View Full Version : Will you get an N-Gage?

yourmanlee
15-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Good kick-off topic i think for the N-Gage section.

It's almost here, but i'm finding it hard to drum up any enthusiasm for it.
I for one won't be getting one.

Why? Student financial constraints coupled with the recent purchase of the GBA-SP is the reason. I think it looks very obtrusive and has been hit with the ugly stick one too many times.

Just interested to see what others initial impressions are? Feel free to post and vote in the poll and prove me wrong, maybe i've missed the point and the N-gage is the best thing since sliced bread! General comments? Let's hear ya.

Lee

Ewan
15-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Simply put, being a developer, I think it's vital that I have one. The games market especially is going to be huge in this. i'd like to hope that I'll have a suite of OPL apps ready for the launch of the nGage so people can see exactly what the singel determined person can program, and how much fun it is compared to a 3-D Spin Around Multi View 'Platform' game.

If I can get you lot going ga-ga over 3650/7650 games, think what I can ek you did on an nGage!

JyriK
15-05-2003, 03:00 PM
More options please :D
Like Maybe.
To me the n-gage is really nice looking piece of hardware...
But have to see the quality of games for it first.

willbrady
15-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Pesonally I'm not interested in it.

On a company level - sure we will look at it - but this will be bought by kids so I don't think we will push our adult content onto it.
In fact - we can auto detect the handset type on our WAP sites and may even reject this device from accessing our content..

Will

PMidway
15-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Sure. Co-op gameplay in Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell is too hard to resist. :)

yourmanlee
15-05-2003, 03:42 PM
More options please :D
Like Maybe.
quote]

Keepin it simple for the time being! :D

[quote]but this will be bought by kids

True, but Nokia are marketing it as a rival to GBA etc. and (like nintendo) not directly at kids. If i were in the pub and my mate had one i'd want a good look to see what it could do. The proof is in the pudding i guess and we'll wait and see what Ewan and his friends can come up with! :D

Lee

Rafe
15-05-2003, 03:49 PM
At £200 there's no way I'm going to be able to resist. I think this will be a great converstaion starter. Anyway as all round Symbian person I *need* one. Honest!

Ewan
15-05-2003, 03:58 PM
The proof is in the pudding i guess and we'll wait and see what Ewan and his friends can come up with!

I've had some of my apps already running on an N-Gage... I know what I can come up with!

jimmy-floyd
15-05-2003, 05:19 PM
I think i will buy N-gage,Pics of games really inspired me. :P

netzmeista
15-05-2003, 06:36 PM
As the classic anti-early-adopter (i hate myself for that!) it would require a certain market penetration to make me buy one (if all my friends start playing coop team fps-games via bluetooth i can't resist joining in) but i don't see this coming. So for the moment: no.

I'm also quite sure that the game cartridges won't be the big deal on n-gage, but rather small, cheap, easy-to-get j2me-games. Priced at € 4 (like several great gameloft games) it got a lot of impulse-buyer-appeal, you reach a bigger market (all series60 devices) and considering how short those games are there might be rapid sales (bored on your way home? get a game ota!). So i don't see any need to change from one series60-phone to another atm.

J2theIZZO
15-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Hmmm.....go on then, you've twisted my arm :D

I was pretty impressed by it to be honest :o , not what I was expecting.

Orophin Anwarunya
15-05-2003, 10:09 PM
the only thing that will stop me is the price, as with yourmanlee, student liquid assets are not aplenty. :)

this thing about "kids will buy it" is with all due respect, utter nonsense. the gameboy is a kids device but i dont see how that has stopped adults making it a very big market. so, games companies would be crazy not to take a bite out of this cake.

i must admit, its not the most beautiful of devices but its functions outweigh that handicap 10-1. its a series 60, for goodness sakes.

i look forward to its arrival.

GhostDog
15-05-2003, 11:10 PM
I totally agree with you Orophin.And for the matter of having one,i definitely would,if i have the cash of course.My little brother(He is 18) is very pumped up on geting one,and i think he will(He has the cash :D ),so i'll probably get my dirty hands on it :)

MaleBuffy
16-05-2003, 12:02 AM
I dont use handheld game consoles anymore.....I use to when gamboy was still monochrome! But now I prefer a phone with Sereis 60 that basically is the same as a N-gage without the form factor! So why bother?

PMidway
16-05-2003, 03:48 AM
I dont use handheld game consoles anymore.....I use to when gamboy was still monochrome! But now I prefer a phone with Sereis 60 that basically is the same as a N-gage without the form factor! So why bother?

well If you dont like playing games, I guess there arent any reasons why bother. I like playing games with my 7650, but playing with a real directional pad like in N-Gage is sooo much more easier....and I think games will/can be a lot better when developers can use thw whole size of 8MB MMCs instead of few hundred kilobytes like the most of the downloadble games are. Of course, size doesnt matter if the gameplay is bad. :)

Raven
16-05-2003, 06:09 AM
I like games too, but I wouldn't buy a Symbian device just for it's gaming possibilities alone..

GhostDog
16-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Well,ithe N-Gage doesn't have gaming possibilities alone,it has phone possibilities too :D

I think that overall,its a nice device,and its price its not too high.

Raven
16-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Hehe...DUH! :P

So, GhostDog, did you get yourself a P800 yet? :)

GhostDog
16-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Not yet,but i hope i will real soon,still having some cash problems :(

Orophin Anwarunya
16-05-2003, 09:42 PM
so many threads and posts, one would be forgiven to think the N-Gage is already on the market. :D :D

PMidway
17-05-2003, 06:40 AM
By the way, what do guys think about 3300? Its supposed to launch in next month with the price around $350. Of course the price propably will drop little so it may be under $300 in october when N-Gage launches. But do you think there's a market for 3300? Its little smaller than N-Gage and you hold it traditionally when you speak, unlike N-Gage. Personally I think 3300 could be a great little phone for java gaming.

http://www.nokia.com/pics/phones/phone_models/enhancements/thumbnails/enhancements_cc_58d_thumb.jpg

17-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Won't buy. I want to have a phone with integrated camera.

Otherwise N-Gage would have been ultimate choice.

veppis
17-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Ups...that previous post was mine.

jamella
17-05-2003, 10:45 AM
im really eager to take hold on this phone.

GhostDog
17-05-2003, 12:01 PM
By the way, what do guys think about 3300? Its supposed to launch in next month with the price around $350. Of course the price propably will drop little so it may be under $300 in october when N-Gage launches. But do you think there's a market for 3300? Its little smaller than N-Gage and you hold it traditionally when you speak, unlike N-Gage. Personally I think 3300 could be a great little phone for java gaming.

http://www.nokia.com/pics/phones/phone_models/enhancements/thumbnails/enhancements_cc_58d_thumb.jpg

3300? I dont think its Symbian.On Nokia's website it says new UI new design,i guess they are still using NOS but maybe they are not using the standard series 40.The device has loads of features,but should i say no to all third party software already available for series 60 for an FM radio,mp3 player and java.I dont think so :)

Ewan
17-05-2003, 01:37 PM
But it doesn'r run OPL... :-?

xhiver
17-05-2003, 05:07 PM
I heard N-gage will also be a digital music player, and will the quality of the sound nice?

GhostDog
17-05-2003, 07:03 PM
It is a series 60 device so it can be anything you want to be,even the 3650 can be a digital music player,it has MMC and there are couple of mp3 players available,although the sound is mono.I dont know whether the N-Gage will have mono or stereo output,but i'm hoping for stereo

PMidway
17-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I guess its stereo. From n-gage.com...

FULL SPECIFICATIONS

Size
- Weight: 137 g (with standard battery)
- Dimensions: 133,7 x 69.7 x 20,2 mm, 139cc

Design
- Exciting games oriented design:
- Ergonomic game controls for two-hand use (keys divided on both sides
of the screen)
- Five-way directional controller (works eight ways in games)
- High fidelity stereo headset for music player, FM stereo radio, and voice
calls (mono)
- Internal antenna
- Built-in vibrator
- IHF speaker for calls, game sounds, music
- Stereo line in for audio recording (analog)
- Slave USB 1.1. for digital music download from PC

Interactive Games
- Catalogue of branded AAA quality games available at sales start
- Single player games, local multiplayer Bluetooth games
- Games available on game cards (MMC)
- 3.4 MB user memory on device flash

Display and User Interface
- Illuminated high-contrast, full-graphics color display (size 176 x 208 pixels)
- Series 60 graphical user interface enabling application multitasking with
five-way navigation
- Separate application key, music and radio short cut keys, highlighted game
keys

Digital Music Player
- Digital music player for AAC and MP3 files
- Stereo line in for audio recording (analog)
- Slave USB 1.1. for digital music download from PC
- High fidelity stereo headset for music player, FM stereo radio, and voice calls
(mono)
- Integrated recorder (AAC) from analog stereo line connector and FM radio
- Music file download from compatible PC over USB cable
- 64 MB memory card for music
- Handsfree speaker for music listening
- Short cut button to start the Music Player

Enhanced Messaging
- Email protocols (IMAP4, POP3, SMTP, MIME2)
- Multimedia messaging (send, reply, forward, play audio, stop audio, insert
multimedia content) enabling easy and more colorful messaging with
compatible devices
- Enhanced SMS support including: Multiple SMS sending, SMS concatenation,
templates, smileys, and picture messages

* Messaging features are dependent on the network as well as on the compatibility of devices used and content formats supported.

Stereo FM Radio
- News and music available from favorite radio channels
- Automatic next/previous channel seek
- 20 radio channel memory-Integrated recorder (AAC)
- Handsfree speaker for radio
- Short cut button to start the radio

Wireless Connectivity
- Data support HSCSD, GPRS Multislot Class 6 (2+2, 3+1, class B)
- Bluetooth
- Wireless phone-to-phone or phone-to-PC connectivity
- Send/receive pictures, graphics, and business cards
- Play games
- SyncML

Nokia Audio Manager PC Software
- Requires Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows 2000 professional,
Windows XP, USB port (for detailed requirements see User's Guide
provided in the sales package).
-Create AAC music files from CD
-Playlists to organize music files in PC

High Speed Data
- HSCSD up to 43.2 kilobits
- GPRS up to 40.2 kilobits (Class B, 3+1, 2+2)

Java Technology
- Supports the standard Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME™)

Memory
- 3.4 MB internal + external memory cards (32, 64 and 128 Mb available
separately).
- 64 MB memory -card (MMC)
- Shared memory for images, contact data, calendar, messages, and
add-on applications

Operating System
- Symbian OS with Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME™) support

Personal Information Management
- Calendar
- To-Do list
- Contacts/Address book
- Pinboard

Polyphonic Ringing Tones
- Mono ringing tone composer
- MP3, AAC, Midi, WAV ringing tones

Triple Band Operation
- GSM 900/1800/1900; automatic switching between bands

Voice Features
- Voice dialing; memory for 20 names and numbers
- Voice recorder
- Integrated handsfree speaker

WAP
- XHTML over GSM data, HSCSD, and GPRS.
- Access current WAP services with the XHTML browser

Some features are network dependent. Please check the availability of WAP services with your network operator and/or WAP service provider.

Content with XHTML Browser
- XHTML with iMode extension
- Over-the-air download of new Java™-based games/game levels

Standard Sales Package
Transceiver
ACP-12 Charger
HDD-2 Stereo Headset
DKE-2 USB Cable
ADE-2 Recording Cable
ADA-2 Adapter Cable
BL-5C Li-Ion Battery
Booklet (including User's Guide and Warranty card)
CD-ROM
Games brochure

MemphisX
17-05-2003, 08:58 PM
I don't know. it still seems to me high priced and maybe... doomed compared to GBA.

But for me it doesn't compete with GBA (sth different) and if the price will drop to 200 euros I'll go for it but not to replace my 7650...

By the way has anyone heard any news about SE's Red Jade?

xhiver
18-05-2003, 04:40 AM
wow, N-Gage looks very promising i guess. I love to listen to musics, and that's one of the reason i want to buy this phone

LAuRA
19-05-2003, 05:03 PM
I won't be giving up my communicator. I'm not so much into games that I would get a phone just for that purpose. Music (FM radio as wll as mp3s) would be nice and gprs on wap, but it seems to lack internet acces. Vibrator... hmmm 8) But still, I love my 9210 far too much.

PMidway
19-05-2003, 06:30 PM
vibrator...hmmm...do i have a dirty imagination or is it you.... :D I kid, ofcourse.

But N-Gage has internet access, just like other S60 devices have.

jyshiow
20-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Hmmm i am quite certain i will get it...esp if its priced reasonably. Since it runs on the series 60 OS...does it come with all the PIM functions as in my 3650? can i still download applications for it?

GhostDog
20-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Yes,the N-Gage uses exactly the same OS as the 3650(Symbian 6.1 with Series 60 UI),so most of the programs for the 3650 will work with the N-Gage.

jyshiow
20-05-2003, 09:51 AM
haha great..now if only they can squeeze in a camera in the same form factor as well :D

FOX HOUND
20-05-2003, 02:58 PM
i'll still wait for the GameBoyAdvance phone

i have more games on it than i can count (GB-GBC-GBA)

racingboy
21-05-2003, 01:51 PM
ive heard that the games will be expensive.. 50euro for 1! but if the price of the phone is reasenable (around the 400 euro's) i'll buy it. especialy because it has bleutooth, than i can use my hdw-2 on it.

greetzzz

GhostDog
21-05-2003, 02:20 PM
I think the price is 299$ or euro's,but definitely not 400 euro's.

racingboy
21-05-2003, 04:21 PM
oh that's good news. than i will buy it. now it's just the hard part waiting waiting waiting........ :roll:

greetzzz

xhiver
24-05-2003, 02:45 PM
i belive that someone will make a gameboy emulator for N-Gage, so we can download some cool games, maybe... someone will make a gameboy advance emulator for ngage, hehe and n-gage will be the winner and gameboy advance will be a loser.

GhostDog
24-05-2003, 04:10 PM
There is already a gameboy emulator (Not advance) for Series 60,it is freeware and it works quite well although some games are hard to control with the 7650 joystick but the controls on the N-Gage are designed for gaming purposes so no such problem i guess.

FOX HOUND
26-05-2003, 03:12 PM
i belive that someone will make a gameboy emulator for N-Gage, so we can download some cool games, maybe... someone will make a gameboy advance emulator for ngage, hehe and n-gage will be the winner and gameboy advance will be a loser.
i hope so

stripped b.fly
06-07-2003, 08:54 AM
can it be connected too with a camera headset, like 7210,6100, 6610,3530...?

GhostDog
06-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Well,i guess it depends on the camera headset and its connectivity options.The N-Gage is equipped preety good,Bluetooth and USB.

Wolf-Of-Arabia
07-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Someone mensioned to me that u can't talk on the N-gage traditionally, that u need a headset to talk and that there no other way possible. Is this true?? :-?

Kirill
08-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Someone mensioned to me that u can't talk on the N-gage traditionally, that u need a headset to talk and that there no other way possible. Is this true?? :-?

Actually what I said was that the phone looks like it's uncomfortable to talk on as a regular handset and the use of a BT headset might be pretty much the only option due to convenience. However it may just seem so as I thought the same of the 3650 and got used to it. I still like talking on my 7250 better, fits in my hand better.

Wolf-Of-Arabia
08-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Oh, another thing.. Does the N-Gage use truetones (MP3 and AAC files) as ringtones like the 3300, or is it just Midi files that you can use???

GhostDog
08-07-2003, 11:08 PM
As ringtones,no.Only wave and midi.

-edit-

Correction,mp3 and aac too.

N/A
11-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Someone mensioned to me that u can't talk on the N-gage traditionally, that u need a headset to talk and that there no other way possible. Is this true?? :-?No, it is not true.

kiyota
19-07-2003, 02:07 PM
a GBA emulator would be sweet! nonetheless, i'll get an n-gage. :D

jaybadass
17-12-2003, 10:48 PM
i would get one too

boboboboobb
03-06-2004, 11:45 AM
u lot a all fagots