View Full Version : Yeah, first thread - 7700, what do you think of it?

RoYaL21
30-10-2003, 01:30 PM
What do you guys think of the 7700. I love the features, looks could have been better.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,47550,00.html

-EDIT- BTW, thanks for this forum :cool:

q7buzz
30-10-2003, 01:47 PM
183g ????
Could be a lethal weapon.

J2theIZZO
30-10-2003, 02:14 PM
I personally love it, just a shame it's not available for such a long time, if it were soon I would have put off getting a P900, and gone for that.

I expect we will see many more Symbian phones announced before this actually hits the shops...some better spec'd I should imagine.

RoYaL21
30-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Yes i think the same. You can see it with the SX1, its been so long since they announced it. Now there are alot of other new Symbian phones to compete with it. I expect the 7700 to be released in may/june, who knows how many other Symbian phones are released till that time.

Still love the features of that 7700. Man that phone rocks!

orange
30-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by J2theIZZO

I expect we will see many more Symbian phones announced before this actually hits the shops...some better spec'd I should imagine.

Maybe announced yes, but not released for sales. There's a difference.

langdona
30-10-2003, 06:38 PM
I personally don't like the look of it but I'm sure it will appeal to other people. Thats what I like about Symbian there seems to be a great range of distintive products coming out.

J2theIZZO
30-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by orange
Maybe announced yes, but not released for sales. There's a difference.

Of course there's a difference, but if the new communicator was announced between now and the release date of the 7700 I know which one i'd wait for (Assuming it's going to be as good as all the hype would lead you to beleive).

I also imagine we will see new symbian devices not yet released, being announced and on the market before this, check out the P900.

captainehippo
30-10-2003, 08:13 PM
I like it
he have the tv :)

and we can write on the screen
http://membres.lycos.fr/stphane06/Projet7.gif

evobit
30-10-2003, 08:47 PM
I really do not understand why it's shaped the way it is? Great features.. but.. hmm the shape?

langdona
31-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by J2theIZZO
I also imagine we will see new symbian devices not yet released, being announced and on the market before this, check out the P900.

And also the Sendo X announced this month, available next. I much prefer it this way around . Its better than anticipating a device then waiting for it for months.

simply258
31-10-2003, 10:21 AM
The P800/P900 doesn't appeal to many because its use is mostly with the pen, so 2 hands .. the 7700 is purely pen-based, so I don't know how many it will appeal to ..

J2theIZZO
31-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by simply258
The P800/P900 doesn't appeal to many because its use is mostly with the pen, so 2 hands .. the 7700 is purely pen-based, so I don't know how many it will appeal to ..

I guess it will appeal to the same sort of people that currently use UIQ or are thinking about using UIQ.

There is also a joypad and some strange little buttons (on top and front), so it won't be entirely pen based I should imagine.

EvIlDeViL
01-11-2003, 01:31 PM
looks more like a clock!!!:D

evobit
02-11-2003, 06:31 AM
Not too sure on the market for this phone... it's not a communicator, and it's a lot more than a cell phone..

Actually the more I think about it the more I believe it to be the test-bed for the new communicator.

Smart business sense - Nokia release s90, people write software for it, they have a chance to debug it etc, and then by the time they release the communicator and it already has a wealth of software available and is practically bug free.

stripped b.fly
02-11-2003, 08:45 AM
yeah more like an clock.. an alarm clock that u should tap to stop hehe

but what a nice alarm clock it is anyways lol:D

The Party Boy
02-11-2003, 05:00 PM
i think 6600 is still better:cool:

MemphisX
02-11-2003, 09:12 PM
I believe that if Nokia will Produce the new communicator as the most complete device (I prefer not to call it phone/Smartphone) then it may uses two UI.
A series 60 UI when the lid is closed and a series 90 when it will be opened and you'll have access to the qwerty keyboard.

But this is just a thought.

tiger03
03-11-2003, 07:04 PM
i think nokia could have still come up with a better idea!!

i mean look at it:o it looks like the same people who made N-Gage made it. all need is a pen to write a txt message?? :mad:

NEED A KEY PAD damnit! they're missing the most important point of a mobile phone!! not a keyoard like the 92xx ??

but i still think its got a lot functions though :D

by the way is the camera on that any better than the one on 7650 or is the camera on the 7700 the best to come?

J2theIZZO
03-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by tiger03
i think nokia could have still come up with a better idea!!

i mean look at it:o it looks like the same people who made N-Gage made it. all need is a pen to write a txt message?? :mad:

NEED A KEY PAD damnit! they're missing the most important point of a mobile phone!! not a keyoard like the 92xx ??

but i still think its got a lot functions though :D

by the way is the camera on that any better than the one on 7650 or is the camera on the 7700 the best to come?

Camera is 640x480 so same as 7650/3650/3660....not sure if there is any difference in the lens.

Qball
10-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Still waiting for that 1st 1MPixel camera. Don't nokia and SE know that they way to shift a lot more phones is slap a higher res camera in it? look at all the interest there was in the P900's 1Mpixel camera which never materialised.

lectrosoul
11-11-2003, 07:09 PM
i suppose its all down to cost, of course they could release a 1 2 or even 3 MP cam phone now but the cost to the consumer would be too great for now but in the next few months it'll most likely come down and then we'll start to see it happening..

by the end of 2005 all the cam phones will have 1+ MP so times ahead are interesting indeed

7700 I think its Sweet!! gonna get me one soon

come visit
Link Removed

ebo
11-11-2003, 09:52 PM
I got a chance to try the 7700 in the press update before the NMIC conference, and I think it's a very interesting concept and has many promising features, such as the large 640 x 320 pixels screen, an HTML/XHTML/WAP browser from Opera Software, an FM radio with visual radio content (like song titles and other extra information), EDGE connections that are faster than current GPRS connections and so on.

I think there are some open issues, though. First of all, the device is quite large in physical size and weighs 183 grammes. We still don't know whether Nokia will license the Series 90 platform which can be become an important issue considering how many applications and services there will be available for this platform. We don't know either where (if anywhere) and when these DVB-H streams with IP datacast will kick start and how much it will cost. The demo at the NMIC area was running a 80 kilobits per second stream (72 kbps for video and the rest for sounds) so it wasn't that impressive quality yet.

I also got a chance to get a hands on test with the 7700 back here in Finland and I'm still not sure whether I like its look and feel or not. The large display is very nice considering web browsing and opening MS Excel/Powerpoint/Word documents, but the device doesn't fit in my pockets. This is definitely not anybody's only mobile device, and it is indeed coming with a desktop stand (like the one you can see in some of those press images) which I believe tells that it's meant to be kept on your table quite often.

I'm currently using Nokia 6600 and SE P900 and they are both devices that I can think of using as the one and only mobile device, and the 7700 is definitely not competing with them, but instead targeted for a very different segment. We have to wait and see whether this market segment exists or not.

Tero

edit: typos

sco2001
15-11-2003, 10:41 PM
ha ha, i got a 1mp camera phone. Try looking at some of the J-phones. They had cameras about 2 years ago. Makes you wonder why 1 of the manufacturer doesn't bring it out over here. Only thing wrong with Japan s that there are no symbian phones bar the 3650 (which was released after the U.K launch) Java games over there are a lot better there though and so are the movies, the cameas, the screens,

GhostDog
16-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Yes there are: Fujutsu's F2102V for NTT DoCoMo is a 3G Symbian Phone.

orange
16-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Qball
Look at all the interest there was in the P900's 1Mpixel camera which never materialised.

Yes, there was interest in the tech. geek forums like this. That's about 0.1% of the population of the whole world. Most of the people don't know or don't care what's the camera in their phone.

ebo
16-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Most of the people don't know or don't care what's the camera in their phone.
This might change in near future, though. Until now cameras in phones have been nice toys for MMS messaging and so on, but recently we've heard of deals enabling printing through Bluetooth to HP printers or Kodak Photo desks.

I believe even ordinary consumers will soon find out that these 0,3 megapixel cameras in current European markets don't offer good enough resolution for even the smallest 10 x 15 cm prints. You can print them, but the picture quality is far from ideal. Of course the resolution is not the only thing that has to develop before we can seriously consider leaving a real digital camera at home when going on holiday trips etc.

Nokia executives have estimated that they will announce a >1 megapixel camera phone during the next year (2004), and this timing can be just about the ideal considering consumer needs and digital imaging services that are available.

Tero

edit: typos

orange
17-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by ebo
This might change in near future, though...
Yes, I agree, but as far as I know, we are not in the near future yet. ;)

Qball
17-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Yes, there was interest in the tech. geek forums like this. That's about 0.1% of the population of the whole world. Most of the people don't know or don't care what's the camera in their phone.

I think your average consumer knows enough about digital camera resolution to want a higher resolution on their phone if the price is right. However I think manufacturers will have to start supplying cameraphones with USB cables and make them as easy to upload the pics as a conventional digital camera if they hope to make their use for more than just MMS.

sco2001
18-11-2003, 06:53 PM
I don't think having a better camera would really benefit the average user who just wants to send mms because it would be a bigger file size, which means more costs and the difference really isn't that visible on a screen. However, on a computer screen its near perfect, and is fine for desktop backgrounds (my 3650's o.k as well, but the pictures get a tiny bit blurry when enlarged that much)However I agree that a usb cable or a card reader (You won't fit many pictures on my phone's internal memory (I think its about 12mb, but i'm not completly sure)Last point is that I think there should be an option to choose you resolution lik on cameras.(You could have 1.3 mp or 640x480 for example)

ebo
18-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by sco2001
I don't think having a better camera would really benefit the average user who just wants to send mms because it would be a bigger file size, which means more costs and the difference really isn't that visible on a screen.
Are you sure that's all Joe Average wants or is interested in? For example Nokia 6600 already comes (at least here in Finland) with a Print application and supports printers with Bluetooth connections. Then there's also the Kodak photo desk application. These both would greatly benefit of larger resolutions.

Tero

Qball
19-11-2003, 01:37 AM
I think there should be an option to choose you resolution lik on cameras.

You can already do this my 7650 has several settings.

sco2001
28-11-2003, 09:49 PM
no, theres either portrait or normal. Be honest, have you ever actually used portrait? Night is the same resolution as normal. And apps like photographer can't change resolution, they can only zoom in.

RoYaL21
04-12-2003, 08:08 PM
i have used portrait alot of times for the caller id.

great_blondino
05-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by RoYaL21
i have used portrait alot of times for the caller id.

ME TOO :)

the fury
21-12-2003, 06:51 PM
All 3 (h3guk) phones have options for picture resolution and size AND come with data cables and software. These technologies will surely filter down through the market soon.
Most of the pictures I take on my phone are stored on my pc, I've sent less than 20 picture messages!! USB cables are a nice extra for the retailers though, some easy cash so I maybe we'll have to wait a while yet...?

xunvala
22-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by EvIlDeViL
looks more like a clock!!!:D

u know... i wasnt exactly sure what it looked like....but i think uv nailed it!!:D

sco2001
23-12-2003, 07:14 PM
i just use the normal picture and it automatically resizes it on my 3650.Or i use full screen caller.