View Full Version : Dodgy 3 software thing ...

james_preedy
09-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Heya all,

I'm intrigued about 3 and their UIQ locking of the handset ... When you copy say a java game on (.jad & .jar) onto the phone, go to the launcher, then install, point it at the game on the MMC or whatever and tell it to go for it, it says that because its not got a certificate signed by almighty 3.

Hmmm ...

So go to the 3 webby and download the 3 development software for the little compo their running ... then convince their software to use 3's security certificate to "sign" the jad.

Then try installing it again ...

Well it worked. It installed the software - fantastic! There's even a piccy I upped in one of the other topics with a "Spot the difference" by it. No-one noticed of course because no-one would know that a Nokia 7210 java game shouldnt be installed on a 920 in the first place! So I crashed and burned there!

Anyway. I've managed to get unsigned java code onto my 920. But it wont run ...

Anyone tried similar? All two of you in the world with a 920? If you have any joy ... let us know?

Ta all,

James

Ah dammit, I'll up the piccy again - spot the mistake!

Spam Monkey
09-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Damn! I was really hoping you'd found a loophole. It is inevitable that either someone will find a way or 3 will relent from this lunatic policy.

It would have been cool if you'd bypassed it on day 2 though!

SM

james_preedy
09-09-2003, 07:09 PM
I wish dude, although the more I play about, the more confident that we are gonna be able to crack this nut. Its gonna have to be by working out how to sucessfully sign our apps so as to appear from 3 tho ...

Anyway, we'll see...

James

faquick
09-09-2003, 07:59 PM
well it could be quite easy now to "recompile" java apps

but what can you do with C++ UIQ apps? :(

cogan
10-09-2003, 11:41 AM
where can i get the 3 development software,
can u post the URL pls.

james_preedy
10-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Rafe almighty :p already has dude ...

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/newsdisplay2.php?id=16554

However, here's the direct link ...

http://www.three.co.uk/A920competition

cogan
10-09-2003, 12:15 PM
thank for the url

but I cant register,

How to register?
do i have to be a three customer in UK?

because I am three customer in OZ

thank in advance.

11-09-2003, 11:37 AM
I downloaded the signing tool.

Downloaded a copy of java doom from aussie3g.com and signed it with the tool.

Tried to install it and it said it failed security check. When i pressed details, it said Signed by : Symbian LTD.

but still wouldnt pass check