View Full Version : A920 on three - anyone else got one yet?

08-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi

Just picked up an A920 from my local three store. From what I've read it is currently locked to applications from three so that they can charge for them (hopefully that'll change soon).

So far, pretty impressed with it, but as I'm waiting for those muppets at three to activate my SIM (up to 72 hours!!!) I haven't really done much except play with the calendar and contacts.

I think I may now retire my Palm Vx after so many years of faithful service.

Regards

SM

J2theIZZO
08-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Would you mind posting some pictures here?...interested to see some more.

Also have you tired installing any UIQ/P800 applications on it to test if it's locked or not....it's a great shame if it is locked.

09-09-2003, 12:06 AM
I have tried the bristol shops and the shops in warrington near manchester (dixons, link, car phone warehouse etc)

Non of them have any idea when the A920 is coming out!!!

Where did yo uget yours please?

Dinalli
09-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Ive got one on order from an internet retailer. Ive been waiting 2 weeks so far, I think its just a matter of 3 getting the stock out.

Delta737
09-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Would you mind posting some pictures here?...interested to see some more.

Yeah, could you please!? I would be VERY interested in that as well

09-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Will post some pictures of it this evening - but basically it's large and not particularly attractive. Not something that you could easily put in a pocket - just about OK in a jacket pocket, but you definitely know it's there.

I bought mine from the 3store on Oxford St, didn't seem to be a problem with stock, free on the 750 minute contract which I will downgrade to 500 minutes in three months.

Still waiting for the muppets to activate the SIM, but in the meantime had no problem at all synching my Calendar and Contacts with MS Outlook - it didn't seem particularly fast - about five minutes for about 500 calendar events and 300 contacts - but future synchs will be much quicker.

Watched half of a film on it during my commute this morning, the screen is pretty rubbish in bright sunlight, but pretty good when shaded - picture small and jerky (but pretty decent in landscape mode) but that's to be expected given that I compressed 200mb to 24mb with the Nokia media converter.

Plays MP3s as well as my current MP3 player - a Creative Muvo through the earphones, but I'm not an audiophile. Sound through the speaker is OK, but obviously limited.

Regards

SM

james_preedy
09-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Lo all,

I managed to pick mine up from the York 3 store ... that said it's more a corner of Superdrug, but we won't argue the toss! :p
From wat I gather they got 10 in, and sold them within the first day. A couple of mates who work in P4U and CPW are expecting any for aroudn the next month. That said ... who knows!
As with the rest, free on VT750. First impressions are ace and a 256meg MMC really helps. There are a few bugs, but I'm already trying to make friends wit the lads down my local Mota Service Centre. The USB software is a little flakey too ... :S
For comparisons sake when anyone else gets one :p wat realease you got? Mine's 11.06.00.00?

James

09-09-2003, 10:45 AM
www.three.co.uk/A920competition

the press release is at http://www.three.co.uk/news/h3gnews/pressnewsview.omp?collcid=1019745742912&cid=106303 4158788&index=1

8)

langdona
09-09-2003, 11:43 AM
I have tried the bristol shops and the shops in warrington near manchester (dixons, link, car phone warehouse etc)

My God you were close, the Superdrug in Broadmead Bristol has them. Yes the shop next door to Dixons ;)

I was surprised, compared to the other 3 phones it looks quite small. Just shows how big they are then :o

james_preedy
09-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Big? It's large! Thinner than i was expecting, but the screens enormous. Still can always use it as an offensive weapon ... :S

Photos to appear soon when Rafe sorts them :p

(James exits very quickly stage right ... hehe)

p51
09-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Cheers Langdona,

Cant belive I was that close!

To tell the truth, the posts in this thread are the first I have actualy heard of Superdug selling 3 phones. I never knew!

james_preedy
09-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Neither did I ... tho I suppose I should have suspected something - think back there was a 10 foot high "3" logo in the window!

James

09-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Ive just called my local superdrug and they have them in too.... cant believe Ive tried every other local phone shop, and many internet ones, and none of them have them!!!!!

SD told me that they are 50 on VT750... can anyone confirm... I know some other stores are doing them for free.

J2theIZZO
09-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Am I reading this right?....Superdrug as in the place you go for hair dye and nail polish (If your that way inclined ;) ) are selling mobile phones on contract?

09-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Spot on!!!

I did remember seeing the stall when I was in there last, but I didnt think they would have the a920 before the major phone retailers.!!!!

Im currently on a waiting list with an internet retailer.... mmmm.... for the sake of a week or so, I can save 50!

langdona
09-09-2003, 03:18 PM
To tell the truth, the posts in this thread are the first I have actualy heard of Superdug selling 3 phones. I never knew!

I checked the 3 website. It seems like 3 rent shop space from Superdrug like in a department store, so they are in effect 3 outlets. Hence they get the new devices first before the general phone shops e.g. Carphone Warehouse etc.

09-09-2003, 03:55 PM
SOD IT!!!

Im off to superdrug tomorrow to get one... speaking to a few places, they arent sure when they are getting them in... some said end of month, and if thats the case... the free video content expires at end of month. So in the long run... the 50 outlay may not be too bad!!

nk8
09-09-2003, 05:08 PM
lol, it's not everyday you go to a drug store to get a cell phone, :angel: ummm, yeah, i noticed this too that my local superdrugs had a section for 3 especially. now i know why :angel:

Reefer
09-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Does it have Bluetooth and IR guys? If not then it is a bit of a step backwards for such a hi-tech device don't you think? :)

sidneylopsides
09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Hutchison Wampoa own Superdrug as far as i know. I was considering one, but not until you can install software as you want, and true wap/net access would be nice too!

10-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Just picked up handset from Superdrug.... also just called up to cancel an online order I had placed, was on waiting list, and they told me it was due to get shipped out tomorrow.... BUGGER... it was FREE from the online store!!!!! They told me when I spoke yesterday that it would be end of month.. oh well... nevermind!!!

No bluetooth... doesnt bother me, never used or needed it. Has IR though. It is quite large, but then what do you expect from such a sophisticated handset... first impressions are quite impressive!!!!!

Just waiting for activation. :D

Spam Monkey
10-09-2003, 09:46 AM
It does have IR but it is disabled. I believe blue tooth is also built in but also disabled.

I can live without blue tooth, but I really wish they hadn't messed with the IR, it's so handy for beaming info to other mobiles or laptops.

SM

james_preedy
10-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I agree, the bluetooth doesnt bother me too much, but the IR's a bit of a hastle. Without the USB, its a nightmare emailing everything to the handset. Again tho, I'm sure we'll work out an easier wasy ...

Im getting there on open data by the way, but I'm only in a 2.5g area - not sure if it'll work in a 3 area tho.

J

Spam Monkey
10-09-2003, 10:28 AM
That sounds great - want to share the details? I am in a 3g area (just) so can check it here.

SM

10-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi i am totally new to smartphones which do you guys think is the best option

10-09-2003, 11:15 AM

james_preedy
10-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Lol,

I dont think anyone can deny that the a920 has the most potential. The bluetooth and IR will need a firmware upgrade to get them going. At the moment, you cant import any midlets or UIQ apps from third parties that arent signed by 3. I think there is potential in terms of getting the midlets going shortly, but again - who knows. Remember Orange and the SPV tho, I think 3 will give in at some point and allow unsigned apps to be run. At the moment, you can only use 3 mail on the handset which is a bit of a downer. I havent had any joy in getting other mail to work yet. In terms of data support, I've had limited success in getting Opera to run other web sites than 3's own, although thats having problems of its own now and its was in a 2.5g area - I'm havent tried it in a 3g area yet.

Basically the a920 could be the best phone on the market by a very long way. Unfortunately, it's not quite there yet ...

James

Raven
10-09-2003, 01:19 PM

With '3''s ridiculous restrictions and "walled garden" data access approach, and no Bluetooth or even IR, I wouldn't even call the A920 a "smartphone".

Now, if you want a real smart/PDA phone with no such restrictions and an OPEN OS, get a P800 or wait for the P810/P900.

james_preedy
10-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Well my 920 has full data access ... no walled garden for me! The 920 has both bluetooth and ir hardware tho granted they arent included in symbian. Any 920 owners are gonna need a firmware upgrade in the next 2 or 3 months to activate them. The 920 uses MMC & SD as opposed to the P800's Sony proprietary rubbish, has a 65k screen, plays mp3s for ringtones, has a better camera and cna take videos, unlike the P800. Oh and I got it for free. And my GPS works. And it looks nicer. And has blue lights on the cradle. :p

J ;)

10-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks i had heard that 3 have open browsing in australia, privilages of home base i suppose :-l

Rafe
10-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Looks like the UIQ wars have begun. Anyone for ring side seats?

Of course I won't officially weigh it - yet ;)

Rafe

10-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I did not mean to start a war just a complete novice not wanting to make a major mistake

james_preedy
10-09-2003, 01:53 PM
That's alright ... some wars can be fun! :p

Raven
10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Well my 920 has full data access ... no walled garden for me!

But only if you go out of the '3' network coverage, which defeats the whole purpose of having a 3G handset IMO.

The 920 has both bluetooth and ir hardware tho granted they arent included in symbian. Any 920 owners are gonna need a firmware upgrade in the next 2 or 3 months to activate them.

It doesn't matter if the hardware is there if you can't actually use it. And do you have any guaranties the such a firmware upgrade will ever happen?

The 920 uses MMC & SD as opposed to the P800's Sony proprietary rubbish

I'll give you that one.

has a 65k screen

And what about battery life? Besides, the P810/P900 will have 65K colours as well.

plays mp3s for ringtones

Couldn't care less. The P800 plays .wav files for ringtones which is the same as MP3 basically, only uncompressed. Besides, .wav files is usually much louder than MP3.

has a better camera and cna take videos, unlike the P800.

Don't know about the camera being much better, they are both just VGA. The P800 can also record video, someone just has to develop the app. The P810/P900 will be able to record video out of the box.

Oh and I got it for free. And my GPS works.

Both good points.

And it looks nicer. And has blue lights on the cradle

It most certainly doesn't look nicer through my eyes. Sorry but I think it's a design catastrophy, and almost twice the size of a P800. The P800 cradle has that green S/O/N/Y logo which lights up when it's connected, which I think looks nice.

For me, disregarding the design, I would never consider ANY smartphone or PDA with the restrictions of the A920.

sidneylopsides
10-09-2003, 02:11 PM
I agree the 920 has some advantages, better memory options and better screen, but i have to disagree about it looking better! Also the p800 doesnt have any network or connectivity restrictions at all which makes it more attractive... :D
But i still might get a 920... :D

james_preedy
10-09-2003, 02:41 PM
But only if you go out of the '3' network coverage.

True. But this doesnt mean we wont be able to soon. 3aus can do it and they are a few months ahead of us in terms of 3 services. That and I cant believe that 3 would bring out a business handset without at least the intention of being able to use data services.

It doesn't matter if the hardware is there if you can't actually use it. And do you have any guaranties the such a firmware upgrade will ever happen?

Also true. And no we dont have any quaranties. However if the hardware is there, it must have been put there for a reason, and again I think that this is one of the issues that 3 need to address. When enough consumers are out there complaining, they are gonna need to do something about it. Same as Orange and the SPV ...

And what about battery life? Besides, the P810/P900 will have 65K colours as well.

Battery life isnt as bad as I had thought. Its certainly better than the e606, I get a couple of days use out of it. Again, you get given a second battery - not the solution I agree but it helps. The batteries are the same for the 920 as the 830 (bloody awful phone) and that has extended life batteries - don't see why they shouldnt help in the mean time.

Couldn't care less. The P800 plays .wav files for ringtones which is the same as MP3 basically, only uncompressed. Besides, .wav files is usually much louder than MP3.

Hmm ... think I missed this one. Surely being uncompressed its enormous? If you just extract a 9 meg mp3, you'll get a 80-100 meg wave. Now even if you've got a 256 meg Sony stick thing, surely its not worth it for a bloody ringtone? Whereas we drag and drop it on and hey, bob's your proverbial uncle. We could get a few albums in the space of your ringer!

Don't know about the camera being much better, they are both just VGA. The P800 can also record video, someone just has to develop the app. The P810/P900 will be able to record video out of the box.

I've been playing with a P800 for the last few days and the camera is marginally better and the white balance is improved. It's not biggy. However the video features are great as you can get 30odd frames a sec which puts the 606 and 808 to shame. Remember - the 920 is out ... the 810/900 arent yet and neither is the P800 software.

It most certainly doesn't look nicer through my eyes. Sorry but I think it's a design catastrophy, and almost twice the size of a P800. The P800 cradle has that green S/O/N/Y logo which lights up when it's connected, which I think looks nice.

It's a matter of taste! :p It's not twice the size tho, its a little heavier as its metal rather than plastic, but it is a bit thinner. Remember its also got a much larger screen thats alot less grainy. As for the cradle ... you've got a point - the Sony one was nice, but I'll take the blue anyday - but thats my preference!

For me, disregarding the design, I would never consider ANY smartphone or PDA with the restrictions of the A920.

I agree to some extent. 3 have made some big c*ckups on this one, but fingers crossed they'll follow along the lines of 3aus and sort them out ... if they don't I think they'll go out of business fairly quickly.

Thats why I said ... "I dont think anyone can deny that the a920 has the most potential" and "Basically the a920 could be the best phone on the market by a very long way. Unfortunately, it's not quite there yet ... ".

I stand by it ... the 920 has the potential to take the P800 to bits ... :)

Raven
10-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Surely being uncompressed its enormous? If you just extract a 9 meg mp3, you'll get a 80-100 meg wave. Now even if you've got a 256 meg Sony stick thing, surely its not worth it for a bloody ringtone?

LOL, what's the point of having a 9MB MP3 as your ringtone??? A ringtone can only play for like 10-20 seconds before you get to voicemail. So a 200-300KB .wav file is only what you need. The P800 can also play back Ogg Vorbis music files, which means that with a 64kbps Ogg file you get the same quality as a regular 128kbps MP3, but the ogg file will be HALF the size of the MP3.

Remember - the 920 is out ... the 810/900 arent yet

I think it's fair to compare with the P810/P900 since most of your arguments has the basis in what the A920 MAY BECOME, not what it actually IS.

Remember its also got a much larger screen

No it doesn't. They have the exact same screen size/resolution (208x320).

Thats why I said ... "I dont think anyone can deny that the a920 has the most potential" and "Basically the a920 could be the best phone on the market by a very long way. Unfortunately, it's not quite there yet ... ".

I stand by it ... the 920 has the potential to take the P800 to bits ... :)

This is what all your arguments boils down to isn't it, POTENTIAL. The P800 is also still fairly new, in terms of OS/UI at least. But the P800 has the kind of potential that the A920 may never have - the potential you get from having an OPEN OS.

10-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Ok so i assume you got the a920 free on contract ,again i assume a new contract or are 3 doing mid-term upgrades that i do not know about ?!

james_preedy
10-09-2003, 04:02 PM
LOL, what's the point of having a 9MB MP3 as your ringtone??? A ringtone can only play for like 10-20 seconds before you get to voicemail. So a 200-300KB .wav file is only what you need. The P800 can also play back Ogg Vorbis music files, which means that with a 64kbps Ogg file you get the same quality as a regular 128kbps MP3, but the ogg file will be HALF the size of the MP3.

Hehe, again, fair point. Remember the 920 can do the same. BTW, anyone know off the top of their heads wat an AMR file is?

No it doesn't. They have the exact same screen size/resolution (208x320).

As ever you're right ... I just assumed the best / worst! :p However I am confused - the actual screen size is a little larger on the 920 but the P800 seems very grainy in comparison - a little like the photos as well. Is it a different type of screen then, cos it looks a fair bit better. I cant see the 65k vs 4k arguement accounting for this tho ...

This is what all your arguments boils down to isn't it, POTENTIAL. The P800 is also still fairly new, in terms of OS/UI at least. But the P800 has the kind of potential that the A920 may never have - the potential you get from having an OPEN OS.

Damn right it is. But I use the arguements as I believe them to be on the short term - 3's walled garden approach to data no longer exists in Australia and Orange's SPV lasted only a few months before you could put any software you like on it. As for the bluetooth and IR - you're right who knows?? Although I disagree on the later point - potential comes from the hardware not the software. You cant withdraw every P800 in existance to add say a GPS chip to it ... whereas you can release a firmware update to enable some hardware or feature that is laying domant. Remember, granted I'm gonna risk sounding like a broken gramaphone record :p but I think the 920 will be up and running in the UK by Christmas. At the end of the day, when's the 810/900 gonna be here and is it gonna be able to compete with 3g data speeds (like Aus already have) for its business customers?

J

Reefer
10-09-2003, 05:04 PM
I have to agree with Raven that the lack of basic features such as Blutooth and IR are a major step backwards in terchnology. Bluetooth is finally making serious waves and 3/Motorola bring out a "smartphone" without it? Come on?? I use a Bluetooth headset with my P800 and it works great - no such luck with the A920, which is a real shame because I was looking forward to it.

I very much doubt there will be any firmware upgrades available for this phone, look at the nightmare of getting a firmware flash from Sony for the P800!

Nice phone and great tariffs from 3 but I think I will sit on the fence a while longer before throwing my hat into the ring.

Just out of interest James, how is the 2G signal pickup on the 920? Every other 3 mobile I have used has a sub-standard signal lock for 2G.

Raven
10-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Remember the 920 can do the same.

Hmm, the A920 can play back Ogg Vorbis files? - I don't think so.

potential comes from the hardware not the software.

The whole point of having an Symbian or Palm or Linux or M$ OS is the ability to install additional software to improve the function and add features to our handhelds IMO. Does the A920 even have an e-book reader? I really don't care how good the hardware is when the software is limited. I would of course love to have a GPS chip in my P800, but software can also give GPS functionality.

At the end of the day, when's the 810/900 gonna be here and is it gonna be able to compete with 3g data speeds (like Aus already have) for its business customers?

I very much think so. First of all, only a few countries even have 3G nets up and running. And I'm not sure just how much this improved data speed of 3G is going to matter to people. I find GPRS to be more than good enough for e-mail, and I find web browsing to be acceptable. Besides, if most of the 3G networks will continue to follow this ridiculous "walled garden" approach, I'm sure they will fail miserably.

I also think that battery life is an important factor to any serious user.

I have a feeling that 3G will mean, even in the future, that the networks will have more and more control over the content being available to the users, which is something I absolutely hate.

I wouldn't give up the control I have over my P800 with regards to usage, cutomisation and the content I can put into it, for any data speed in the world! But that's me, maybe I'm wierd.. :)

I may very well be alone in my views though, seing as people still pay incredible amounts of money each year for simple gimmicks like ringtones, background pictures and simple Java games etc.. -Something that's also pretty much INSANE to me...

sidneylopsides
10-09-2003, 07:28 PM
For connection speeds, check what the handset supports. The network allows 384Kbps or something, but the e606 and e808 only support 64Kbps, the a830 128Kbps.
What speed is GPRS 4+1?

Raven
10-09-2003, 07:40 PM
What speed is GPRS 4+1?

A maximum of 85,6 kbps + 21,4 kbps. It depends on the network though..

sidneylopsides
10-09-2003, 08:54 PM
i thought so, explains why my p800 is quicker than the e606!

11-09-2003, 11:41 AM
I still cant believe that I wouldnt be able to browse the internet with the new A920.

Its crazy to say that it is competing with the P800 when it cant even browse the www. content of the net.

What does anyone else think of this.

I rang 3 and they dont seem to know whenit will be happenning ?

14-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Things are looking up for 3 users and web-browsing!

Today I spoke to a guy at the TOMO phone shop in Nottingham, UK. He seemed like he actually knew what he was talking about and guessed my question re: full web access before I even asked it!

He said that it'll be available just before Christmas - apparently they've been carring out internal testing and it's going well.

I asked him if he had any idea how much it'd cost and he said that in Newzealand (? or maybe it was Australia) it was cheap, but then also mobile phones are cheaper over there.

Hopefully he wasn't making it all up :fadein: !

Scarfman

Ganjaman Notts
09-07-2004, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=james_preedy]Lo all,
For comparisons sake when anyone else gets one :p wat realease you got? Mine's 11.06.00.00?

Hi, My release is 21.58.01 (System Information) Symbian OS UIQ
The phone (Motorola A920) is wicked but for one problem!...If i recieve an email with a picture in sent from my PC... I goto read the email and download the picture to the phone, but after finding the ???.jpg file and pressing download, it display's the picture on the phone screen and does not download it to the phones memory for future use (To use as wallpaper) BUT I JUST CLICKED DOWNLOAD!....does anyone know how to save pictures from email on the A920?...If so please let me know. Thanks Matt - matt@eviltwins.co.uk