View Full Version : Will the 6600 play NGage games?

tomrudderham
28-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Just been looking through the NGage website and the cool looking games, and I was wondering if the MMC cards containing the games will work on the 6600? Will Nokia lock them out so only the NGage will play them?

Special
28-08-2003, 07:52 PM
it will not. I guess

29-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Humm that is interesting you would think it would work since the 6600 hardware should be superior and it will be good for slase of the games if they work so i dont see why they would lock it since the 6600 coast more then the n gage we will have to wait and see.

evobit
29-08-2003, 04:58 AM
The games for N-gage are on cartridges, there are no cartridge slots in the 6600... so how would you get the game onto the 6600 to start with?

Surely some hacker will rip games off the cartridges somehow, and possibly make them installable on other s60 platforms. Whether or not there is more on a cartridge (ram?) than the game info remains to be seen. If there is not, then yes the 6600 would play these ripped games (in theory).

N/A
29-08-2003, 07:15 AM
The games for N-gage are on cartridges, there are no cartridge slots in the 6600... so how would you get the game onto the 6600 to start with?The N-Gage games will be on MMC cards. There is (will be) an MMC slot in the 6600. However, the MMC games developed for the N-Gage will still only work on the N-Gage and no other Series 60 phone.

Ewan
29-08-2003, 08:47 AM
The N-Gage MMC's are a different physical size - so they won;t fit. The N-Gage also some API Code on teh CPU that isn;t avaiable on other Series 60 phones which will stop the big games palying. Java and OtA games may run on other Series 60, that's not clear yet.

tomrudderham
29-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, if they did work you'd see a loss of sales for the NGage itself. Oh well!

N/A
29-08-2003, 02:43 PM
The N-Gage MMC's are a different physical size - so they won;t fit.Why do you believe so? What's your source of such information? As far as I know, they should be quite standard size MMCs.
Java and OtA games may run on other Series 60, that's not clear yet.The N-Gage should run (besides the N-Gage specific MMC-based games) anything a 7650 or a 3650 runs (be it Java or native Symbian apps). Except for those that need infrared or a camera, as neither one are things that the N-Gage has.

RobP
29-08-2003, 10:13 PM
If the N-Gages MMCs are a different size then they are not MMCs, part of the definition of an MMC is it's size. I suspect it's just an OS thing that stops N-Gage games running on other mobiles.

GhostDog
29-08-2003, 11:26 PM
Specific features and API's are used in the developement of N-Gage games,features and API's that are not availble in the rest of the Series 60 devices.That is one of the reasons why the N-Gage games,games like Red Faction that will come on MMCs won't work on other Series 60 devices.Whether the MMCs used on the N-Gage are differnet in size,i don't know.

Rafe
29-08-2003, 11:29 PM
The game cards are locked (presumably at the software level) so that they will only run on the N-Gage.

In addition there are several API's specific to the N-Gage which many of the rich games take advantage of.

Rich games (i.e. those that come on crads) can only be played on the N-Gage.

PMidway
30-08-2003, 09:50 AM
N-Gage MMCs are the same size as the regular MMCs but its true they can be played only on N-Gage.

07-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Sorry to dissapoint you but the biggest diference (and the most important one) between the n-gage and the rest of the phones is that it has a graphics chip and the rest don't. The games will probably run on an S60 phone but they'll crash the moment you start them up, and there's no way to solve it.

GhostDog
07-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Whatever,from what information i've gathered of the net,thats not true.

There are a few items that make one wonder about the phone's suitability for game playing, it has no dedicated graphics co-processor, the battery has to be removed to change MMC games and a moderately sized (176 x 208 pixels) screen. As a smartphone it has a couple of flaws too, there are rumours of poor Bluetooth support, and there is no camera - the EyeToy style possibilities of a camera on a gaming platform seem to have passed Nokia by too.

Good news
06-06-2004, 03:53 AM
WOW check this link. you guys might just like this.

N-Gage games on a 6600!!! Oh yeh baby.

JasonT
06-06-2004, 05:43 AM
I thought it was clear that you could run certain games on a 6600 (yes, that works), but people are under the impression that this may break certain location applicable copyright laws (ex DMCA) so it's a yes, you can, no we can't discuss it here answer. Or is it ok unless we're talking about hacking the MMC? Seems like nokia would be happy to sell more games. Is this topic staying open and are there some guidelines here?

GhostDog
06-06-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm force to close this thread,sorry.