View Full Version : Symbian/Java Version?

15-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Will the the SX1 be upgradable to Symbian 7.0s and Java MIDP 2.0, as the Nokia 6600 has these as standard?

If so, when will this upgrade be avaiable? Since one would need to be mad to dream of buying this phone without these two features!

molna
15-08-2003, 03:50 PM
No, it cannot be upgraded, seems like Nokia stopped that...

But don't worry, MIDP2.0-apps/games will most likely not be common for a long time ahead and the SX1 will still be superior with it's stereo support, radio, GPRS, hot-swap MMC, more RAM, faster CPU, nicer UI etc... 8)

GhostDog
15-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Ok on most counts,but the nicer UI thing?Series 60 2.0 supports skins/themes.How do you know it will have more RAM?I can't find the specs anywhere.

molna
18-08-2003, 09:10 AM
The SX1 has 16MB RAM.

You can get skins on the SX1 as well, there are 3.party software available. A bit more hassle, but it works :)
( trigenix.com )

N/A
18-08-2003, 09:24 AM
No, it cannot be upgraded, seems like Nokia stopped that...I don't believe that Nokia has done anything to stop upgrading the SX1. If the hardware can handle it, I'm sure it is up to Siemens to do it, if they have also licensed the newer version of the Symbian OS and Series 60. Whether it is cost-effective for them to do it or not, is their decision alone.

n1ghtFLY
18-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Yes SX-1 has 16 MB RAM but what we are talking here is the amount of the RAM which the end user will be using

until now nobody knows or maybe someone ...

Ghostdog talks about the in built skins/themes feature which the Series 60 version 2.0 has to offer not 3rd party s/w.

Molna hav u ever used Trigenix before ??

IMO the prog sucks alot, eats battery cos application in the background. (this is the case with my 7650 though). Also comparing Trigenix with Slauncher it's far better to choose Slauncher. bu well everybody is different no offence on that.

molna
18-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Siemens plans to make around 7MB available for the user. At least that's what they said 3-4 months ago... Things might have changed though. The SX1 will be delivered with quite a lot software (like the Wireless Village Instant Messaging and pvCamcorder).

I've never had a S60-phone yet (simply because there hasn't been any Siemens S60 available) so I haven't tested it. Guess there's better software available :)

moamoa
19-08-2003, 12:06 AM

Ah... this was one of many things you mentioned on your own site that you insisted would be available because your Siemens man told you. Once again I was right :D and you siemens source was wrong. maybe you should stop believeing all his hype, as I told you at the time.

But don't worry, MIDP2.0-apps/games will most likely not be common for a long time ahead

What? Utter rubbish once more. Who are you trying to kid... Lot's is getting done right now, and a hell of a lot of MIDP 1.0 apps can be pretty easily enhanced to make use of all the new functionality in MIDP 2.0.

And what do you mean by "Nokia stopped that..." ?

molna
19-08-2003, 10:44 AM
No, my Siemens source was not wrong, because at that time it was planned to have an MIDP 2.0 upgrade on the SX1 ;)

I work in a J2ME company, maybe that's why I think that MIDP 2.0 won't be so popular for a while... there have to be quite a few MIDP 2.0 devices first :)

moamoa
19-08-2003, 11:04 AM
No, my Siemens source was not wrong, because at that time it was planned to have an MIDP 2.0 upgrade on the SX1

What? You were telling people on site that your siemens source said that the SX1 WOULD be upgradable to MIDP 2.0. This is clearly now not that case, so he/you are wrong.

I work in a J2ME company, maybe that's why I think that MIDP 2.0 won't be so popular for a while... there have to be quite a few MIDP 2.0 devices first :)

:D I see... because your <unamed> company doesn't have any MIDP 2.0 ready, noone else has? :D

molna
19-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Siemens told us on the AllAboutSymbian pub-meeting that there would be an upgrade to MIDP2.0 after launch. Of course I and others said that there would be an upgrade then :)

I know that developers can't afford to put effort into developing MIDP2.0 as long as there are no handsets available (except for a few, Siemens ST55, N6600 etc.). It's all about the money ;)

moamoa
20-08-2003, 09:27 PM

And how exactly is this Nokia's fault? It is far more likely to be siemens holding it back for a later model phone.

20-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Molna is a a blindless Siemens fan who adore the company like God.

I have been to her website and she is so blinded about everything that Siemens does that he doesnt care even if the phone is delayed and oh, not to mention, he prohibits people visiting her site on talking other phone manufacturers esp Nokia.

Pretty scared eh? Dont worry, Siemens, mark my words, NEVER EVER BEAT Nokia.

Dont try to come out as one clean or someone who never-got-mistakes, you gave wrong information and you are not really very reliable, so is your site. No wonder why you only have very FEW members on your forum.

n1ghtFLY
21-08-2003, 05:17 AM
No offence

but well said there ;) ;)

"Open Your Eyes" --- Vanilla Sky :D

molna
21-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Ok....

Sorry for helping 'Guest' with the initial question then :(

moamoa
21-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Sorry for helping 'Guest' with the initial question then :(
Actually you spent 10% of you post answering his question, 12% of your post blaming Nokia, and the other 78% of your post saying the SX1 was better even though it has a poorer OS/UI/.Java version.

I think that sums it up. :)