View Full Version : Weird GPRS issues

ltzguy
31-10-2003, 05:09 AM
OK, so I got one of these things. I'm having the damndest time getting GPRS related services to work. TMobile and Nokia won't help me, since its not a phone available in the U.S. Maybe some of you have had (and solved) similar problems. I've been able to connect to nokia's website and wap.yahoo.com, so I know the GPRS itself is working, at least a little. So here's the oddness:

1. Trying to connect to the tzones wap site - times out, i get a "services - unable to complete request" error. This isn't a tragedy, since tmobile is awful, but maybe its symptomatic of the other problems.

2. Trying to get e-mail from myrealbox.com via imap or pop, without security - times out.

3. Trying to get e-mail from myrealbox.com via imap or pop, with security enabled - I get a dialog that a certificate is "untrusted." The certificate information confirms the phone is connecting to the site. But, if I hit continue, nothing happens - it just never progresses.

4. Trying to get to hotmail - I get a "script error" when I try to log in via mobile.msn.com/pocketpc, apparently when hotmail is doing one of the 20 redirects required during login. Maybe there is a different URL I could use?

Any help would be appreciated.

MDR
31-10-2003, 07:29 AM
6600 does not have MMS over WAP anymore. It has MMS over HTTP which means that the operator must provide different settings for 6600.

your provider will provide you with specific settings on:

new APN address
proxy server address
proxy sever port
wap APN & home page can't be read, you need .asp extension and not .wmlc

Miro
31-10-2003, 08:13 AM
I have problems with GPRS also:
When I try to reach some wap pages I receive :unable to perform operation( this happenned with specific site using GPRS and DATA)
When I try to send an e-mail over GPRS, the message is moved to the outbox with status 'queued' and nothig happens. If I try to send it over DATA-there is no problem.
Any ideas?

ltzguy
31-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Miro - those are exactly the problems I get.

MDR - thanks for the info, I think. Not really what I was talking about, but whatever.

Miro - Is Nokia supporting the phone there? Maybe you can call for support and let us know what they tell you.

Do you know any site to check that java is working, by the way? Or how to check if the Opera browser (that people seem to think is such a big deal) is there?

MDR
31-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ltzguy
Or how to check if the Opera browser (that people seem to think is such a big deal) is there? its installed on the MMC. check manager [the icon that looks like a rubix cube] and see if OPERA browser is listed. otherwise, it's not installed

ltzguy
31-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Nothing at all comes up when I go to Manager. Why would this be?

Does it mean my dealer ripped me off? Could my phone not be a full release version?

What other software am I missing? I've noticed that I don't see anything in the menus that refers to either Java or the fancy VPN client the phone is supposed to have.

Miro
31-10-2003, 04:00 PM
I got my n6600 with Opera installed-you can see it on the menu or with manager.
There is still no support for this model here. But I warned Nokia branch here about this, so I will see what they will reply.
I will talk also with our technicians about the settings proposed by MDR.
I gess that all the problems are caused by the differences between TCP/IP and WAP protocols...may be
If I have new info I will let you know.

Falcon
01-11-2003, 07:02 AM
I am having the same problems with Orange in the UK.

Can't connect to Orange at all!!!

Falcon

MDR
01-11-2003, 07:27 AM
here's what my provider did [globe-manila]

they had to change the Access point's address
thay added proxy sevrer DNS
they added proxy server port number
and they change the start up page to an extension of .asp

now mms & gprs works fine with me. but still erractic on some wabpages. my guess: the phone is still not fully supported by my network

ltzguy
01-11-2003, 05:46 PM
When I've asked Nokia and Tmobile for assistance, they've all said that the phone may not be fully supported by the network yet since it isn't available in the states.

This seems like a load of horse crud to me. In the first place, I don't think the network has to DO anything to support a new GPRS phone other than provide settings.

Am I wrong? Could these problems I'm having be configuration issues on tmobile's end, that aren't going to be solved for months?

(I do imagine they'll be solved as soon as tmobile europe starts selling the phone. Otherwise, what's the point to a european provider selling a tri-band phone if it won't work on their american network?)

tacticalgrace
01-11-2003, 07:42 PM
I got my 6600 yesterday and been trying to enable WAP and MMS functionality on T-Mobile's US network since. TCP/IP connections work very well and I can use the included Opera browser on the web. I posted a more detailed explanation of my problems and what I did here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?th=c13debc8e00e0b87

MDR's explanation makes sense, access point configurations in 6600 do not seem to have WAP gateway address as a possible setting. It remains to be seen how long it will take T-Mobile and the others to start using HTTP. I'll post o this thread as I learn more.

ltzguy
01-11-2003, 07:56 PM
That sort of makes some sense, that the problem is that the 6600 won't let you enter a WAP gateway.

But then why can I get to wap.yahoo.com through the built in browser? I seem to be able to get to _some_ WAP sites, even without a WAP gateway.

Have you been able to get the built in mail client to work? I can connect to my mail server (myrealbox.com) through Opera. When I turn security on in the mail client, it gets the certificate from the server. But the mail client can never seem to connect, it always gives me a "cannot login to IMAP server" message. (Yes, I'm positive the username and password are correct.)

Please update us if you find a way to get more working.

tacticalgrace
12-11-2003, 10:39 PM
I was finally able to get both IMAP and IMAPS working. Actually IMAP just worked the first time I tried it so I can't take credit for that one. To get IMAPS working, your mail server has to support starting IMAP over SSL on port 993, as opposed to supporting STARTTLS IMAP extension only. For people who have access to an IMAP server, my settings in Courier-IMAP's imapd-ssl configuration file are:

IMAPDSSLSTART=YES
IMAPDSTARTTLS=YES

Courier-IMAP by default disables the first and enables the second. My personal certificate signed by myself did not cause a problem though the mail client did ask if I wanted to continue. There is no support for multiple mailboxes, only the Inbox is visible. :(

The IMAP server is running on Mac OS X, btw. Let me know if you want information on how to do a similar setup.

SMTP and POP are working as far as I can tell, though POP is very slow on mailboxes with a large number of messages. I did not have to do anything special to make POP or SMTP work, but I am using T-Mobile's email proxying service. You can set it up on the web at this URL:

https://myemail.t-mobile.com/html

Setting up a valid mailbox here will at least give you the ability to send e-mail using SMTP on the phone even if you don't actually use it to receive e-mail.