View Full Version : Admin problems: 9210, PcSuite & W2K

doni
26-10-2001, 06:09 AM
Hi all!

I'm having problems. I work for a teleoperator here in Finland and I
support Nokia 9210 here at our offices. However I'm having a small problem
installing it on windows 2000. PC Suite installs OK, but the problem is using it. We normally won't give our users local admin priviledges to their computers. And that's what causes the problem.

When I install PC suite using users own username (first I add this username to administrator group), everything works OK. However as soon as I remove user from admin group sync won't work anymore. It seems to find the communicator, but as soon as it finds it I get an error which suggest
to check the cable (= sync no longer works). Everything's ok as soon as I
add the user back to admin group.

I've tried installing with administrator account, the user's own account.
Both ways even using add/remove program function with no luck. Guys at
Nokia Careline couldn't help me. They didn't know. However their communicators sync OK, they can't install anything to their computers (so they aren't in local admin group) yet sync works there. OK, NT in user there, not w2k.

Anyways, anyone succeeded in this? (getting pc suite to work when user has
been removed from admin group).

Thanks,
Janne

JeP
26-10-2001, 08:01 AM
Not a clue, but i think you have to move on NT (or XP)... No problems.

doni
26-10-2001, 08:29 AM
Can't move back to NT nor forward to XP. That's the major problem. Either way would be a terrible job (we're talking about "upgrading/degrading" the whole system in about 20-30 computers).

I haven't tested installing PC Suite for NT, however I got the feeling of that last call to Careline that they don't know how to install it on NT either...

26-10-2001, 10:17 AM
Have you tried removing com ports in safe mode and the Reinstalling?

doni
29-10-2001, 11:17 AM
Okay, I found the problem. It was a very simple one. I had to make a local user account, same name as the roaming one. (Ie if my username for our domain would be doni, then I'd add doni to local group 'user', that was enough). On other forum I read that it's either "Logon as a service" or "Act as apart of operating system" that has to be set to the user.