View Full Version : Orange (UK) launch MMS services - 40p per message

Rafe
15-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Orange UK have announced the roll out of MMS services for the UK Orange network. Basic charges are 40p to send a message (free to recieve) and 25p to recieve special messages from Orange.

Those who do have an MMS handet will be sent a text inviting them to visit the Orange website to pick up the image.

Full Press Release:
ORANGE ANNOUNCES ADVANCED NEW MESSAGING SERVICES

Orange Photo Messaging and Picture Content services launch today

UK customers to benefit from per-message billing - 1st UK network able to charge this way for these advanced services Photo Messages charged at 40p per message sent with no charge to receive. Picture Content messages cost 25p per message received

Orange calls for handset and network operators to work together to achieve interoperability.

Nokia named as preferred network supplier in the UK

London. August 12, 2002. Orange today announced the launch of its advanced new range of
messaging services (MMS) with a further five Orange operations across Europe intending to launch similar services in the coming months.

More than 12.8 million Orange customers in the UK will have the opportunity to access these advanced services that move messaging on from standard text, to messages that combine colour, photos, text and sound offering a greatly enriched messaging experience via a new range of Orange MMS handsets. They will also be able to receive update messages on news, sport and entertainment with the pictures to accompany the story.

Innovative handsets such as the Sony Ericsson T68i - available with clip-on camera - will be used at launch. The Nokia 7650 is due to launch at the end of August with a broad range of handsets available in the run up to Christmas. Orange believes that wirefreeTM devices with this capability will be used by 40% of its customers by the end of 2005. This is further endorsed by Ovum's prediction that MMS handset penetration will reach up to 50% at this time with MMS messages accounting for up to 30% of all person-to-person messaging in the same year.

David Taylor, Commercial Director of Orange UK, said: "These new messaging services open up an exciting new world for the Orange community. Our customers will be among the first in Europe to use these new Photo and Picture Content services, enabling them to communicate on a much more personal level from capturing the moment their child takes their first steps to taking a photo of their new sports car."

"The mobile industry is at the beginning of a new era. The network operators, handset manufacturers and the whole industry must work together to grow this market for the future. That means we at Orange will be calling for network interoperability as soon as possible. Both network and handset interoperability will be the key drivers for industry growth. The services we are launching today are just the first in a range of Orange vision-based services as we move towards video messaging, video downloads and video streaming which will also be launching in the near future."

Richard Brennan, Executive Vice-President, OrangeWorld said: "Over the last few years we have been talking about the mobile phone being used for services that are more advanced than voice communication. Now, with the launch of these advanced messaging services, we are giving our customers the ability to share experiences and create their own content. Orange offers access to a truly rich mobile experience."

"The UK is just the first country in the Orange group to launch these advanced new messaging services. It will be followed by other key European markets. Soon, customers in France, Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland and The Netherlands will also be able to experience similarly exciting picture-led services."

Orange was the first network in the UK to offer per second billing, and, continuing this innovative approach, has implemented a billing structure to ensure clarity of pricing for its customers using these new messaging services. In the UK, Orange pay monthly customers will benefit from a simple, easy-to-understand pricing structure, where they will be charged 40p per photo message sent. Orange pay as you go customers will be able to access the services later in the year

The initial Orange UK advanced messaging services available will be:

Person-to-person Photo Messaging - allowing customers to send combined colour photos, text and sound clips to other MMS handsets and email addresses. Customers with non-MMS handsets will receive a text message inviting them to view their photo message on the orange.co.uk website.

Picture content now allows customers to receive entertainment and information updates with images on their MMS handset. Orange customers dial 277 and select a topic (eg. sport, news, entertainment and gossip). Once notification has been given, they will then receive Picture Content messages about their chosen subject each message received costs 25p.

Nokia and Ericsson have been named as the preferred network suppliers across the Orange group for these advanced messaging services. Nokia will supply the infrastructure for Orange in the UK with other member companies announcing their preferred supplier upon launch.

15-08-2002, 04:05 PM
does this include pay as u go

Ewan
15-08-2002, 04:25 PM
This is further endorsed by Ovum's prediction that MMS handset penetration will reach up to 50% at this time with MMS messages accounting for up to 30% of all person-to-person messaging in the same year.

So 15% in actual fact? Does it makes sense to anyone here that 40p per message will replace 10p per message? Will people really send this many grainy pictures or sound clips of them farting after 18 bottles of Diamond White?

Oh and...

In the UK, Orange pay monthly customers will benefit from a simple, easy-to-understand pricing structure, where they will be charged 40p per photo message sent. Orange pay as you go customers will be able to access the services later in the year

Read the post before you ask questions already answered. ;-)

15-08-2002, 05:51 PM
tell u what your attiude to some of your answers are very sarcastic it makes people not want to ask anything

Rafe
15-08-2002, 07:08 PM
tell u what your attiude to some of your answers are very sarcastic it makes people not want to ask anything

Personally I thought that was one of Ewan's helpful answers... It isn't every sacrastic either - I'd describe it as an acid wit at times perhaps... Moreover he did answer your question and is one of the respected forum regulars (not just a non registered guest). He took the time to answer your question. A little bit of gratitude would be nice.

To be honest even if he was being sarcastic he has a point, the information was in the above post. If you're going to reply to something it would be nice if you had the courtesy to read whatever you're replying too.

Rafe
who runs this site, and doesn't like any criticism of anyone posting here. We're a friendly community. I want it to stay that way.

Ewan
15-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Let's see,

First I commented that the PR release was quoting some really dodgy numbers.

Then I let you know that what you were asking had already been answered.

I then put in a smiley with a wink in case my tone hadn't come over. After all, there are more than enough technical queries on the Forum to answer without people failing to read something correctly.

Ah well, I'm sure it was Nietsche who said that only the weak hide behind their invited... ;)

Zuber
15-08-2002, 08:14 PM
"with MMS messages accounting for up to 30% of all person-to-person messaging in the same year."

I make it 30% Read it properly :D

Zuber

Ewan
15-08-2002, 08:34 PM
No chance, this below is pure marketing blurb.

This is further endorsed by Ovum's prediction that MMS handset penetration will reach up to 50% at this time with MMS messages accounting for up to 30% of all person-to-person messaging in the same year.

50% of 30% is 15% of all messaging will be by MMS. The 30% is people WITH MMS capability choosing it over SMS.

I think Marketing and Advertising Executives should kill themselves. </Bill Hicks>

Zuber
15-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Well I still think it says 30% of total.

But in real terms, I can't see it reachig anything like that. I want to send someone a quick message, I go for the cheaper option. Vast majority of messages will be just that, a quick message, comment, joke etc.

The other thing to consider however, is that the cost of the MMS messages themselves will come down. I think this is very likely (if the operators have any sense).

If you look at Vodafone's latest GPRS prices for example, they have dropped bigtime (still too much though, but better).
Basic tariff was 2p per Kb.
Now it's 0.75p per Kb for any user, and 0.25p per Kb for those with 25 per month or higher line rental.

0.75 X 30Kb MMS gives 22.5p upload, 22.5p download.
0.25 X 30Kb MMS gives 7.5p upload, 7.5p download.

This assumes that the MMS uses the full 30Kb.

Hence, if they don't sort out a down to earth price, everyone will use alternative GPRS processes.

All that is needed, is a Instant Messagig App. that is written to keep checking data transfer to a minimum. Just a few bytes each way to determine if there is info. to download.

Zuber

Rafe
15-08-2002, 09:54 PM
I actually though 40 p wasn't too bad since as I understand it longer text messages are possible (+ images), but at that price its going to be special messages not the quick ones it gets used for. That said I think it needs to be 20 p or below to be competitive with SMS