View Full Version : Aircraft Interference

prozac
03-10-2003, 11:53 PM
As we all know, usage of mobile phones and similar devices are disallowed on flights as they disrupt with the communication/navigation flight systems.

Previously, I was tempted to switch on my 7650 while on a flight only to realise its still a phone after all.

My question is : Is N-Gage enabled to play/listen to music without the phone function turning on? eg. playing on a flight.

I

GhostDog
04-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Yes,the N-Gage has a flight mode feature so you can safely use it on a flight.

BTW:Even the 7650 can be started in flight mode with the aid of a third party program called System Tools from www.psiloc.com

PS:The whole thing that mobiles disrupt the communications navigations system is really a gray area IMO.

prozac
04-10-2003, 05:14 AM
Good to hear that N-gage has a flight mode, cos I am considering getting it as my next "toy".

Originally posted by GhostDog

PS:The whole thing that mobiles disrupt the communications navigations system is really a gray area IMO.

This one is very vague indeed. Laptops, etc can be used with the exception of mobile phones/communication devices. Once, an air stewardess friend of mine left her mobile phone on (unintentionally) thoughout the flight and nothing happened.

N/A
05-10-2003, 06:34 PM
I don't know of any studies regarding this, but given the nature of humans, I bet that there are quite many flights where someone forgets to turn off their mobile. I've done it at least once myself.

Kirill
06-10-2003, 09:36 AM
There is a theory why the use of cell phones is disallowed on board a plane. And it has nothing to do with safety but with economics. I have had to use a cell phone on board a plane, when the flight was rerouted from San Francisco to Oakland to infrom the people meeting me and it worked just fine. So here is the theory:

The phone call made on a cellular is charged to the used according to where it originated. When the called is handed from one tower to the next it is still billed at the rate of the original tower. Well since the plane flies at quite a hight speed you can start at take-off at your home area and in several minutes end up in the roaming area. The implications I think are obvious.

prozac
07-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Kirill
There is a theory why the use of cell phones is disallowed on board a plane. And it has nothing to do with safety but with economics. I have had to use a cell phone on board a plane, when the flight was rerouted from San Francisco to Oakland to infrom the people meeting me and it worked just fine. So here is the theory:

The phone call made on a cellular is charged to the used according to where it originated. When the called is handed from one tower to the next it is still billed at the rate of the original tower. Well since the plane flies at quite a hight speed you can start at take-off at your home area and in several minutes end up in the roaming area. The implications I think are obvious.

I haven't tried this b4 but is it possible to get signals/reception when u are high up in the sky?

N/A
07-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Probbaly no reception at cruising altitudes of commercial jetliners.

However, the true economics issue could be the on-board phone systems you pay with your credit card (their per minute charges rival those of the most expensive hotels & I'm pretty sure airlines get their share of those calls).

Though, I haven't observed the on-board phones being used that much (at least not in economy class cabins). :)

prozac
07-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by N/A
Probbaly no reception at cruising altitudes of commercial jetliners.

However, the true economics issue could be the on-board phone systems you pay with your credit card (their per minute charges rival those of the most expensive hotels & I'm pretty sure airlines get their share of those calls).

Though, I haven't observed the on-board phones being used that much (at least not in economy class cabins). :)

These on-board phones do not operate on the conventional GSM signals I guess. Probably on the satellite types, that's why the premium prices.

n1ghtFLY
08-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Not so long ago my father forgot to switch off his mobile, and in the middle of the journey the Phone ringing LOL. Nothing happened, Then the stewardess told my father to switch off the mobile :D :D :D

anilde
08-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Hi All,
Are you sure the is "Aircraft mode" on the N-Gage? I can't seem to find it anywhere on mine. The N-Gage will not fully boot without a SIM card, no Radio, no MP3 nothing.

Anil

alvinpaul
08-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by anilde
Hi All,
Are you sure the is "Aircraft mode" on the N-Gage? I can't seem to find it anywhere on mine. The N-Gage will not fully boot without a SIM card, no Radio, no MP3 nothing.

Anil

go to "Profile" and select "Offline"... :)

Enexat
09-10-2003, 12:24 PM
I'm slightly concerned by this non chalant conversation about mobile phones and aircraft, have any of you had your phone near a speaker when it connects to the local cell? You know that buzzing sound? that interference still happens on the plane, even if it cannot connect to a cell, except that that interference interferes with the pilots communications, the control systems of the plane (most modern planes use fly-by-wire technology meaning that electronic signals are used to change direction & control engines) not the type of things you want to be effected by interference thousands of feet in the air!!!!

We should all really turn off our phones, I know it is possible to forget (I have) but if 100 people on the plane just don't bother then there could be serious problems.

sco2001
09-10-2003, 04:47 PM
use flight mode on stools. That should solve it, and its actually recgonized by some flight craft.

GhostDog
09-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Enexat
I'm slightly concerned by this non chalant conversation about mobile phones and aircraft, have any of you had your phone near a speaker when it connects to the local cell? You know that buzzing sound? that interference still happens on the plane, even if it cannot connect to a cell, except that that interference interferes with the pilots communications, the control systems of the plane (most modern planes use fly-by-wire technology meaning that electronic signals are used to change direction & control engines) not the type of things you want to be effected by interference thousands of feet in the air!!!!

We should all really turn off our phones, I know it is possible to forget (I have) but if 100 people on the plane just don't bother then there could be serious problems.

I don't agree with you.BTW: Do you think that you posted your opinion in the right thread/topic?

Moving!

askr
23-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Generaly the No-Phone on flights comes from times way back - analogue cell phones, with 5+Watts of output. When it comes to GSM, they have much, much weaker transmitters, so they are prety safe. AFIK, the FAA in the states is preparing to lift the ban, they are thinking about it in Europe too.
Currently, tho most protest are from GSM operators - and not the roaming problem, bu the rapid switching of transmiters could hang them up lol.

prozac
23-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Generaly the No-Phone on flights comes from times way back - analogue cell phones, with 5+Watts of output. When it comes to GSM, they have much, much weaker transmitters, so they are prety safe. AFIK, the FAA in the states is preparing to lift the ban, they are thinking about it in Europe too.
Currently, tho most protest are from GSM operators - and not the roaming problem, bu the rapid switching of transmiters could hang them up lol.

Well, that would be good news. But would it be possible to use the phones in the air? Any signal coverage at all miles up in the sky?

N/A
24-01-2005, 06:40 AM
There is no phone network signal coverage up in the sky.

askr
25-01-2005, 09:43 PM
There is no phone network signal coverage up in the sky.

Not quite true - on low altitude, regional flights you shold have a signal, not max, but should work, especialy over rural areas (at least in Europe) - more powerfull transmiters.
But it might be a problem over the cities.

prozac
25-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Not quite true - on low altitude, regional flights you shold have a signal, not max, but should work, especialy over rural areas (at least in Europe) - more powerfull transmiters.
But it might be a problem over the cities.
Have you personally experienced this? Or a theory?

askr
25-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Have you personally experienced this? Or a theory?

Checked up to 4500 m (14763 feet) on a private (not mine unfortunately ;p) Had between 1/4 and 1/2 signal strenght. Funny thing - while flying directly over a transmiter the signal dropped to zero :)

We didnt fly over ciities, but the transmiters there are usualy much less powerful, but more denser, so I think that getting a good signal might be a problem.

prozac
25-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Checked up to 4500 m (14763 feet) on a private (not mine unfortunately ;p) Had between 1/4 and 1/2 signal strenght. Funny thing - while flying directly over a transmiter the signal dropped to zero :)

We didnt fly over ciities, but the transmiters there are usualy much less powerful, but more denser, so I think that getting a good signal might be a problem.

Thanks for information. At least now i know... :)

Well, I won't be able to take advantage anyhow cos the flights I do are mainly international.... about 9000m up.

askr
25-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks for information. At least now i know... :)

Well, I won't be able to take advantage anyhow cos the flights I do are mainly international.... about 9000m up.

Hyhy, just don't forget that powering up a phone in flight is stil a crime / fellony ;p