View Full Version : Memory OVER

HyPeR
11-08-2002, 07:55 AM
i've got a lot of contacts on my 7650..about 18-20 pics, a few emails, some added software....
i opened a pic & zoomed in once...then zoomed in again...& when i went to zoom in for the 3rd time..it says" MEMORY LOW"
i cant beleive it....if the memory is over so fast... i think i made a big mistake by buying this phone. too low on the memory front.

does anyone know of any bluetooth memory hard disk thing that i can carry with me... that would be really great. Maybe a small Memory stick or something but with bluetooth capabilities.

Let me know.

Ciao

HyPeR

11-08-2002, 08:11 AM
I think you made a mistake buying this phone too. Why would anybody want to buy a 7650 is beyond me. Especially when the P800 is just around the corner...

11-08-2002, 09:29 AM
so far im not impressed with 7650 as i cant do anything with it all i do is text make calls take then delete pics i have 3,567 memory still on it i cant email send mms pics download programs even bluetooth does not work so ive paid 500 for a basic phone which is all i can use it for not happy and no one wants to help me not even nokia dont get this phone

11-08-2002, 10:36 AM
so far im not impressed with 7650 as i cant do anything with it all i do is text make calls take then delete pics i have 3,567 memory still on it i cant email send mms pics download programs even bluetooth does not work so ive paid 500 for a basic phone which is all i can use it for not happy and no one wants to help me not even nokia dont get this phone

No one can help you if you do not give any details. E.g. Which operator? Which bluetooth on PC? Which e-mail provider? What kind of problems
excatly (i.e. error notes, steps you tried to do etc.)?

I haven't had any big problems with my 7650 - Blutetooth (DUN, PC sync), GPRS, E-mail, MMS work just fine. Also I haven't had any memory issues either. If I have phone full of pictures it is time to move them from the phone, the phone is obviously not meant to be used as a photo album, so I either use the Image Upload to Club Nokia and/or beam/Bluetooth the pics of my phone.

11-08-2002, 10:42 AM
I think you made a mistake buying this phone too. Why would anybody want to buy a 7650 is beyond me. Especially when the P800 is just around the corner...

Maybe because the 7650 is a great phone? Really it is! There is not a single other phone on the market with these kind of features. Also the 7650 is really easy to use - the UI is great (IMHO).

The P800 is not here yet and at least I wouldn't compare it to the 7650. It is meant for completely different user segment, i.e. PDA users. I personally hate touch screens and that it requires two handed usage... + the P800 is also obviously meant for right handed people - why on earth is the jog dial placed like that? :-). Of course these are just my opinions based on facts on some small web pages with P800 spec/pictures and they might change when I get to play with the phone.

dswskinner
11-08-2002, 04:29 PM
I'll add my 2 pence

I got my phone on tuesday and what can i say, very impressed indeed. Everything works fine (well, i haven't had a chance to try BT or MMS yet). THe only problem that i had was getting my WAP to work, but with a bit of help from forum members that was solved quickly ( i didn't enter the IP Gateway or Homepage, d'oh). The user interface is almost perfect IMHO. Although while getting used to the slightly different lay of the keys (i moved from a 6210) i keep on almost deleting things by pressing the cancel button button. But at least it asks me if i am sure i want to delete the item.

Wicked Phone.

P.S. I agree about the P800, Completely different markets. The P800 competes better with the 9210 (which i personally don't like)

lanwarrior2000
11-08-2002, 04:32 PM
Hello Zark,

I am based on Singapore and have registered with Club Nokia. However, I can NOT upload my pictures from the "Images" application.

I can login just fine to www.club.nokia.com or www.club.nokia.uk. I can even access the Photo Zone. But how the hell do I upload?

I am sure it should be the same, UK or Singapore, but I am puzzled.

To all,

As far as the P800, I have LOST my faith in Sony Ericsson since I ditched my T68. You know how SLOOOW the OS is?

Also, I have the iPaq 3970, so I carry 2 devices. NOTHING, at least not currently, can replace the 7650 and iPaq 3970 combo. P800 can NOT, compared to my 3970, allows 802.11b connection, VPN, telnet, full web browsing using IE, MP3 with 1 GB IBM Microdrive, etc.

Remember, a phone is a phone and a PDA is a PDA. However, how you use your devices dependes heavily on you.

OK, I'll stop now... :D

11-08-2002, 04:35 PM
lanwarrior2000, have you activated the photo zone on the club nokia web site?

I don't think you can access it with your phone until you have logged into the web site with your ID and then Explicitly activated the Photo ZOne by accepting the term and conditions.

lanwarrior2000
11-08-2002, 04:52 PM
Hello Guest,

Here's what I did:

1. Login to www.club.nokia.co.uk (previously registered)
2. Once inside, click on "Photo" (Left Menu)
3. Click on "Access Photo Zone"
4. I am in. (click on Photo Album, upload image, etc...etc..)

From the phone, still can not upload image.

BTW, what is the image server address used ON THE PHONE ITSELF for uploading image? By DEFAULT, I have http://www.club.nokia.com.

lanwarrior2000
11-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Turn out that I must use the INTERNET GPRS Access Point, NOT the WAP GPRS Access Point.

Thanks for the help all!

dswskinner
11-08-2002, 05:05 PM
AKA Guest

Ahh nice one m8, wouldn't have thought of that probably. Well have fun uploading

11-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Whoops, I guess I bumped into a bunch of Nokia worshipers. ;)

If 7650 is not supposed to be a PDA, what is it then? Just a very expensive phone with a toy-camera? PDA means 'Personal Digital Assistant' and not 'handheld device with a touch-screen'.

If you want just a good phone, then buy a T68i or Nokia 7210/6610. If you want a good PDA+phone in one device then buy a P800 (or, if you don't mind the size, Nokia 9210). If you want a small and light phone and a separate larger PDA (because you don't need it all the time), then buy an IPaq (which, I agree, is more powerful than the P800) and an e.g. SE T68i. But, why on earth would anybody want something like a 7650? :o

11-08-2002, 05:35 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot. Zark, the P800 does have a numeric keypad so you can use it with only one hand too. You can use the jog-dial with either your thumb or your index finger so both left handed and right handed people can use it.

So, for phone functions (phone calls, messages, contacts, ...) you can use the P800 like any other phone with a numeric keypad. And, for PDA-functions you can (if you want) just flip the keypad open and use stylus+touch screen. What a great device! I am definitely getting one...

dswskinner
11-08-2002, 05:41 PM
There is a difference,

The 7650 is a phone with (some) PDA capabilities - It has very limited Calendar and Contacts functionality and you are able to install a very limited amount of 3rd party programs

The P800 is more like a PDA with phone capabilities ( like the XDA, but not as good). And yes i would call having a touch screen with handwriting recognitin a function of a PDA.

As i said before, i think that the P800 should be compared with the 9210 or even The XDA (Which i believe is an altogether better system) and not the 7650.

When it comes down to it, how many more features does the 7650 have that any other nokia phone doesn't (the 6310 for instance)?

Colour screen - So does that make the Samsung T100 a PDA?
Camera - Does that make any of the Digital Cameras out there PDA's
MMS - Supposedly the successor to SMS, all phones will have it soon enough.

And i really am not a nokia worshipper, take my stance on the 9210 for instance

11-08-2002, 07:56 PM
@enigma:

Yes, the feature list stands against the 7650 and for the P800. But did you compare the usability ?

7650 is available, it has no need to use both hands (car usage !!!) and it is much more compact than the P800 (as far as we know).

Just put both phones in your trousers the whole day and you will see...

Just my 0.02 - there is some more - concepts just differ !!!

Andy

11-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi enigma,

I just use a Palm and the 7650 - it works.

Andy

11-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Whoops, I guess I bumped into a bunch of Nokia worshipers. ;)

If 7650 is not supposed to be a PDA, what is it then? Just a very expensive phone with a toy-camera? PDA means 'Personal Digital Assistant' and not 'handheld device with a touch-screen'.

If you want just a good phone, then buy a T68i or Nokia 7210/6610. If you want a good PDA+phone in one device then buy a P800 (or, if you don't mind the size, Nokia 9210). If you want a small and light phone and a separate larger PDA (because you don't need it all the time), then buy an IPaq (which, I agree, is more powerful than the P800) and an e.g. SE T68i. But, why on earth would anybody want something like a 7650? :o

No, not Nokia worshippers... Just someone that likes the phone - no matter what the brand is. For me it is really strange to come to a forum dedicated for 7650 discussions and tell them to get a P800. I'd say that person is a more of a SonyEricsson worshipper than those that are discussing the phone the forum is dedicated to.

Have you used the 7650? For how long? What has made you hate 7650 so much that you come here and troll?

For me 7650 is a phone I use to communicate with my mates. I regard PDA as something for business usage - for more business oriented communication (spreadsheets etc.) and that 7650 is not... Yes, it can do some PDA stuff, but not that much I'd call it a PDA.

I don't want to carry around two pieces of equipment (iPAQ + some phone), for me the 7650 is a perfect combination of a great UI and usability and features + I can install new apps to it. The camera is OK for quick snaps on various situations I wouldn't have pictures of pre-7650.

11-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot. Zark, the P800 does have a numeric keypad so you can use it with only one hand too. You can use the jog-dial with either your thumb or your index finger so both left handed and right handed people can use it.

So, for phone functions (phone calls, messages, contacts, ...) you can use the P800 like any other phone with a numeric keypad. And, for PDA-functions you can (if you want) just flip the keypad open and use stylus+touch screen. What a great device! I am definitely getting one...

Sure, I want to play around with one when I have the chance. But currently the concept really doesn't seem that nice. I want to have the full functionality to be available for easy usage without touchscreens and keypad flips. Also, I'm not yet too convinced on the index finger usage for left handed people. But lets wait and see when the phone is out and decide then how good it is.

12-08-2002, 09:37 AM
The 7650 is a phone with (some) PDA capabilities - It has very limited Calendar and Contacts functionality and you are able to install a very limited amount of 3rd party programs

You're right, the 7650 is just too limited for its price... ;) And, if it's so limited like you say, then why would anybody want to buy it?

The P800 is more like a PDA with phone capabilities ( like the XDA, but not as good). And yes i would call having a touch screen with handwriting recognitin a function of a PDA.

The P800 is a phone with PDA functions, and the XDA is a PDA with phone functions. There is a difference, the XDA is just too wide to be used as a normal phone. And, it uses crappy M$ software. :evil: I like the P800 more because I need a phone more than I need a PDA (and I do need both) and I don't want to be holding a plate to my head when making a phone call. :D

As i said before, i think that the P800 should be compared with the 9210 or even The XDA (Which i believe is an altogether better system) and not the 7650.

OK, so with what can you compare a 7650 if not P800? Can somebody, please, explain to me what is the purpose of this phone, if that purpose is different from the one of P800?

9210, on the other hand, IS a different category than these two phones, you can't really compare it with P800 nor even XDA. And you think that the P800 is more similair to the 9210 than it is to 7650?!? Did you even look at these devices?

I think that you don't want to compare these two phones just because it is so obvious that the P800 kicks 7650's ass big time. :D

@Andy:

Like I said before, you CAN use the P800 with only one hand. And what makes you think that the 7650 is much more compact than the P800?!?

12-08-2002, 09:56 AM
@Zark:

I didn't tell anybody to buy a P800, I was just wondering why did people buy their 7650 (because I don't understand why anybody would want to)? I've had a 7650 (no, I didn't buy it) for about 3 weeks now. Sure, it was cool to use it for the first couple of days, but now it seems just like an oversized fancy phone. It's not really a PDA (hard to input text with only a numeric keypad) so it is just an expensive phone with a toy-camera.

12-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Hi, me again... :D

I just use a Palm and the 7650 - it works.

I'm sure it does work, but if you already had a Palm, why did you buy another large and expensive big-screen PDA-wannabe device like the 7650? Wouldn't it be better if you just bought a normal phone (lighter, smaller) and use that with yout Palm? Why did you need a 7650? Isn't it inpractical to carry two big devices around?

Rafe
12-08-2002, 10:49 AM
I think the main thing to remember is that Nokia see the 7650 as an Imaging phone. i.e. not as a PDA - that it has a few extra functions is a bonus. Its intended that the main focus of the device is using the camera and then use of SMS. E-mail is ther as an alternative sending mechanism.

The contacts and agenda software is probably much better than Nokia would have built because it is a symbian product. (i.e. I'm trying to say that you get the pda functions that you do because its based on Symbian OS not because Nokia designed them in). Let face it for the screen size the 7650 isn't too bad as a simple address book diary, but if you want anything more well then you'll be looking at a P800.

IMHO the 7650 and P800 are in different markets. Nokia will probably launch something in one of its mid range categories (the one between communicator [9210] and imaging [7650]).

The 7650 is available for 80 with a contract in some places (120 on a realistic contract), and so can be quite cheap.

I do agree however that the 7650 will be in trouble if the P800 has similar pricing plans because if it does and given the relative similarity in size I think the P800 may win out.

Rafe

lanwarrior2000
12-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Boy, I sure have opened a can of worm now! :D

Allright, I'll join the fray! :D

I think the P800 is a great concept, but it doesn't fit my need as the PDA+Phone combo.

PDA no longer function just for calendar, to-do, and other PIM type things. Phone no longer just become a communication tools either. Both have extra functionalities that try to combine the best of both world.
i.e. PDA have phone functionality (P800, Treo) and Phone have PDA functionality (calendar, to-do)

What falls short is how company manufacturer it. If the P800 use the standard CF or SD memory card format, I'd love it! It provide I/O input (GPS add-on, 1GB Microdrive, etc.). Too bad Sony is pushing their own proprietary Memory Stick. The P800 handwriting recognition remains to be seen... In comparison, PocketPC2002 Transcriber features allow handwriting recognition that is very good, so good it allows me to write notes during meeting (although not 80 WPM).

So all in all, how you use the device really makes a whole lot difference. For now I like the ability to talk on the phone and write notes on my PDA.

dswskinner
12-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Enigma, I don't agree that the 7650 is expensive for what it does. I have just paid 150 for mine on contract , which i'd just like to point out that the contract is the one that i was going to get anyway and didn't get some rip off deal.

And as for the P800, we really don't know how much it is going to cost. But i'm betting you won't be able to get it for anywhere near 150.

But if i am proved wrong and the prices are comparable then i apologise in advance.

I do object to your question about why would anyone want to buy it. I don't think it is a valid question. Why would anyone want to buy Nike trainers when the can buy Puma trainers? It's all a matter of personal choice. In fact i think the question should be why would anyone not want to buy this phone?? it does everything it is supposed too, it is very easy to use (intuitive and quick UI), it is available to buy now. I'll add that i've never had a problem with a Nokia phone (i've owned 4) but have experienced plenty of problems with Sony/Erricsson phones.

12-08-2002, 03:46 PM
I'll add that i've never had a problem with a Nokia phone (i've owned 4) but have experienced plenty of problems with Sony/Erricsson phones.

Aha, I knew it! This IS really about the manufacturers and not about the phones. Thanks, you've just answered my original quiestion. ;)

12-08-2002, 04:14 PM
p800 IS ugly....at least for me... 8)

ebo
12-08-2002, 06:50 PM
The contacts and agenda software is probably much better than Nokia would have built because it is a symbian product. (i.e. I'm trying to say that you get the pda functions that you do because its based on Symbian OS not because Nokia designed them in).

I agree with Rafe mostly. But I must say that the 7650 has memory problems even for a smartphone. 3,6 MB memory is used too easily with just a few installed applications, downloaded email / MMS messages and stuff like that.

My 7650 just came back from one week's maintenance after the phone's memory had filled. I didn't get it back working, it was reporting "Memory Full" and its OS didn't load anymore.

This happened after I had received two SMS messages in short period. The phone did not warn that it was running out of memory so I was totally surprised when it crashed like MS Windows 3.11 in the old days.

The phone wasn't even repaired, so I got a whole new phone. I sure wish there was more memory even for a smartphone and of course better memory management so that this kind of problems would not occur again.

For 7650 owners: Be warned! Don't let your phone's memory run out. And make those backups! I finally managed to restore a few weeks old backup from PC Suite today after a few hours work since the PC Suite first reported that the backup files were corrupt.

Tero

P.S. For those of you who want to know: yes, I still got the same software v3.12. :(

Zuber
12-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Is it me, or are Nokia loosing the plot a little.

We have the memory problem with the 9210 that still only has 8Mb executable memory. Now the 7650 with only 3.6Mb storage.

Perhaps I've got this wrong, but (IMHO) giving the 9210 12Mb executable memory and the 7650 8Mb storage would have added very little to the cost of the devices and had little impact on the battery life.

I just can't understand why Nokia can come up with devices which are "potentially" fantastic, and then restrict that potential by limiting the memory capacity.
I don't think it is a restriction of the Symbian OS, since Psion devices did not have these problems.
At most, what would it have cost them an extra 5/10 max. Things like USB and also GPRS on the 9210, I understand. Significant cost involved in development etc.
But an extra 4Mb memory, I just don't get it.

OK, rant over.

I just hope the SonyEricsson P800 has plenty of executable memory. Not read how much executable memory it has, hopefully enough to not run into out of memory errors like the 9210. I know the PocketPCs have a system where the same memory is shared between program execution and data storage. If that is how the P800 is done, then potentially, that could leave close to 12Mb free for executable memory if all additional software is stored on the memory card.

Rant really over.

Zuber

TANKERx
12-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Some of the posts here have been really exciting! Good to get some hot debate off the ground. Here's what I think;

The P800 is of the same broad category as the 7650, but more specced up, way more! It means that the P800 is aimed at a different market.

The P800 will have no memory problems. Not only has it got ample internal memory, it will also accept the Memory Stick Duo which will boost it up to 128Mb

Carphone Warehouse are advertising the P800 as costing 499.99 - I guess this is with a contract since this is the only price they are offering at the moment.

I thought the PIM functionality of the 7650 looked great (going by the My-Communicator review).

Nokia seems to think that people don't like too much RAM. Looking at the 9210 and the 7650, I wonder why the heck they didn't shove a bit more dang memory into the devices.

The 7650 looks far more slimline in the photos than it does in real life.

Nevertheless, I'm not likely to be able to afford a P800 and I have an upgrade option waiting for me with Orange, so I'll probably get this..... maybe..... if I can justify it....... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Rafe
12-08-2002, 08:56 PM
I just hope the SonyEricsson P800 has plenty of executable memory. Not read how much executable memory it has, hopefully enough to not run into out of memory errors like the 9210. I know the PocketPCs have a system where the same memory is shared between program execution and data storage. If that is how the P800 is done, then potentially, that could leave close to 12Mb free for executable memory if all additional software is stored on the memory card.

Agree with Zuber it does seem strange that they limit these phones. Why - well tehy say it is usfficient for peoples use, and while those who dont use the phone to it full potential may get by this is ridiculous. Also the reaosn is that 3 years ago when development of the phone started 4mb would have seemed like a lot for a phone, but really it is short sited.

AFAIK the P800 12 Mbyte is going to be for running program storing stuff so potentially will have 4x the memory running ability of the 92x0.

Moka
12-08-2002, 08:59 PM
7650 = phone + fun camera
9210 = phone + business tool
P800 = phone + fun camera + MP3 player + document viewer

Rafe
12-08-2002, 09:00 PM
My 7650 just came back from one week's maintenance after the phone's memory had filled. I didn't get it back working, it was reporting "Memory Full" and its OS didn't load anymore.

This happened after I had received two SMS messages in short period. The phone did not warn that it was running out of memory so I was totally surprised when it crashed like MS Windows 3.11 in the old days.

The phone wasn't even repaired, so I got a whole new phone. I sure wish there was more memory even for a smartphone and of course better memory management so that this kind of problems would not occur again.

For 7650 owners: Be warned! Don't let your phone's memory run out. And make those backups! I finally managed to restore a few weeks old backup from PC Suite today after a few hours work since the PC Suite first reported that the backup files were corrupt.

That's bad - the Nokia 7650 is undoubtedly lacking in the memory department, it doesn't take much to fill it up. Its interestign to hear your experience with memory problems.

It does open an interesting question though - how much memory would be enough? How much would you want to see on the 7650i and would you want a SD / MMC slot?

Rafe

ebo
12-08-2002, 09:55 PM
I just can't understand why Nokia can come up with devices which are "potentially" fantastic, and then restrict that potential by limiting the memory capacity.

I believe this is a strategic choice. If I've interpreted correctly, Nokia sees the 7650 specifically as an imaging phone. If you ask them about the small memory, they will most likely answer that "you can store over 60 pictures or more with the best quality settings" or something like that.

I don't think Nokia wants that businessnen and other professionals buy the 7650 instead of the Communicator which is still the flagship of their product line. So there have to be limitations in the 7650 too. The ideal phone of users' wildest dreams doesn't necessarily mean the best profits and sales in total for Nokia -- especially if we talk about needs of a small minority of customers.

Nokia seems to see the 7650 as the elite league of MMS phones. MMS is not just a feature, but it's a big part of mobile telephone maker's future strategies and income estimations. They want people to buy new phones (in different price ranges starting from the lowest price phones) and send MMS messages.

But then again for tech-enthusiasts like me and many of us here, the whole MMS issue seems pretty useless since I rather use standard email anyway. I strongly believe most of us see the 7650 from a totally different point of view than Nokia and most customers. Large audiences aren't likely to install their phones full of Java applications - it's merely a bonus feature for people like us here.

When it comes to memory leaking issues and other software problems, I think that a significant role is played by the fact that each Nokia phone is a separate project or several projects.

For many times we've seen steps forward and backward with new models. Often these feel pretty irrational, but if you think that there have been separate teams working with different phones at the same and that these are not necessarily shipped at the same time, this all makes sort of sense.

Communicator 9210 is based on an older Symbian OS version than the 7650. The graphical user interface is totally different too, and so are those keypad controls. I wouldn't be so sure that they have been able to build the 7650 based on the Communicator. This could explain why we are seeing memory problems again.

And please remember that I'm just making my own wild assumptions. :)

Tero

x-daemon
13-08-2002, 07:20 AM
ebo, you're definitely right.

imho, nokia did want to be ahead of sonyericsson's p800, with 7650. and a few months later, after p800 come out, nokia will release a mmc/sd epuipped version of 7650..

waht do you think..? do you think nokia will replace ours when such a model come out, or will nokia make the hardware modification..?

if not, i'll feel myself fooled!!!

Ray
13-08-2002, 08:22 AM
..just wondering what the fuzz is all about. Don't they say Nokia is the 'Mercedes' of mobile phones. Well, that's exactly what I feel when holding a Nokia phone or a SonyEricsson 'toy-phone'. :D

13-08-2002, 08:42 AM
nokia umm... not realy mercedez but BMW and

VERTU is realy a mercedez :D :D

btw i think as nokia conclude that 7650 is an imaging phone it's enough to to have 3.6 shared memory (i mean nokia not made 7650 for java apps specialist that hav a lot of memory)

and i wonder if the P800 will face the same problem with other ericsson phone slow input cos they will hav the recognition writing

Ray
13-08-2002, 08:52 AM
...I see VERTU as being a 'Rolls-Royce', who needs the gold??? 8)
The 7650 is and does exactly what it was made for...focussing on Phone, MMS and GPRS. 3.6Mb available for having a collection of photos/messages , surely enough to fulfil this task.

The extras just come with the Symbian OS.

13-08-2002, 08:55 AM
bout when we zooming in and out picture i think it realy takes a lot of memory cos with my laptop bfore i had a picture 1.4 megs and when i try to zoom in and out the dialog box "Run of memory" poped up

so this also is common problem when zomming in and out pictures

but who knows

just my 1.9999999 centx

13-08-2002, 08:57 AM
nahh...

i need the gold if u wanna gimme the phone lol

yep i agree with ray about 7650 was made exactly for what it nokia want to make it as an imaging phone (without flashlight) lol

ebo
13-08-2002, 10:31 AM
...I see VERTU as being a 'Rolls-Royce', who needs the gold???

The point is not who needs it, but who wants it and who can have it. Very many people can't afford it, so getting a Vertu phone is a status symbol. This is not very different from expensive sports cars.

Vertu phones are personalized for each customer so you don't have to worry that anyone else has a phone just like yours. And when you get for example a Vertu GPRS phone, it will be later upgraded to an 3G (UMTS) phone without extra costs. So you get an upgrade service too. If I recall right, Vertu phones' prices start from 6000 euros and the best ones cost over 25 000 euros.

A few words more about smartphones. Many people have got excited about the 7650 for exanple because it's a Symbian OS smartphone, you can install applications, there's an POP3/IMAP4/SMTP email client, a calendar with synchronization and GPRS support so that you can use Internet connections with reasonable costs -- this is like a light version of the Communicator.

I think that Nokia sees the Communicator as the first and best choice for professionals and businessmen who want a phone close to a PDA. At the moment Communicator does not support Java applications and GPRS connections, but I think this will all change with the phone that still has project name Hilden. This is expected to be the next generation Communicator with GPRS support and many other improvements. There have been estimations that it would be released Q1/2003.

Then again project name Cameron is expected to be a Symbian OS smartphone like the 7650, but without a camera. It might also be a more PDA like smartphone with more memory and maybe a memory card, since there isn't the camera taking space and using battery. Or maybe it will just be a cheaper version of the 7650.

Tero

13-08-2002, 11:10 AM
bout the hilden and cameron where did u hear it and is it nokia product or ....

ebo do u like ur 7650

ebo
13-08-2002, 11:38 AM
bout the hilden and cameron where did u hear it and is it nokia product or ....

Hilden is rumoured to be the next generation Communicator and Cameron a Symbian OS smartphone without a camera, both from Nokia.

For example The Register had an article a long time ago about smartphones from different manufacturers - these are all more or less rumours:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/23512.html

ebo do u like ur 7650

There are pros and cons, but generally I'm satisfied. It's still far from perfect, but at the moment the best combination of a phone and a PDA. I'm also anxious to get my hands on the Sony Ericsson P800 as soon as it arrives.

Tero

Zuber
13-08-2002, 11:47 AM
Assuming it's slimmer than the 9210, Hilden is probably just whatI want. I can't wait around forever though, so I guess it's going to have to be a P800. That's assuming it doesn't end op being due in Q1 2003. At which point, I'll be going through the is hilden really due out Q1 posts :-?

Zuber

13-08-2002, 12:19 PM

That's bad - the Nokia 7650 is undoubtedly lacking in the memory department, it doesn't take much to fill it up. Its interestign to hear your experience with memory problems.

It does open an interesting question though - how much memory would be enough? How much would you want to see on the 7650i and would you want a SD / MMC slot?

Rafe

That (more memory) is definitely NOT the solution. By time you fill up every amount of memory with the same result. The solution would be allowing flushing the memory by yourself, perhaps with a key combination (Ctrl-Shft-F ?!?!?). As it seems to be this must be part of an OS update. Ergo - wait.

OTOH more memory would be not that bad, though :-?

Andy