View Full Version : New Communicator Delayed?

Ewan
03-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Nokia do have a new Communicator, but we're not seeing it just yet. According to this article (http://www.computerwire.info/brnews/008A060E2C575E3680256D51005A702E) it may be because of the confused Smartphone market. Marko Luhtala, Director of Business Applications with Nokia Mobile Phones says "...a refresh for the 9200 Communicator series is not top of Nokia's to-do list." So it's not been forgotten...

Nokia Corp will not introduce a new version of its flagship smart phone this year because of continued confusion in the smart device space.

According to Marko Luhtala, director business applications with Nokia Mobile Phones, a refresh for the 9200 Communicator series is not top of Espoo, Finland-based Nokia's to-do list. This is despite the devices running the long-in-the-tooth original version of Symbian OS 6 and not incorporating GPRS connectivity.

http://www.computerwire.info/brnews/008A060E2C575E3680256D51005A702E

TheSpecialBoy
04-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Later but Better ;)

theloniusflash
07-07-2003, 11:05 AM
I think this is a mistake on Nokia's part - the enterprise market is currently crying out for a mobile device which mixes a small enough form factor with a decent level of functionality. These types of devices are soon going to be launched in droves by the Microsoft guys, stealing them the march into the enterprise (an area in which the Symbian-camp have been traditionally weak).....

Dusty
28-08-2003, 03:20 PM
I also think it's a bit of a mistake: There was a story on "The Register" a couple of days ago, suggesting that while non-phone PDAs were on the way out, smartphones were big business, & that demand for 9210-type machines was also modestly increasing.

As someone who hates to use a stylus, I don't have much of a choice in the market at the moment. As it is, I either have to put up with a lack of GPRS & Bluetooth, or give up my keyboard. Neither is particularly appealing.

CharlieBrown
15-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Last year I bought a Handspring Treo 270 to complement my Nokia 9210. The keyboard or thumboard was good, esp. if you want a one-handed operation. (There's a new one that has just come out that made the thumboard even smaller, the Treo 600).

However, other than that, and the applications that are freeware, I missed the multi-tasking, the elegance of the interface, the Office bundle, the WAP/Web, despite the lack of GPRS. I realized after going to the Treo that what I needed was a laptop replacement where I can do my Word, Excel, and view a bit of Powerpoints; read my emails and their attachment. You have to buy a lot of stuff to add to the Treo to make it come close to the functionality of the Nokia 9210.

I hope that this next one, will delight old Nokia 92xx users the way the Treo users are delighted with their Treo 600.

I have finally sold off my 9210 several weeks ago. I guess that was excellent timing, now that a replacement will arrive.

GhostDog
15-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by CharlieBrown
I have finally sold off my 9210 several weeks ago. I guess that was excellent timing, now that a replacement will arrive.

The replacement will arrive?When?!:confused:

-Edit-

I just found out that a rumoured announcement date is the 28th of October

-Edit2-

If this is true it could spoil my plans to get a p900.

CharlieBrown
15-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Not sure if this were true except that there is heightened excitement close to Oct-Nov.

From The Inside
16-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Just to let you now that you'll have a big and wonderful surprise at NMIC Nice =oct 27th.

Be there or watch the live broadcoast on Nokia.com.

Many thanks for your interest and support.

CharlieBrown
17-10-2003, 01:55 AM
:D:D

heyyhowudoin
19-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by CharlieBrown

I guess ur still waiting and they proved u wrong!

heyyhowudoin
19-10-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by GhostDog

If this is true it could spoil my plans to get a p900.

Then so be it!

Wer is ur sense of spirit man!
Hang in there, it will come!
There goes a syaing dat if nu rily wish so hard 4 sumthng it might jst cme true!
So dnt gve up!
Dnt get a P900!!!:mad:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

heyyhowudoin
19-10-2003, 05:54 AM
Just to let you now that you'll have a big and wonderful surprise at NMIC Nice =oct 27th.

wats on Oct 27???:confused: :confused: :confused:

GhostDog
19-10-2003, 05:13 PM
NMIC takes place on the 29th.Usually,the new products are announced the day before,on the 28th.So we might see the new communicator on the 28th.

Cassius
23-10-2003, 11:12 AM
I think it will run a new platform: Series 90:

http://www.nokia.com/nmic2003/6_2.html

upponalle
24-10-2003, 10:01 AM
This was yesterday on Gizmodo (www.gizmodo.com), but it talks about "consumer phone", which a communicator would not be, or?

Gizmodo scoop: Nokia to announce Series 90 operating system next week
Category: Cellphones

We just got a tip that next week Nokia is going to announce something even bigger than those three new phones we mentioned earlier today: a new multimedia-centric smartphone operating system called Series 90. They're also going to unveil at least one new handset running the new OS next week, and the word on the street is that this first Series 90 phone will be the most advanced consumer handset from Nokia yet.

Cheers,

Rizlam
28-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Doesn't look like the new communicator (if there is one) will use series 90 now

upponalle
28-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Yes, the new communictor will use Series 90, but it is just a matter when it will be introduced.

This is from the Nokia press release:
"...Developer Platform for Series 90 complements Nokia's other developer platform offerings, Developer Platform for Series 40 and Developer Platform for Series 60. Series 80 UI, which is used in Nokia's Communicator line of high-end, top-performance business devices, will continue as the user interface for Communicator devices going forward, and will be aligned with Developer Platform for Series 90. ..."

This means again waiting for a new communicator. I guess I will get a P900, if Nokia does not have any surprises at the 3GSM World Congress in Cannes in February 2004.

Cheers,

GhostDog
28-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Nope,the new Communicator will still use Series 80.Series 90 is a whole new class of devices.

Nokia 7700.

http://nds2.photos.nokia.com/press/photo/phones/jpeg/7700_lowres.jpg

It seems that we might see new communicator in the begining of the next year.

upponalle
28-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Did you check the part from the Nokia press release that I had in last post?
Current communicators are using Series 80, but the new ones will use Series 90! At least that is the way I understand it from Nokia's press release.
Although I'm surprised how bad the English was in the press release. Maybe we need a native speaker to make things clear.

Cheers,

GhostDog
28-10-2003, 04:06 PM
"...Developer Platform for Series 90 complements Nokia's other developer platform offerings, Developer Platform for Series 40 and Developer Platform for Series 60. Series 80 UI, which is used in Nokia's Communicator line of high-end, top-performance business devices, will continue as the user interface for Communicator devices going forward, and will be aligned with Developer Platform for Series 90. ..."

Yes,i did check it out and i agree,the press release is very vague in some points.What does aligned in this case mean?Will the new communicator have similar design to the 7700?Loose the QWERTY keyboard?Will it be more multimedia centric?Or maybe there will be some form of compatibility between Series 80 and Series 90.

Its really not clear to me.:confused:

heyyhowudoin
31-10-2003, 12:27 PM
wat ever platform it wil be based on... im sure its for the best!
but mst importantly, i wud prefer if they kip d communicator's unique look and feel of lyk being an executive with both functionality, technology & style!

but ofcourse, innovations is a constant trend! Go w it!

Hope they dnt loose the full keyboard!