I was able to use a public proxy server and it seems to work perfectly. You can go to http://www.publicproxyservers.com to find a proxy server in your country.

Does it work with MMS as well?

slough
12-11-2003, 11:07 PM
It works great with the Opera browser and the Nokia browser app for Internet content and pop3 email. I have not tried MMS because, strangely, I don't know anyone who could receive an MMS message.

deathmonger
13-11-2003, 12:41 AM
I just swapped from a 7650 to a 6600 and both work fine. GPRS settings are a bit different but that's it.

This thread may help. (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17604)