View Full Version : Found a way of adding the certificate on your applications to work on a a920

Spooksie_uk
26-09-2003, 11:39 AM
http://www.aussie3g.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1686&sid=7b03789797e28e2fb2f01ba7b575e88d

or

http://tinyurl.com/oqre

GhostDog
26-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Is that legal?BTW,only one user made a couple of midlets run on his device and couldn't repeat the steps so it far away from the real thing.

gw0udm
26-09-2003, 04:29 PM
I'd like to clarify the current situation, as there does seem to be a bit of confusion between boards regarding what is and is not possible at the moment.

First of all, the certificates are freely available for download from the 3 site, but this is only of any use to anyone if the corresponding certificate is installed on the phone.

Early releases of the phones (like mine :)) have these on board, and any midlet signed with them will work. Symbian native applications will also work if they are signed prior to being packaged in a .SIS file. At present there seems to be no way of retrospectively signing an already-created .SIS file (ie pretty much all the available apps). So unless you have the source files they cannot be used.

Someone on the Aussie3G board claims to have midlets working without the certificates - but does not know how this has been acheived. Also he is now failing to get new apps on board. He thinks there that somehow he has 'broken' the certificate manager so that it does not recognise the apps as foreign. Certainly at the moment this is not available as a solution for everyone.

One of the 3 employees on the competition forum site has said that he is going to try to get the firmware 'opened up' at the next release, "or at least more open for you guys" so we shall have to wait and see what that means.

The upshot is that those with the TOCSP certificate installed on the phone can run any Java midlet. I have Pang installed, and most others can be installed very simply by signing them with the 3 provided app and writing a very simple .JAD file to match. If you upload these to the memory card, they will appear in the Install menu of the 'Launcher' app.

I can post info about the .JAD if anyone needs help on it.

Hope this goes some way to clarify the current state of play!

James

Spooksie_uk
27-09-2003, 01:00 AM
If you could that would be great

columns
27-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi, I have both TOCSP certificate's in cert manager and I have signed a Java midlet with 3's program .
Is there anything else I have to do (re:previous post)
What directory on the phone do I download the jar & jad files too
and anything else which I should know
:confused: Sorry for all questions

Cheers

Spooksie_uk
27-09-2003, 04:14 PM
did you manually add the certificates to your a920 or did you have the handset with the certificates already on it.

gw0udm
27-09-2003, 04:47 PM
All you have to do once you have the .jar and .jad file is to copy them (using the 'My A920' icon) to the root of the memory card (ie d:\ ).

Once they are there, go to the launcher app on the phone (ie the icon on the far right with the list of all the applications), and then click on the 'Launcher' menu in the top left hand corner. Then click on 'Install'.

If all has worked properly, you should then see a menu with the new application listed. Click on it and click 'Install'. Now cross your fingers! If all goes well, you'll see a progress bar and an 'app installed' message. It will then appear in the 'Launcher' list.

I think you can then delete the .jad and .jar, as they are copied to new directories in the phone's internal memory.

James

columns
27-09-2003, 04:48 PM
The certificate were already on phone when I brought it from a 3 store

columns
27-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Cheers james I will try later on today and let you know how I get on

columns
27-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi, I done what you said james, it all works up to installing software, the bar comes up but nothing happens it just sits there(phone does not lock up) whats I quote 'writing a very simple .JAD file to match' in your previous post. I havn't touched the jar file (was only altered by signing process)

cheers seamus

columns
27-09-2003, 06:30 PM
sorry last bit should have been, havn't touched the JAD file (was only altered by signing process)

columns
27-09-2003, 07:53 PM
:D just worked out what I was doing wrong. The path was wrong in the .jad file changed it to d:\, pang loaded and working on 920
a little small but works
thanks seamus

gw0udm
27-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Good stuff, glad you sorted it out.

Basically the JAD file only requires a few lines in it, the pre-provided ones often have a lot of extra stuff that sometimes confuses the phone.

If you look around on the net you can find the Sun docs which tell you what is required. When I get 5 mins I'll put it together and post it.

I think there are also some programs available for generating JAD files (don't have the reference to hand), a google search should find them. If you use these you may need to trim out some additional stuff (often they insert Nokia-specific lines which the 920 installer rejects.

James

columns
27-09-2003, 10:08 PM
look forward to the post, will also look around
thanks again
seamus

psa1
29-09-2003, 02:58 AM
I don't have the TOCSP certificates on my A920, can certificates be added the phone manually? (how?) or could you use other certifcates that are in the phones certificates manager? (if you can where could we get them?)
if my post didn't give it away i know vitrually nothing but I'm trying to learn.

thanks

columns
29-09-2003, 09:48 AM
At the moment the certs cannot be added to the phone but 3 might add the certs in a future firmware update, fingers crossed for those who have not got the certs
seamus