View Full Version : Hundreds of thousands of MS smartphones? Really?

TANKERx
03-04-2003, 02:44 PM
It seems that lies are the order of the day at Microsoft where they have to twist the truth in order to get credit for anything. Poor things, nobody is buying their smartphone so if someone buys a phone that's kind of like their smartphone, only different, Microsoft adds that to the number of SPV sales....

Just wait for Microsoft to start counting sales of Symbian phones for itself because, after all, Symbian is only riding the innovation that Microsoft has made, right? So it's only fair that Microsoft should get the credit, right?

So Orange and Juha are actually talking about two different things. Why they are doing so is also important. Microsoft obviously needs prize partners who're enthusiastic about Windows smartphones and who can be used to encourage more outfits to adopt the platform. So at the moment Orange is Microsoft's special friend; but although Orange must surely enjoy the attention, perhaps Microsoft is not quite so much Orange's special friend.

Read the full article here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/30090.html).

Microsoft eh? What are they like :roll:

langdona
03-04-2003, 03:39 PM
The article also suggests that Orange are quite willing to work with other software manufacturers.

SPV is an Orange-branded phone, and that is what it means by SPV-style. "Orange-owned devices." Juha's first million could therefore, conceivably, include numbers of shipments of Orange-badged Symbian, or Series 60, or PalmOS devices, or even the one that Orange is currently considering that is "not even a smartphone, but uses a proprietary OS." Shhhhhshh.... as they say.

This may go some way to explaining why Orange are Platinum Sponsers (http://www.symbian.com/exposium/orange.html) of the Symbian Exposium later this month.

GhostDog
03-04-2003, 04:45 PM
This is really funny,i think i'm starting to feel sorry about Billy Boy,well.....i'm not that sentimental ;)

-Edit-

I really love The Regster(TM) ending: Buy an SPV, get five developers moving into your spare room? Quite a package

thejpzr
05-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Just wait for Microsoft to start counting sales of Symbian phones for itself because, after all, Symbian is only riding the innovation that Microsoft has made, right? So it's only fair that Microsoft should get the credit, right?

TankerX what the heck are you talking about? The Register has been lying many times in the past (they have for example written 6 articles about jpzr of which many contained lies) and this time it is not credible source of any information too!

Better let's discuss here some features of phones!!!

The fact is that in 1 year Symbian may well be yet ( :D ) dominating the market for smartphones, but in 2-3 years Microsoft will overtake them ( 8) ) - latest developments (latest UK update for SPV that makes it rock-solid, introduction of .NET Compact Framework for Smartphones, release of upcoming new MS Smarthone OS, etc) prove it!

What innovation is it to use MMC card in 3650 and other Nokia phones? it has only maximum size of 128 MB and is much much slower than SD cards available in Microsoft powered phones - and SD are available now up to 1 GB!!!

What kind of innovation is this: mono sound? Heh? MS Smartphones can play in stereo any MP3 files while 3650 doesn't even have stereo sound output!!!!

Features, pal! Features! And not some mumbling from those liars at The Register!

GhostDog
05-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Funny!!!

Have you considered a carreer change?
Picture this:

The Late Night Show,with thejpzr and his band of features.

The features you are talking about are trivial.

How many devices do you see runing your "excelent" SmartPhone OS?
How many devices do you see runing Symbian OS?

Sales,pal! Sales! I will not accuse anyone of lying.

langdona
05-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Well jpzr, its all very well to bash the Register but there seemed to be very little positive that came out of the Paris event. It seems to have got little or no coverage from any of the other main general technology news sites.

Also would you like to explain exactly what was wrong with the Register's report?

If Orange are really firmly in the Microsoft camp why are they a Platinum sponser (one of the main 3) of the Symbian developer exposium later this month?

I've only got a 64meg MMC on my 9210 but that is fine for my needs. Perhaps MS Smartphone 2002 has bigger applications and requires more space? ;)

I think the biggest hurdle that MS has to climb is the fact that none of the major phone manufacturers want MS in its devices no matter how good or bad it is. The world is very wary of MS and once you loose peoples trust its very hard to get it back again.

thejpzr
05-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Well jpzr, its all very well to bash the Register but there seemed to be very little positive that came out of the Paris event. It seems to have got little or no coverage from any of the other main general technology news sites.

you can see incredibly big amount of info about this MDC (just go there, click on "Search" and type there "MDC") from my website if you wish, but of course it is not main web site.

If Orange are really firmly in the Microsoft camp why are they a Platinum sponser (one of the main 3) of the Symbian developer exposium later this month?

NO, Orange is not in Microsoft camp as such - Orange is an operator and is supporting many platforms.

I've only got a 64meg MMC on my 9210 but that is fine for my needs. Perhaps MS Smartphone 2002 has bigger applications and requires more space? ;)

yes, MP3 playback and Video playback - both running smoothly on MS Smartphone.

I think the biggest hurdle that MS has to climb is the fact that none of the major phone manufacturers want MS in its devices no matter how good or bad it is. The world is very wary of MS and once you loose peoples trust its very hard to get it back again.

Samsung is nr 3 manufacturer in the world, with very big growth rate, and it is about to release MS Smartphone end of this year - so again you are wrong. Also Motorola announced making phones with MS Smartphone but rather in next year. So 2 out of 3 biggest are going to go for MS Smartphone. And the rest, if will not follow, will become obsolete.

langdona
05-04-2003, 05:02 PM
I did mean general news sites rather that Smartphone based, I was not having a go at your site.

Well I have a few video clips on my 9210 but would not want to use it for any major viewing. I'd buy a portable DVD if I wanted to do that.

I'm not at all convinced about Samsung's MS smartphone will it ever be released? Even if it is, it will be well after their first Symbian device after all they are part owenrs of Symbian now.

I think MS will be completely out of the Smartphone market in a couple of years time but only tiime will tell ;)

GhostDog
05-04-2003, 05:12 PM
yes, MP3 playback and Video playback - both running smoothly on MS Smartphone.

You can have mp3 playback and video playback runing smooth on any Symbian device,though some of them might have only mono output(P800 has stereo).

Samsung is nr 3 manufacturer in the world, with very big growth rate, and it is about to release MS Smartphone end of this year - so again you are wrong. Also Motorola announced making phones with MS Smartphone but rather in next year.

About announcements,Motorola announced a Symbian device allso and for Samsung: Samsung has just released its first Series 60 phone, the SGH-D700. It will be available in the second half of 2003.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9228&highlight=samsung

What about something less vapourware then Microsoft PR talk?
Need i say more?

SwitchBlade
05-04-2003, 08:39 PM
MP3 playback and Video playback are neat toys, unfortunately they aren't really anything special that M$ have got that Symbian doesn't. MP3 sucks, so I'll stick by my MiniDisc when I want music. As has been mentioned if I want video there's portable DVD and TV, all I use video for on my 9210 is playing silly clips to my mates.

Necessary features? No. Funky toys? Yeah.

So really, it's not features that will win leading OS, just toys.

Dazler
06-04-2003, 12:05 AM
mp3 and good video are features that sell.
Microsoft could indeed generate a massive market, if they only get it working like it should and it they would get a good operator (Symbian has Nokia and Ericsson so there is nothing left :p)

Symbian/Epoc have the ugliest unattractive UI I ever seen!
If I wouldn't know better I would choose a microsoft pda.

We are winning at the moment but there is mush to be improved.
The p800 is a step in the good direction with it's slightly better looking interface and better specs (I believe video playback and mp3 are better)

Most smartphones will be sold by their "wow" level. The presentation and the cool features. Having a phone that plays full screen movies at good quality or which plays games like Interstellar flames impresses people.

Microsoft is way better at presentation.

Let's hope that the next communicator will be a bomb :D

Stereo sound and more speed and more memory will be needed to keep people impressed.

Moka
06-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Well...that number is VERY ambitious, and it could only happen if the cost of these handsets is irresistable, because the physical phones look crappy - bland generic design. And the MS software looks very second rate, and not that reliable either. But, Microsoft suceeded in the handheld market after a terrible start, with buggy software, and it can do the same in this market too.

I believe in the end the most important thing will be if a phone supports Java...and I think Symbian's big competition will come from Linux and other micro OS's...