View Full Version : Finally, how to put custom apps on your a920.

Spooksie_uk
05-10-2003, 03:46 PM
ADMIN EDIT: Link removed while Admin discusses policy on bypassing Security certificates - Ewan-FreEPOC

Finally its here, you can install any application onto the a920.

Spooksie_uk
05-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Is installing custom applications on your a920 illegal? as ive checked the terms and conditions of my 3 contract and it doesnt say anything about that.

I have been releasing 3 games packs for free, 3 arn't too happy about it but its 100% legal.

I wouldnt post anything on here that is illegal! because i dont want to be sued.

If you can put the link back on it would be great for the whole a920 community to get what they are looking for.

If you object please pm me.

P.S Didnt James Preedy do the same when he attempted to bypass copyrighted games for the a920 and he is a moderator.

Rafe
05-10-2003, 11:00 PM
It is a gray area. Thats why we having an admin discussion about it. To be on the sfae side legally we're not going to allow it for the time being. I'll try and contact 3 / Moto.

Spooksie_uk
06-10-2003, 06:15 AM
please contact me to let me know it outcome, if it is illegal ill remove my posts.

Montie
06-10-2003, 08:33 AM
As far as I am concerned there is nothing illegal about applying 3rd party applications to your own phone. After all its your own property and as previously stated there is nothing in the terms and conditions to suggest that there is a problem.
My property, I can bloody blow it to pieces if I want.
I am disappointed that the moderators have taken this line, as I thought this was a free open forum.
Tut tut.
:confused:

Ewan
06-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Montie,

Thanks for your comments. AAS fas a policy of respectign the wishes of others, and handset/network operators are one of those groups. 3 have their own reasons for walled garden content and applications, and until we hear from 3 or Motorola that they are happy (or otherwise) for this bypassing procedure. As mentioned, this topic is under discussion with the admin team, and we should have a definite answer shorty. for the meantime (as always) we are erring on the side of caution.

mrploddy
06-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Err its all over the internet now. There are a number of forums discussing this. all of the major symbian sites. I won't give direct links to respect your wishes
though
www.aussie3g.com
Major 3g australia users site
www.3gnewsroom.com
Major 3g uk site
www.whatmobile.net
leading mobile magazine in the uk
Plus the link which was originally posted which i shall not mention.

All of these are major sites and are openly disucssing this.

As for 3 they are well aware about this workaround, i went in to a 3 shop to ask what the 3 line about this is and the manager phoned the motorola handset co-ordinator for 3 about this. The official line is, they know about, they are taking steps to remove this vulnerability in the futre. Though the major point is, if you install apps which muck the phone up, don't go crying to them as they will make you pay to get your phone fixed.

Regards

mrploddy

mrploddy
06-10-2003, 12:30 PM
What i mean by in the future, is new handsets that is, ie new version of transfer software where the backup database is encrypted so we can't mess with it.

Ewan
06-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks for that MrPloddy - the confirmation that 3 do not want people running uncertified software is somethign we are working to get , but your experience will help. If we recieve official word that is similar then we will have a no linking/discussing how to policy.

Irresepctive of the line other websites have taken, AAS policy is determined by Rafe Blandford, in discussion with the Admin team. If the final decision is not identical to that of other sites, then I'm sure people will respect AAS' position.

gazza
07-10-2003, 07:37 AM
It's not a grey matter. I would say that it's legal. However it could affect the warranty of the phone if you were to put 3rd party applications or if you browse 3rd party web sites.

Spooksie_uk
07-10-2003, 08:37 AM
I respect your decision, i dont want to be getting you guys in trouble.

On another note you wont void your wrarrenty if you put any custom apps on your phone. If you experience problems you just do a master reset and it will return your phone back to factory settings.

I know because i backed up my files and reset my handset, no apps to be seen.

Montie
07-10-2003, 08:49 AM
How do you do a master reset?
Thanks

Spooksie_uk
07-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Launcher > Handset > Master Clear/ Master Reset

As if it is new

:)

Montie
07-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks

H3g - Employee
30-11-2003, 07:30 PM
It's not illegal to alter your A920, 835 or any other 3 handset to take software that has not been tested by us. However, if something goes wrong you are seriously on your own guys.
Remember that we are still a fresh network in the UK and as such the content is fairly limited. There will be a fix for the Bluetooth for the A920 so please don't go ahead and do anything hasty and early next year we will be releasing the modems on the handsets which may not initially give you 396 kbps but you WILL notice the difference in speed straight away when connected to your handset.
Have patience please and trust me when i say, you will not regret being with 3.

;)

darrenforster99
30-12-2003, 12:09 AM
All I want to get on my phone is chess!! can you suggest it to 3 to add chess to the games screen!!!

stuartf
09-01-2004, 06:14 PM
I've finally managed to get this onto my A920 via the usual suspects methods (emulator, qfile manager etc) and it loads fine BUT it won't recognise the files it save. It will import a text file and apparently save it as a database but it won't show a list of .hb files (even the ones it says it has saved which appear to be on the machine)

So near yet oh so far

Any ideas?:confused:

Anonymous99
16-08-2004, 08:15 PM
I think I may have an answer to why 3 are being so over protective of their phones and stopping people putting 3rd party apps on it. If you think inside this phone is a lot of technology - Bluetooth, MP3/MP4 players, Infra Red, GPS, etc. some of these technologies 3 sell to you! ie GPS - they sell you a map for 25p that doesn't even use the GPS, MP3/MP4 - 3 sell you video and audio content and ringtones for use on your phone. Now imagine if you could download a program from the net for use with Symbian that would give you access to the GPS technology in the phone - hey you could get 6 figure grid references without having to pay 3 25p a time for a map! (even better is the fact it would work even when your not in a 3G area!). Also MP3/MP4 content you could install your own videos to the phone and ringtones without buying them off 3! So the income that 3 get from the phone would drastically go down if they let everyone install their own applications! It's kind of similar to walking into a pub and drinking a can of beer that you've just bought from Asda. The phone is being used to create a captive audience!