View Full Version : Nokia 6600 Network Locked & UK Availability Date

Pagemakers
15-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Just noticed on theVodafone UK website the Nokia 6600 is locked to their network.

I thought it was only Orange and T-mobile who did this? :cry:

"This phone has been optimised to work with the Vodafone network. Non-Vodafone SIM cards will not work in this phone without being unlocked first which may attract a charge."

Just called Vodafione. It will be available on October 20th and it costs 19.99 to unlock :D

WiLDCHiLD
15-09-2003, 04:04 PM
I don't really know about the UK - But I have just talked to a friend of mine from Nokia and he states that the release in the Nordics will be just around the 1st of October - Maybe a week earlier!

Looking forward to holding it in my hands!

swing
15-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Vodafone have started to lock all their "Vodafone Line!" Handsets to Vodafone UK. This will, in general include any smartphones they release (as they will be capable of accessing the Live! services).

Ironically, T-Mobile aren't locking all their handsets all the time, although Orange still do lock all their handsets.

The bigger question is whether they will unlock the phone for 20 before the initial 12 month contract is up (or without the equivalent of 12 months subscription having been paid)

omar_g
15-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Vodafone will unlock the handset for 20 with no upfront payment required (only Orange demand this). If you are over 6 months into a Vodafone contract they will usually unlock the handset for free but this depends on your service provider; some are better than others.

T-Mobile handsets are always locked but some retailers use generic, unlocked "GSM" stock if they've run out of T-Mobile provided handsets. Carphone Warehouse are a prime example.

Don't forget that the 6600 is a DCT4 handset and as such it will probably be possible to unlock it using the simple software floating around on the internet. You can have this done for 1 at the CrazyNokia.co.uk forums or for $USD5 at a number of US based sites. Codes are returned both on-site or via email and are pretty much instant.

Pagemakers
16-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Cheers. Thanks for the info.

Kyuro
16-09-2003, 05:46 PM
did they happen to mention the price of the handset when you contacted them? i know it varys between tarrif but they may have given you a ballpark figure at least :)

Pagemakers
16-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Nope. No price at all.