View Full Version : Affiliate Link with Handango.

Rafe
19-07-2002, 06:41 PM
This is ours. Got reminded about it, really must make it more obvious...
No riches to be made, but enough to get a P800, or perhaps towards a charity?

http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformHome.jsp?platformId=4&siteId=308&zsortParams=true

Ewan
19-07-2002, 07:45 PM
Some ideas on the money....

(1) Web hosting fees et all.

(2) Charitable donation.

(3) Purchase of some machines for a big Christmas Raffle of forum members.

(4) Commission a bit of software that we all want for our 9210's?

(5) Some shares when Symbina go to IPO?

P'haps a poll is called for.

Rafe
19-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Some ideas on the money....
P'haps a poll is called for.

Great words oh wise one...

TANKERx
19-07-2002, 08:34 PM
I voted for charity there mate (but I don't like to talk about my work for chariteeeeeee :D ).

I do think, though, that some should be kept for site maintenance, particularly since this site is going to be big and (I speak here as someone who doesn't know the deal that Rafe has with his webhosting service) bandwidth is going to increase, required server space is going to increase and so, therefore, will cost.

N9210
20-07-2002, 01:57 AM
I just voted "Other" and my other being to put it towards the "Get Rafe a damn 9210 before they become obsolete" fund.

Oops - too late - make that a 9210i

Regards

Rafe
20-07-2002, 09:06 AM
I just voted "Other" and my other being to put it towards the "Get Rafe a damn 9210 before they become obsolete" fund.

Regards

Nice of you to say so Patrick, but I feel with me trying to turn this site to a more community basis I shouldn't personally benefit - hence the poll. In case anyone is interested All About ER6 earnt about 120 in the last year.. But most of that was in one advertising deal.

Rafe

happygeek
20-07-2002, 11:34 AM
FWIW I voted other as well, and think that Rafe should get that 9210i fund going (or even a 9210 as they will be cheaper and available by the shedload within a few months of the i hitting the shops).

Seriously, community spirit is all well and good, and the thought is appreciated, BUT without Rafe there wouldn't be the community in the first place - and as he does the lion's share of the work in keeping this community up (behind the scenes) why shouldn't he profit from it just a little bit?

So I say stick the money in a jar and get the f****** 9210(i)...

whiplash
20-07-2002, 12:43 PM
to Our Webmaster - think you must get a 9210i soon huh... it's like we visitors have 9210's and the dear webmaster - not one? i vote for the "get Rafe a 9210..."

good day. :)

Dazler
20-07-2002, 02:59 PM
I would say:
[list]Get rafe a 9210i[/list:u]

Otherwise:
[list]buy up some cool software for the forum members ( the one's who dit more than 2 posts offcourse ;) ) something like taskmanager or active desk (tell me on time so I don't have to buy it ;))) )[/list:u]

[list]A contest to win software/hardware?[/list:u]

[list]Make a all about er6 goodies cd and send it to forum members (free? if money left) (include all demo's with easy reviews and screenshots, all wallpapers, docs, sounds, video files (from n9210.co.uk? :) ) ... in other words everything we have or is legaly downloadable onto one AllAboutER6 CD ? )[/list:u]

[list]Or we could have a poll to ask what software everybody wants and then pay a company to make it for us :) [/list:u]

N9210
21-07-2002, 02:19 AM
I would say:
[list]Get rafe a 9210i[/list:u]

Otherwise:
[list]buy up some cool software for the forum members ( the one's who dit more than 2 posts offcourse ;) ) something like taskmanager or active desk (tell me on time so I don't have to buy it ;))) )[/list:u]

[list]A contest to win software/hardware?[/list:u]

[list]Make a all about er6 goodies cd and send it to forum members (free? if money left) (include all demo's with easy reviews and screenshots, all wallpapers, docs, sounds, video files (from n9210.co.uk? :) ) ... in other words everything we have or is legaly downloadable onto one AllAboutER6 CD ? )[/list:u]

[list]Or we could have a poll to ask what software everybody wants and then pay a company to make it for us :) (hint: MARIO BROS :p (sonic will do 2 ;) ) )[/list:u]

I still think the get Rafe a 9210 fund is the best idea. It must be damn hard to create & maintain a website based on a product (OK - so it's an ER6 site not a 9210 site - but most of the members are 9210 owners) that you don't even have!!

Considering the ad revenue last year was 120 - that doesn't get a lot of software for all the forum regulars.... (well - except free software - 120 will get a LOT of that :D )

As for the CD - this sounds like a good idea as well - but not to use the ad fund. Maybe Rafe could create one and people could purchase it for cost - I'd be willing to help with this (new CD copier in work - could produce a few 1000 a day - no sweat. As for putting on everything from www.n9210.co.uk - I have no objection - but it will take up most of the CD - it's currently running at about 450Mb (man that's a lot of download/upload time on my 56K modem).

Regards

Moka
21-07-2002, 06:54 AM
These are the ones suggested, which I like best:

- Donation to charity
- Use it to buy something as a competition prize to promote the site, or to promote site membership
- To comission software (after a poll of registered members)
- Help pay for the cost of running the site

Moka
21-07-2002, 06:57 AM
I forgot this one!

- Money towards getting Rafe a Symbian OS device

(PS: None of above are in order of preference.)

ebo
26-07-2002, 01:41 AM
I think all the money should be used to support this great website and Rafe's efforts with this. If that means getting the 9210i for Rafe, then that's the way to go.

Tero

langdona
26-07-2002, 08:13 AM
I agree money to Rafe towards phone or site.

Andy

TheSpecialBoy
14-01-2003, 03:46 PM

Regards

The same with me.

Tomahawk
14-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Rafe doesn't say what it costs him to run this site, but I doubt 120 goes very far.

My vote is other:

1) Put any revenue towards running the site.

2) Get Rafe a 9210(i).

However, if Rafe decides that buying himself a 9210(i) is an essential cost of running the site, thats fine with me as well.

seanmiguel
15-01-2003, 12:51 AM
i was having a hard time choosing between 'other' and charity. in the end i voted 'other' (get Rafe that darn 9210 or P800 or 7650!). i admire your sense of community Rafe and this might be the best opportunity to thank you again in spearheading the development of this site! gee, i will be bored to death during lag hours in the office with AAS! goes without saying, i will have no clue as to what my symbian device can do either! :D

cheers! 8)

GhostDog
15-01-2003, 01:02 AM
I voted for other,but i suggest spliting funds between charity,running this site and buying Rafe some cool gadget.

LAuRA
15-01-2003, 07:37 AM
Rafe doesn't say what it costs him to run this site, but I doubt 120 goes very far.

My vote is other:

2) Get Rafe a 9210(i).

However, if Rafe decides that buying himself a 9210(i) is an essential cost of running the site, thats fine with me as well.

I absolutely agree :turn-l:

FOX HOUND
15-01-2003, 08:58 AM

My vote is other:

2) Get Rafe a 9210(i).

i'm with you on that (if he dosn't want it i can take it off his hand and get me P800) :)

Link
15-01-2003, 10:35 AM
How about using it to give FoxHound a p800

With a nice little memory card...if you know what I mean :D :D

Rafe
15-01-2003, 01:08 PM
The site breaks even now (or will do shortly) with advertising and there is a small pool of extra money filling up. However there are plans or this that will benefit everyone. I'm not going to say what yet :) Well OKone of them is partially subsidising a handset for me :)

Rafe

Tomahawk
16-01-2003, 12:54 PM
The site breaks even now (or will do shortly) with advertising and there is a small pool of extra money filling up.

Is "breaks even" on a current basis or have you now covered all the direct costs you incurred to date including startup?

If its only on the current basis, then take the money for a while longer. If you've covered everything since start up, buy yourself a bloody phone! The first benefit we'll all get is an end to all the posts related to "Rafe hasn't got a phone yet" and we can get on with the serious business of digesting TankerX's digressions!

Rafe
16-01-2003, 01:40 PM
It breaks even on current costs* and a bit more as well. However there are several things planned that might need some dosh so I'm keeping a reserve (also if all the advertisers dissappear). Paying what I've spent from the beginning - probably just covered, but not really an issue.

* That is to say hosting. Does not include software / phone bills etc.

Basically people can be reassured that I'm not raking it in. I wont take money out for personal use, but I may subsidise a handset for myself.

Tomahawk
16-01-2003, 02:00 PM
So will it be a 9210i, 7650 or what? Which do you want the most? As Big Chief of the site, this decision represents a significant responsibility !! I am sure that you realise that your personal endorsement of a product after all this time could have a significant impact on the market !!

JyriK
16-01-2003, 02:14 PM
:D yeah, true!
So whats it gonna be then, Rafe ? :D

Rafe
16-01-2003, 04:27 PM
In order not to upset the market I've been asked not to reveal the fact I rather like the P800!

TheSpecialBoy
16-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Look guys,

I wish rafe will have what she wants, especialy p800 it is good.

I wish that rafe can have all the symbian phones, because she deserves them.

In rest, keep buying from Affiliate site .. ;)

Rafe
16-01-2003, 08:36 PM
I wish that rafe can have all the symbian phones, because she deserves them.

Hmm something slightly wrong here but can't spot it. All part of my identity crisis I expect.

Rafe
HE who helps runs this place.

JyriK
16-01-2003, 08:55 PM
just :rofl:

GhostDog
17-01-2003, 12:48 AM
So is the "She" issue resolved?

I've heard that Anastasia (the singer) is male :D

Do not suprise us Rafe :D

A P800 is a great choice!!!

seanmiguel
17-01-2003, 03:09 AM
P800, yup, nice choice! been thinking the same for myself. hmmm... :-?

LAuRA
17-01-2003, 07:41 AM
I think I'll have to wait until the P900 before I switch phones. I want full compatibility with Office-documents (sorry to say). Editing and all.
Perhaps they will name it P9210 8)

seanmiguel
17-01-2003, 09:05 AM
I think I'll have to wait until the P900 before I switch phones. I want full compatibility with Office-documents (sorry to say). Editing and all.
Perhaps they will name it P9210 8)

:D :D :D