View Full Version : Rafe's on his way to Paris...

Rafe
02-04-2003, 09:32 AM
I'm going to be away for a few days. I have a feeling that this may start a storm! I'm attending the Mobius conference run by Microsoft. The conference is being held in Paris and accomodation and travel is paid for by Microsoft. So if I'm a bit quiet for a few days you' know why. Read full story for more.

The Mobius conference is a long running Microsoft tradition where they invite webmasters from various Mobile related websites and blogs to be shown Microsofts latest offerings and discuss the mobile sphere in general.

When I got e-mailed being offered a place my first impressions was.. hmm Microsoft, but on reflection I thought that I couldn't turn down an opportunity like this (and as someone said to me think The Register, 'Integrity - we've heard of it!'). Seriously though it interesting that MS have invited Symbian and Palm sites, and I'm sure it will be a learning experience for some. I am well aware that people on both sides are ignorant of what the other gets upto. In smartphone terms Europe is Symbian stronghold and it hasn't really established in the US yet. I'm looking forward to showing my P800 off!

Its going to be a great chance to meet with other webmasters (such as Michal from My-Symbian, Pocket PC Thoughts, PDA Geek and others) and learn about Microsoft's plans.

I do realise that some people will not agree with my taking part. However I think that not only is it important to have a broad perspective on the coming (or happening mobile revolution) it is foolish to ignore one side or the other.

Anyway I'm open to debate on this issue, and of course if anyone has any questions of things they'd like raised please post here or e-mail them to me and I'll do my best to get them answered. I'll update to the site here only in summary where relevant, but since I'm not sure what the connectivity is going to be like we'll see. The best bet will be to check out my (currently poor) blog (http://rafe.symbiandiaries.com) which I can post to more easily, and I'll probably talk about things more generally.

Anyway the only way to go is full disclosure so I'll be letting you know what happens. The first of these is that Microsoft is paying for my Paris flight this afternoon.

Rafe

MaleBuffy
02-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Go for it. Take lots of photos....and if you see Bill Gates....kick him in the butt! :D

MemphisX
02-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Go for it pal. Not a microsoft fan nor hater, although i don't like their strategy they may learn by notes like these, and this is good. Making ms stronger, makes competition stronger and most importantly customers happier. Do not forget to take photos...

Rafe
02-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Go for it. Take lots of photos....and if you see Bill Gates....kick him in the butt! :D

Thanks guys.

Will do. I'll tell hims its from MaleBuffy :)

I'm taking camera phones and a digital camera so lots of pictures hopefully.

Rafe

langdona
02-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Good luck and enjoy all the freebies. After all they can afford it ;)

Oh and I hope you going to wear one of your T-Shirts :)

TANKERx
02-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Kick back and relax and enjoy!

Just watch out for the mind-melding fangirls!

langdona
02-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Just watch out for the mind-melding fangirls!

Is that the latest act at the Moulin Rouge :bday:

GhostDog
02-04-2003, 10:31 PM
What!!?! Rafe sold out to MS?!?!?

Just kidding :D

Have a nice trip Rafe and dont forget to bring some dirkside tools back :)

naivri
03-04-2003, 06:14 AM
sod that

free trip to paris acoomodation paid for?!?!??!

i wouldnt give a toss who was offering it....i would go

lol

i have mastered the art of looking like im interested when I am actually thinking about something else completely

go for it

thejpzr
03-04-2003, 06:43 PM
I do realise that some people will not agree with my taking part. However I think that not only is it important to have a broad perspective on the coming (or happening mobile revolution) it is foolish to ignore one side or the other.

Bravo, Rafe! I always was thinking that you deserve being invited there.

Also: you should not worry about yourself, Symbian-related webmaster, going to Microsoft's conference! After all you live in free country - UK, and not in soviet-like Finland.

I can only say: HABA HABA HABA. Hah, haha, ha. :D :D :D

04-04-2003, 08:21 AM
This is a quick post from a Pocket PC fanbo- expertt by the name of Mike (don't kill me!), who's currently sitting across the room from Rafe. Just to say that he has been converted, and is now a happy SPV user. ;)

Ewan
04-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Using an SPV because you've been given it freely <> Converted to MS Smartphones. ;-)

Ewan
04-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Anyone interested in Rafe's thoughts half way through Mobius? He's just messaged me (showing off with Fastxt I think) that there are some thoughts on his Blog, which is at http://www.symbiandiaries.com/rafe/

04-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Using an SPV because you've been given it freely <> Converted to MS Smartphones. ;-)
So pedantic! ;)

Although I'm a Pocket PC owner (my site is http://www.pocketgamer.org), there are a huge number of problems (both minor and major) with the SPV at the moment. Not to worry, though - Rafe has been letting everyone know about them. :D

GhostDog
04-04-2003, 11:32 AM
The important thing is that Rafe is having a great time there,people are nice and he got a freebie,well...it is an SPV,but its free!!!

At least that was the impression i got after reading his Diary.

Ewan
04-04-2003, 11:39 AM
So pedantic! ;)

I take it your browser doesn;t support the <irony> tag yet?

Although I'm a Pocket PC owner (my site is http://www.pocketgamer.org), there are a huge number of problems (both minor and major) with the SPV at the moment. Not to worry, though - Rafe has been letting everyone know about them. :D

Why doesn't that surprise me - mind you there are problems with pretty much every device, it just depends on what sort of level of annoyance they cause you if you can live with it. Oh for the perfect days of DOS 5.0 and the HP200LX again...

05-04-2003, 11:05 AM
I take it your browser doesn;t support the <irony> tag yet?
Sorry, I was using an SPV at the time, which doesn't support HTML tags just yet. ;)

Why doesn't that surprise me - mind you there are problems with pretty much every device, it just depends on what sort of level of annoyance they cause you if you can live with it. Oh for the perfect days of DOS 5.0 and the HP200LX again...
Funny you should mention it. I own a 95 LX, 100 LX and 200 LX, and I (almost) completely agree with you. I still haven't forgiven HP for the abominations that followed the finest range of palmtops ever to have existed.

Ewan
06-04-2003, 10:25 AM
The SPV doesn;t support HTML tags at all???

As the 200LX range, once you up the intrernal memory to 64mb, double speed the processor... :-)

And of course it runs Norton Commander.

thejpzr
06-04-2003, 10:30 AM

of course it does supporrt HTML ! not only HTML: it has even JavaScript built in into the Internet Browser.

GhostDog
06-04-2003, 11:30 AM

of course it does supporrt HTML ! not only HTML: it has even JavaScript built in into the Internet Browser.

Wow!

J2theIZZO
06-04-2003, 04:29 PM

Wow!

Indeed, WOW!

07-04-2003, 12:34 AM
I think you must have been using that browser that misses off the [irony] tags... ;)

As the 200LX range, once you up the intrernal memory to 64mb, double speed the processor...
Snap! :D

Ever see the MorphyOne (http://www.morphyone.org/) project? A real pity that nothing ever came of that...